    'Application Data' or 'Program Files'?

    Thanks

    Lee

    PangoKen, Jun 10, 2007

  2. PangoKen

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "PangoKen" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > I've recently installed the google calendar gadget. Unfortunately it's
    > saving the 'Google Calendar-Google.gg' file to the folder 'C:
    > \Documents and Settings\Lee\My Documents\My Google Gadgets' rather
    > than the actual location of my 'My Documents' folder (which I've set
    > up on a different drive).

    Just because YOU moved your documents to some unspecified place, doesn't
    mean Windows, or other applications, knows what you've done to relocate data
    files. Google used the Windows default.

    > Is there any way to force this application to save folders to the
    > correct directory.

    Ask Google.

    > Also, does this really have to be under a 'My
    > Documents' folder?

    Ask Google.

    > Surely this should sit in a sub-directory of
    > 'Application Data' or 'Program Files'?

    No, it really shouldn't. It is a much better practice to keep data located
    away from the actual program location.

    Tip: if you want your data folder called "My Documents" to be relocated, do
    it correctly. Right-click on "My Documents", select "Properties" and then
    use the Move option there. That way, Windows and applications get the
    message that "Hey - this guy wants his data over -----> there!"

    WhzzKdd, Jun 10, 2007

  3. PangoKen

    PangoKen Guest

    On 10 Jun, 23:23, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "PangoKen" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi

    > > I've recently installed the google calendar gadget. Unfortunately it's
    > > saving the 'Google Calendar-Google.gg' file to the folder 'C:
    > > \Documents and Settings\Lee\My Documents\My Google Gadgets' rather
    > > than the actual location of my 'My Documents' folder (which I've set
    > > up on a different drive).

    > Just because YOU moved your documents to some unspecified place, doesn't
    > mean Windows, or other applications, knows what you've done to relocate data
    > files. Google used the Windows default.
    >

    > > Is there any way to force this application to save folders to the
    > > correct directory.

    > Ask Google.
    >
    > > Also, does this really have to be under a 'My
    > > Documents' folder?

    > Ask Google.
    >
    > > Surely this should sit in a sub-directory of
    > > 'Application Data' or 'Program Files'?

    > No, it really shouldn't. It is a much better practice to keep data located
    > away from the actual program location.
    >
    > Tip: if you want your data folder called "My Documents" to be relocated, do
    > it correctly. Right-click on "My Documents", select "Properties" and then
    > use the Move option there. That way, Windows and applications get the
    > message that "Hey - this guy wants his data over -----> there!"

    Hi

    Google did NOT use the windows default, that's why I've posted here!!
    I have actually moved the folder and other applications recognise the
    new location of this folder.

    not sure I agree with your post about the proper location of files.
    why should the My Documents folder be cluttered with application data
    and not... my documents:-(

    Lee

    PangoKen, Jun 11, 2007
  4. PangoKen

    PangoKen, Jun 11, 2007
  5. PangoKen

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "PangoKen" <> wrote in message
    > On 10 Jun, 23:23, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> "PangoKen" <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi

    >> > I've recently installed the google calendar gadget. Unfortunately it's
    >> > saving the 'Google Calendar-Google.gg' file to the folder 'C:
    >> > \Documents and Settings\Lee\My Documents\My Google Gadgets' rather
    >> > than the actual location of my 'My Documents' folder (which I've set
    >> > up on a different drive).

    >> Just because YOU moved your documents to some unspecified place, doesn't
    >> mean Windows, or other applications, knows what you've done to relocate
    >> data
    >> files. Google used the Windows default.
    >>

    >> > Is there any way to force this application to save folders to the
    >> > correct directory.

    >> Ask Google.
    >>
    >> > Also, does this really have to be under a 'My
    >> > Documents' folder?

    >> Ask Google.
    >>
    >> > Surely this should sit in a sub-directory of
    >> > 'Application Data' or 'Program Files'?

    >> No, it really shouldn't. It is a much better practice to keep data
    >> located
    >> away from the actual program location.
    >>
    >> Tip: if you want your data folder called "My Documents" to be relocated,
    >> do
    >> it correctly. Right-click on "My Documents", select "Properties" and then
    >> use the Move option there. That way, Windows and applications get the
    >> message that "Hey - this guy wants his data over -----> there!"

    > Hi
    >
    > Google did NOT use the windows default, that's why I've posted here!!
    > I have actually moved the folder and other applications recognise the
    > new location of this folder.

    Did you move the folder the way I outlined above? If not, then you merely
    moved the data, and had your applications locate the data there as well.
    It's NOT the same thing as changing the default location of the My Documents
    shell folder.

    > not sure I agree with your post about the proper location of files.
    > why should the My Documents folder be cluttered with application data
    > and not... my documents:-(

    Application data is data. It should be stored with other computer data.
    Applications should be stored separately. This way, if an app (or OS) dies,
    the data remains.

    WhzzKdd, Jun 11, 2007
  6. PangoKen

    PangoKen Guest

    On 11 Jun, 19:34, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > "PangoKen" <> wrote in message

    > > On 10 Jun, 23:23, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > >> "PangoKen" <> wrote in message

    > >> Just because YOU moved your documents to some unspecified place, doesn't
    > >> mean Windows, or other applications, knows what you've done to relocate
    > >> data
    > >> files. Google used the Windows default.

    > >> Ask Google.

    > >> Ask Google.

    > >> No, it really shouldn't. It is a much better practice to keep data
    > >> located
    > >> away from the actual program location.

    > >> Tip: if you want your data folder called "My Documents" to be relocated,
    > >> do
    > >> it correctly. Right-click on "My Documents", select "Properties" and then
    > >> use the Move option there. That way, Windows and applications get the
    > >> message that "Hey - this guy wants his data over -----> there!"

    > > Hi

    > > Google did NOT use the windows default, that's why I've posted here!!
    > > I have actually moved the folder and other applications recognise the
    > > new location of this folder.

    > Did you move the folder the way I outlined above? If not, then you merely
    > moved the data, and had your applications locate the data there as well.
    > It's NOT the same thing as changing the default location of the My Documents
    > shell folder.
    >
    > > not sure I agree with your post about the proper location of files.
    > > why should the My Documents folder be cluttered with application data
    > > and not... my documents:-(

    > Application data is data. It should be stored with other computer data.
    > Applications should be stored separately. This way, if an app (or OS) dies,
    > the data remains.

    if i right click the My Documents folder, the properties tab shows the
    'Target Folder Location' box with the restore default, move and find
    target buttons. if i display the properties tab of the C:\Documents
    and Settings\Lee\My Documents folder it looks like any other *normal*
    folder properties window. tweakui also reports that the My Documents
    folder points to the new location. the problem is google desktop. I'll
    try uninstall, reinstall to see if that fixes it.

    > Application data is data. It should be stored with other computer data.
    > Applications should be stored separately. This way, if an app (or OS) dies,
    > the data remains.

    fine, but the point is most other application store this 'application
    data' in a separate folder away from the 'My Documents' folder. Like
    'Local Settings\Application Data' for example. storing Application
    Data for this app in My Documents is poor data management

    Thanks

    Lee

    PangoKen, Jun 11, 2007