My CUSTOM Versions Of Mozilla Fiorefox & Mozilla Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Norvin Adams III, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. http://www.bigview.net/norvin/files/

    Since the early release versions, I have made custom versions of both
    Mozilla Firefox & Mozilla Thunderbird. My CUSTOM version of Mozilla
    Firefox is meant for users who are making the switch from Microsoft
    Internet Explorer. My CUSTOM version of Mozilla Thunderbird is meant
    for users who are making the switch from Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft
    Outlook Express, or another similar e-mail program. It has the Calendar
    Extension installed and many other enhancements the default release
    version of Mozilla Thunderbird doesn't have. The SPAM controls are nice
    as well.

    If you like both, please let me know.

    Below are some of the differences my custom versions have...

    Mozilla Thunderbird 0.6

    1) Message Window Behavior is set to open messages in new windows.

    2) Thunderbird Start Page is turned off.

    3) Messages are displayed using Variable Width Font.

    4) Spell Checking is turned on.

    5) Messages composed with HTML will be sent as HTML even if the
    recipient prefers plain text.

    6) Mostly Crystal Theme (mostlycrystal_tb_5.jar) by CatThief installed
    and turned on.

    7) Calendar Extension (calendar_windows_20040618.xpi) by OEone Corp.
    and Mozilla installed & configured.

    8) Get All Messages Extension (getmess.xpi) by Chris Neale installed.

    9) Weather Extension (weather 1-0-final.xpi) by Matt Moyer installed.

    10) Remote image loading disabled. This helps with avoiding SPAM as
    SPAMMERS use this to verify what e-mail addresses they have are working
    or not.

    11) E-mail Address Collection is turned off.

    12) Messages are marked as read as soon as they are clicked on.

    13) If a read receipt is requested from a sender, one will not be sent.

    14) Display Attachments Inline is turned off.

    15) Thread Column & Read Column not shown.

    16) E-mail Size Column shown.

    17) Junk Column moved all the way to the left.

    18) Address Book configured.

    - Screen Name & Organization columns not shown.
    - Mobile & Home Phone columns shown.
    - Instant Message button not shown.

    19) After several attempts to get e-mail reply headers to show in
    Mozilla Thunderbird without success, I found a way to have the FROM &
    DATE headers added into the message. Hopefully, this issue will be
    corrected in a future version of Mozilla Thunderbird. Many thanks go
    out to the people that thought of this fix.

    Mozilla Firefox 0.8

    1) Google is set as the default start page.

    2) History is set to 30 days.

    3) Download Manager History is cleared upon exiting Mozilla Firefox.

    4) Cookies are allowed for the originating web site only.

    5) You will be asked where to save files whenever you download files.

    6) The Download Manager will stay open upon completion of a download.

    7) File Types are all removed since everyone uses different programs
    to open the same thing.

    8) Luna Theme (luna_0.6.3.jar) by Chris Cook installed and turned on.
    Mozilla Firefox will look like MSIE 6 SP-1.

    9) Tabbrowser Preferences Extension (tabprefs_0.5.xpi) by Chris Cook
    installed & configured to allow proper tabbed browsing.

    10) Spell Checker (spellcheck.xpi) & Spell Checker Front End 0.3
    (spellcheckerfe0_3.xpi) by Torisugari installed & configured. The Spell
    Checker will check the spelling of any text entered into any text box.
    Simply right-click in any text box and then left-click on "Check
    Spelling". The Spell Checker uses the standard U.S. English Dictionary.

    11) "Use Find As You Type" & "to search links only" are both turned off.

    12) "Use autoscrolling" is turned off.

    13) "Use smooth scrolling" is turned on.

    14) "Resize large images to fit in the browser window" is turned off.

    15) Bookmarks Toolbar is turned off.

    16) Print & New Tab buttons added to Navigation Toolbar.

    17) "Use Small Icons" is turned off.

    18) A few handy BOOKMARKS to have are added.

    19) Dogpile, eBay, Vivisimo, weather.com, Webster, & Yahoo added to the
    drop down search box list.

    20) Macromedia Flash Player 7 installed.

    ENJOY,
    Norvin Adams III

    Norvin Adams III, Jun 22, 2004

  3. Norvin Adams III

    Colin Kern Guest

    Re: My CUSTOM Versions Of Mozilla Firefox & Mozilla Thunderbird

    Norvin Adams III <???@msn.com> wrote in message news:<>...
> [...]
    > (spellcheckerfe0_3.xpi) by Torisugari installed & configured. The Spell
    > Checker will check the spelling of any text entered into any text box.
    > Simply right-click in any text box and then left-click on "Check
    > Spelling". The Spell Checker uses the standard U.S. English Dictionary.
    >
    > 11) "Use Find As You Type" & "to search links only" are both turned off.
    >
    > 12) "Use autoscrolling" is turned off.
    >
    > 13) "Use smooth scrolling" is turned on.
    >
    > 14) "Resize large images to fit in the browser window" is turned off.
    >
    > 15) Bookmarks Toolbar is turned off.
    >
    > 16) Print & New Tab buttons added to Navigation Toolbar.
    >
    > 17) "Use Small Icons" is turned off.
    >
    > 18) A few handy BOOKMARKS to have are added.
    >
    > 19) Dogpile, eBay, Vivisimo, weather.com, Webster, & Yahoo added to the
    > drop down search box list.
    >
    > 20) Macromedia Flash Player 7 installed.

    Why would you send HTML formatted messages to people who prefer plain
    text? This just guarantees that they will see an ocean of angular
    brackets and not bother to try to pick out the actual message from the
    email.
    Colin Kern, Jun 29, 2004
  4. Re: My CUSTOM Versions Of Mozilla Firefox & Mozilla Thunderbird

    Colin Kern wrote:
    >> 5) Messages composed with HTML will be sent as HTML even if the
    >>recipient prefers plain text.

    > Why would you send HTML formatted messages to people who prefer plain
    > text? This just guarantees that they will see an ocean of angular
    > brackets and not bother to try to pick out the actual message from the
    > email.

    Arrh!

    Maybe next time you could *trim* the original message to only the line
    you're actually replying to (as this newsgroup's etiquette also lists as
    a ground rule http://www.mozilla.org/community/etiquette.html) so that I
    *don't* have to go through all 40 points the guy lists before I know
    what you're talking about.

    I wish I started scanning top-down instead of bottom up, grmbl >.< ...

    ~Grauw

    Laurens Holst, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Norvin Adams III

    Shankar Unni Guest

    Laurens Holst wrote:

    > Maybe next time you could *trim* the original message to only the line
    > you're actually replying to [...]

    Heh, heh..

    FYI: Apparently the netscape.mozilla.* groups on secnews.netscape.com
    have exactly the *opposite* imprimatur - every time I try to trim a
    posting there when replying to it, some officious **** jumps down my
    throat..

    You should see some of the postings there: 1000+ lines of quote with one
    line of reply in the middle there, and they seem to think that's a feature.

    Just FYI - show mercy to the non-trimmers - they have probably had that
    conditioning burned into them elsewhere..
    Shankar Unni, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Norvin Adams III

    Moz Champion Guest

    Shankar Unni wrote:

    > Laurens Holst wrote:
    >
    >> Maybe next time you could *trim* the original message to only the line
    >> you're actually replying to [...]

    > Heh, heh..
    >
    > FYI: Apparently the netscape.mozilla.* groups on secnews.netscape.com
    > have exactly the *opposite* imprimatur - every time I try to trim a
    > posting there when replying to it, some officious **** jumps down my
    > throat..
    >
    > You should see some of the postings there: 1000+ lines of quote with one
    > line of reply in the middle there, and they seem to think that's a feature.
    >
    > Just FYI - show mercy to the non-trimmers - they have probably had that
    > conditioning burned into them elsewhere..

    Crosspost snipped. Please do not crosspost between multiple groups and certainly do not crosspost between servers.

    No, the policy of not trimming was adopted after years of experience in assisting with problems in a newsgroup.
    In a typical problem, many solutions are suggested and reported on, or other questions asked and answered. If snipping is enforced or commonplace, then a person coming in would have to re-read the entire thread just to know if x has been tried, or whatever.

    While on a non technical newsgroup, snipping may be quite common and requested, in a technical group, snipping is more of a hindreance than assistance. While that may or may not apply here, the entire context of this thread has been totally lost with your snip of course. There is nothing about someones custom versions of Firefox or Thunderbird in it now.

    So, if you want to snip, thats your perogative of course, but it certainly doesnt help in technical groups. I prefer to read one message with all the pertinant data, rather than each and every post in a thread, just to know whats going on, whats been tried heretofore and suchwhat.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Norvin Adams III

    db cooper Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 04:42:48 +0000, Moz Champion wrote:

    > Shankar Unni wrote:
    >
    >> Laurens Holst wrote:
    >>
    >>> Maybe next time you could *trim* the original message to only the line
    >>> you're actually replying to [...]

    >> Heh, heh..
    >>
    >> FYI: Apparently the netscape.mozilla.* groups on secnews.netscape.com
    >> have exactly the *opposite* imprimatur - every time I try to trim a
    >> posting there when replying to it, some officious **** jumps down my
    >> throat..

    Thanks for the helpful information regarding the original post.

    --
    db cooper
    Registered Linux user #264482 Powered by Mandrake 10.0
    db cooper, Jul 13, 2004