    of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    thousands of important files.

    Are there any programs that can get that folder back?
    Rock Gibbons, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Rock Gibbons

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Rock Gibbons" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
    > of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    > thousands of important files.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

    Oh, so you didn't backup first? Duh...

    First, look in C:\documents and settings and see if there are more than one
    user account. If so, you're looking in the NEW "My Documents", and your data
    is probably in the OLD "My Documents".
    WhzzKdd, Mar 24, 2007

  3. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

    > Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
    > of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    > thousands of important files.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

    D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007
  4. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007
  5. Rock Gibbons

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
    >
    >> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
    >> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    >> thousands of important files.
    >>
    >> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

    > D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!

    My sentiments exacly <g>

    The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting up
    fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?
    WhzzKdd, Mar 24, 2007
  6. Rock Gibbons

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

    > Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
    > of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    > thousands of important files.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

    The folder should be there. When you upgraded it just made a new my doc
    folder. Look in Documents and Settings and the tree under that.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Mar 24, 2007
  7. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
    >>
    >>> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
    >>> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    >>> thousands of important files.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

    >> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > My sentiments exacly <g>
    >
    > The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting up
    > fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

    Meerkat did his best to get the guy doing one step at a time, but the guy
    just went off at a tangent every time meerkat was trying to keep him
    focussed.

    It's the stoopid fucker's own stoopid fault if he HAS lost all that stuff.

    One way or another we all pay for lessons learned.

    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007
  8. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>

    >> My sentiments exacly <g>
    >>
    >> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting
    >> up
    >> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

    > Meerkat did his best to get the guy doing one step at a time, but the guy
    > just went off at a tangent every time meerkat was trying to keep him
    > focussed.
    >
    > It's the stoopid fucker's own stoopid fault if he HAS lost all that stuff.
    >
    > One way or another we all pay for lessons learned.

    Thanks A.
    And God knows I tried, but I suspected he was too
    bloody inpatient.
    bw..
    meerkat, Mar 24, 2007
  9. Rock Gibbons

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
    >>
    >>> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
    >>> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    >>> thousands of important files.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

    >> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>

    > My sentiments exacly <g>
    >
    > The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting up
    > fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

    I was thinking the OP upgraded Home to Pro, maybe not?

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Mar 24, 2007
  10. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:55:37 +0000, meerkat wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> My sentiments exacly <g>
    >>>
    >>> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting
    >>> up
    >>> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

    >> Meerkat did his best to get the guy doing one step at a time, but the guy
    >> just went off at a tangent every time meerkat was trying to keep him
    >> focussed.
    >>
    >> It's the stoopid fucker's own stoopid fault if he HAS lost all that stuff.
    >>
    >> One way or another we all pay for lessons learned.
    >>

    > Thanks A.
    > And God knows I tried, but I suspected he was too
    > bloody inpatient.
    > bw..

    I followed tha whole sorry saga all yesterday and into the night. Real
    car-crash stuff. I could see him champing at the bit and going off
    tangentially and just knew it was going to end in tears. Well, for him
    anyway.

    You were like the little boy pushing his finger in the dyke but the deluge
    was bound to come sooner or later :)

    Still, it was amusing while it lasted.

    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007
  11. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >
    >> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >>>

    >> My sentiments exacly <g>
    >>
    >> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting
    >> up
    >> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

    > I was thinking the OP upgraded Home to Pro, maybe not?

    He went in, and deleted `a load of old files`, and
    buggered his machine up.
    but he`d got `hundreds` of files with no backup, so
    I tried to help him rescue his system.
    I couldn`t even get him to respond 1 post to 1,
    to create a `conversation`.

    bw..
    meerkat, Mar 24, 2007
  12. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:24:03 +0000, meerkat wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:40:53 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message

    >>> My sentiments exacly <g>
    >>>
    >>> The real question is if the computer is "running perfectly quiet, booting
    >>> up
    >>> fine", why did they do a "new install of Windows"?

    >> I was thinking the OP upgraded Home to Pro, maybe not?
    >>

    > He went in, and deleted `a load of old files`, and
    > buggered his machine up.
    > but he`d got `hundreds` of files with no backup, so
    > I tried to help him rescue his system.
    > I couldn`t even get him to respond 1 post to 1,
    > to create a `conversation`.
    >
    > bw..

    He made one helluva meal of a thirty-minute job :)

    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007
  13. Rock Gibbons

    Jerry G. Guest

    Look in to Documents And Settings, and see if the old files are there.

    Have you ever thought of making a system backup policy?

    Invest a few dollars in to a second hard disk, and get a good imaging
    software. At the same time, it is good security to keep independent
    backups of all your user files.

    I don't know what it is with most people. They will spend a large sum of
    money for a computer, but when it comes to buying software, and some
    type of security for their system, they have no resources...???

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Mar 24, 2007
  14. Rock Gibbons

    meerkat Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:24:03 +0000, meerkat wrote:
    >
    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> I was thinking the OP upgraded Home to Pro, maybe not?
    >>>

    >> He went in, and deleted `a load of old files`, and
    >> buggered his machine up.
    >> but he`d got `hundreds` of files with no backup, so
    >> I tried to help him rescue his system.
    >> I couldn`t even get him to respond 1 post to 1,
    >> to create a `conversation`.
    >>
    >> bw..

    > He made one helluva meal of a thirty-minute job :)

    Yes he sure did. Mind you it brighten up a few dull
    hours.
    Computers are about the only exciting thing I do now.
    %> ).
    meerkat, Mar 24, 2007
  15. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    I take back all the compliments I gave you yesterday MeerKat. For an
    old fart you are just as silly, uncouth, and savage as the rest of
    these nattering nabobs of negativism. :)

    You don't have any civility at all do you? I expect that from these
    uneducated beasts here. I incorrectly assumed you were a notch or two
    more humane.

    You're a piss poor excuse for a 75 year old my friend.

    My mama tells me that it's nice to be important...but at the same time
    it's IMPORTANT to be nice.

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 24, 2007
  16. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Thank you for the manner and spirit of your post.

    I have some programs here like the police use to recover data that has
    been erased.

    I'm sure one of them will be able to recover the old "my documents"
    folder if I do it in a few minutes before I write over it.

    And so the merda flows!

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 24, 2007
  17. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:20:11 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

    > I take back all the compliments I gave you yesterday MeerKat. For an
    > old fart you are just as silly, uncouth, and savage as the rest of
    > these nattering nabobs of negativism. :)
    >
    > You don't have any civility at all do you? I expect that from these
    > uneducated beasts here. I incorrectly assumed you were a notch or two
    > more humane.
    >
    > You're a piss poor excuse for a 75 year old my friend.
    >
    > My mama tells me that it's nice to be important...but at the same time
    > it's IMPORTANT to be nice.

    Rock- you don't understand. You were the architect of your own (and your
    computer's) misfortune. Meerkat put an awful lot of effort yesterday (a
    lot more than I would have done) to help fix your situation.

    He tried to get you to slow down and take one step at a time. It looked to
    me like you weren't even reading his replies. He even put time aside to
    help you and you didn't take his advice- you just went on your own merry
    way.

    It was obvious from your first few posts in this thread that all was
    likely to end in disaster.

    Next time someone of greater knowledge than yourself of any subject tries
    to share some of that knowledge and experience, stop- listen -follow
    instructions to the letter then wait for further instructions.

    It's a pity you've had to learn this lesson in such a way, but maybe next
    time you'll be more willing to heed advice and act on it without twisting
    all the knobs and pressing all the buttons in the hope that it'll put
    things right. It won't and now you know that.

    It was so fucking amusing to watch. I didn't want to look but I just had
    to keep coming back to see the latest instalment.

    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007
  18. Rock Gibbons

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:22:07 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:

    > Thank you for the manner and spirit of your post.
    >
    > I have some programs here like the police use to recover data that has
    > been erased.
    >
    > I'm sure one of them will be able to recover the old "my documents"
    > folder if I do it in a few minutes before I write over it.
    >
    > And so the merda flows!
    >
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:43:43 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:10:10 -0500, Rock Gibbons wrote:
    >>
    >>> Computer running perfectly quiet, booting up fine, but the new install
    >>> of Windows XP Pro SP2 overwrote that folder. I have lost tens of
    >>> thousands of important files.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any programs that can get that folder back?

    >>The folder should be there. When you upgraded it just made a new my doc
    >>folder. Look in Documents and Settings and the tree under that.

    I've always found EasyRecovery Pro to work extremely well.

    Aardvark, Mar 24, 2007
  19. Rock Gibbons

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Look in to Documents And Settings, and see if the old files are there.
    >
    > Have you ever thought of making a system backup policy?
    >
    > Invest a few dollars in to a second hard disk, and get a good imaging
    > software. At the same time, it is good security to keep independent
    > backups of all your user files.
    >
    > I don't know what it is with most people. They will spend a large sum of
    > money for a computer, but when it comes to buying software, and some
    > type of security for their system, they have no resources...???

    Yeah - I had a kid bring me a drive from his PC. He said "it just quit".
    After a few minutes of questioning, he admited he was getting BSODs for a
    week, and did nothing but restart. Now, the drive is non-accessible, and 80G
    of data is lost forever - guy did no backups.

    I wanted to tell him "If your dog has a broken leg, take it to the vet
    BEFORE it quits breathing."
    WhzzKdd, Mar 24, 2007
  20. Rock Gibbons

    Rock Gibbons Guest

    Wow! This weekend continues to be the weirdest weekend I have had in
    all my years of computing.

    I just booted up again and this time I decided to use the operating
    system at the bottom even though the spelling of the two lines were
    identical.

    To my amazement, it booted up into the old XP PRO from two days ago.
    Everything is there, and the programs are running without the error
    message like before.

    The entire MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER IS THERE!

    So you know what I did first?

    I took youse guys advice. I formatted the hard drive before that "My
    Documents" folder got away again. I'm going to get a clean start.

    No actually, I created a folder on my "D" drive named "My documents"
    and I'm trying to copy all the files there as a backup.

    Sadly, every time I try and do a copy, I get this message:
    Preparing to install

    Please wait while windows configures "Adobe Acrobat 8 "

    I click cancel and it goes away, but the my document files are not
    getting copied.

    So now I'm running spybot trying to figure out where that goofy
    message is coming from.

    Any ideas on how to stop it?

    Things are looking up. :)

    Rock Gibbons, Mar 26, 2007