My concerns about Miramax' SHAOLIN SOCCER

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by HONG KONGer, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. HONG KONGer

    HONG KONGer Guest

    Stephen Chow was originally the one who is dubbing for himself, but recently
    I read that Miramax have changed it to another guy who can speak better
    English, and I found they really changed it to another guy in the latest
    trailer, it's indeed a good change. I personally don't really worry about if
    the movie is dubbed or not as long as it stays with the original meanings
    and they're pronounced correctly. But not dubbing is always better.

    I'm more being concern about they changed the sound effects, background
    music and they cut away some scenes.

    From the Miramax trailers I can see some sound effects and background music
    are changed. They are important, the original are very well done and
    exciting. From the second trailer from Miramax website, notice the sound
    effect are changed when the fireball turning into a tiger and the lady
    parking scene, and more.

    Get Miramax trailers from:
    www.shaolinsoccer.com
    HONG KONGer, Jun 23, 2003

  2. HONG KONGer

    Major ChrisB Guest

    "HONG KONGer" <> wrote in message
    > Stephen Chow was originally the one who is dubbing for himself, but

    recently
    > I read that Miramax have changed it to another guy who can speak better
    > English, and I found they really changed it to another guy in the latest
    > trailer, it's indeed a good change. I personally don't really worry about

    if
    > the movie is dubbed or not as long as it stays with the original meanings
    > and they're pronounced correctly. But not dubbing is always better.
    >
    > I'm more being concern about they changed the sound effects, background
    > music and they cut away some scenes.

    think thats bad....Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The Eye.....
    Major ChrisB, Jun 23, 2003

  3. HONG KONGer

    TetsuwanATOM Guest

    "Major ChrisB" <> wrote in message

    > "HONG KONGer" <> wrote in message
    > > Stephen Chow was originally the one who is dubbing for himself, but

    > recently
    > > I read that Miramax have changed it to another guy who can speak better
    > > English, and I found they really changed it to another guy in the latest
    > > trailer, it's indeed a good change. I personally don't really worry

    about
    > if
    > > the movie is dubbed or not as long as it stays with the original

    meanings
    > > and they're pronounced correctly. But not dubbing is always better.
    > >
    > > I'm more being concern about they changed the sound effects, background
    > > music and they cut away some scenes.

    > think thats bad....Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The Eye.....

    One good thing about Asian remake fever is that many of these bozos are just
    trying to get in on the act and appear on top of things, half the projects
    wont get made, especially after the really bad ideas do poorly at the box
    office.
    TetsuwanATOM, Jun 23, 2003
  4. HONG KONGer

    Major ChrisB Guest

    "TetsuwanATOM" <> wrote in message

    > "Major ChrisB" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "HONG KONGer" <> wrote in message
    > > > Stephen Chow was originally the one who is dubbing for himself, but

    > > recently
    > > > I read that Miramax have changed it to another guy who can speak

    better
    > > > English, and I found they really changed it to another guy in the

    latest
    > > > trailer, it's indeed a good change. I personally don't really worry

    > about
    > > if
    > > > the movie is dubbed or not as long as it stays with the original

    > meanings
    > > > and they're pronounced correctly. But not dubbing is always better.
    > > >
    > > > I'm more being concern about they changed the sound effects,

    background
    > > > music and they cut away some scenes.

    > > think thats bad....Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The

    Eye.....

    > One good thing about Asian remake fever is that many of these bozos are

    just
    > trying to get in on the act and appear on top of things, half the projects
    > wont get made, especially after the really bad ideas do poorly at the box
    > office.

    I've not seen the origional but The Ring was excelent right except the end.
    I've seen The Eye several times and it's amazing.....I cant imagine a
    western film capturing the same tension and suspense though
    Major ChrisB, Jun 23, 2003
  5. HONG KONGer

    PaulStation Guest

    >>> think thats bad....Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The
    >>> Eye.....

    I've seen The Eye several times and it's amazing.....I cant
    > imagine a western film capturing the same tension and suspense though

    I wasn't mad on The Eye to be honest. It started well, and had its moments
    of nail-biting tension and scares- but the ending let it down somewhat
    IMHO...

    --
    PaulStation
    PaulStation, Jun 23, 2003
  6. HONG KONGer

    ashnak Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:27:39 -0500, "TetsuwanATOM"
    <> wrote:

    >"Major ChrisB" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "HONG KONGer" <> wrote in message
    >> > Stephen Chow was originally the one who is dubbing for himself, but

    >> recently
    >> > I read that Miramax have changed it to another guy who can speak better
    >> > English, and I found they really changed it to another guy in the latest
    >> > trailer, it's indeed a good change. I personally don't really worry

    >about
    >> if
    >> > the movie is dubbed or not as long as it stays with the original

    >meanings
    >> > and they're pronounced correctly. But not dubbing is always better.
    >> >
    >> > I'm more being concern about they changed the sound effects, background
    >> > music and they cut away some scenes.

    >> think thats bad....Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The Eye.....
    >>

    >One good thing about Asian remake fever is that many of these bozos are just
    >trying to get in on the act and appear on top of things, half the projects
    >wont get made, especially after the really bad ideas do poorly at the box
    >office.

    It isn't limited to "Asian Remake". I just saw the add for the, looks
    like, word for word US version of Coupling.
    ;-)
    "He's a sorcerer, that one.
    He reads the thoughts in my brain"
    Mark Lenard
    Star Trek
    Balance of Terror
    ashnak, Jun 23, 2003
  7. HONG KONGer

    Major ChrisB Guest

    "ashnak" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:27:39 -0500, "TetsuwanATOM"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Major ChrisB" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "HONG KONGer" <> wrote in message
    > >> recently

    better

    latest

    > >about
    > >> if

    > >meanings

    background

    > >> think thats bad....Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The

    Eye.....

    > >One good thing about Asian remake fever is that many of these bozos are

    just
    > >trying to get in on the act and appear on top of things, half the

    projects
    > >wont get made, especially after the really bad ideas do poorly at the box
    > >office.
    > >

    > It isn't limited to "Asian Remake". I just saw the add for the, looks
    > like, word for word US version of Coupling.

    yeah theres an episode of friends in the last season thats almost word for
    one an episode of coupling.

    Chandler visits richard's old appartment and finds a porn tape with monicas
    name on it in a closit after much negotiation whether to watch it or not he
    asked joey to watch it for him, joey saw it and then chandler watched it and
    monica caught them, was furious at chandler, watched it herself then
    discovered it wasn't her and he'd taped over her with someone else and none
    of them noticed it wasn't her.

    in Coupling Steve visited Patrick's flat to find a tape of Susan in the
    closit, he asked Jeff to watch it for him coz he didn't want to watch it
    himself, susan arrives at the flat to find the three of them watching it
    then discovers its not her and get pissed off coz patrick taped over her and
    none of them noticed it wasn't her
    Major ChrisB, Jun 23, 2003
  8. HONG KONGer

    sagacity Guest

    > > Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The Eye
    >
    > Tell U something, the CG of both The Eye and Shaolin Soccer is done by the
    > same company.

    And your point is....?

    --
    sag
    sagacity, Jun 23, 2003
  9. HONG KONGer

    Max Guest

    "ashnak" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:27:39 -0500, "TetsuwanATOM"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Major ChrisB" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "HONG KONGer" <> wrote in message
    > >> recently

    better

    latest

    > >about
    > >> if

    > >meanings

    background

    > >> think thats bad....Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The

    Eye.....

    > >One good thing about Asian remake fever is that many of these bozos are

    just
    > >trying to get in on the act and appear on top of things, half the

    projects
    > >wont get made, especially after the really bad ideas do poorly at the box
    > >office.
    > >

    > It isn't limited to "Asian Remake". I just saw the add for the, looks
    > like, word for word US version of Coupling.

    I watched it the other day. Truly awful if youve seen the UK version.
    Max, Jun 23, 2003
  10. HONG KONGer

    JP Guest

    they always use different sound fx and music for movie trailers
    anyway.....so i'm not too concerned about what is heard in the trailers.

    anyone remember the american trailer to Supercop in the scene where jackie
    and michelle yeoh both jump into a window but jackie gets in first and the
    window closes making michelle hit it? and he opens it up and says "Sorry"
    (in a badly dubbed voice). i'm so glad that wasn't in the movie...

    > Stephen Chow was originally the one who is dubbing for himself, but

    recently
    > I read that Miramax have changed it to another guy who can speak better
    > English, and I found they really changed it to another guy in the latest
    > trailer, it's indeed a good change. I personally don't really worry about

    if
    > the movie is dubbed or not as long as it stays with the original meanings
    > and they're pronounced correctly. But not dubbing is always better.
    >
    > I'm more being concern about they changed the sound effects, background
    > music and they cut away some scenes.
    >
    > From the Miramax trailers I can see some sound effects and background

    music

    JP, Jun 23, 2003
  11. HONG KONGer wrote:

    > I'm more being concern about they changed the sound effects, background
    > music and they cut away some scenes.

    Whine now, but sounds as if one of the confirmable "cut scenes" will be
    our heroes', um, BRIEF stint as Shaolin Nightclub Singers--
    Miramax wants to keep the action on the soccer field, for the PG set.

    (Which means we probably won't get that deleted dance number restored,
    either.) : )

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Jun 23, 2003
  12. HONG KONGer

    Kez Guest

    sagacity wrote:
    >>> Tom Cruise has bought the rights to remake The Eye

    >> Tell U something, the CG of both The Eye and Shaolin Soccer is done
    >> by the same company.

    > And your point is....?

    that the CG for both films was done by the same company.

    what's YOUR point?
    Kez, Jun 23, 2003
  13. HONG KONGer

    sagacity Guest

    > >> Tell U something, the CG of both The Eye and Shaolin Soccer is done
    > >> by the same company.

    > > And your point is....?

    > that the CG for both films was done by the same company.
    >
    > what's YOUR point?

    Ah right! I must've misread that bit. My mistake!

    --
    sag
    sagacity, Jun 23, 2003
  14. HONG KONGer

    PaulStation Guest

    > yeah theres an episode of friends in the last season thats almost
    > word for one an episode of coupling.
    >
    > Chandler visits richard's old appartment and finds a porn tape with
    > monicas name on it in a closit after much negotiation whether to
    > watch it or not he asked joey to watch it for him, joey saw it and
    > then chandler watched it and monica caught them, was furious at
    > chandler, watched it herself then discovered it wasn't her and he'd
    > taped over her with someone else and none of them noticed it wasn't
    > her.
    >
    > in Coupling Steve visited Patrick's flat to find a tape of Susan in
    > the closit, he asked Jeff to watch it for him coz he didn't want to
    > watch it himself, susan arrives at the flat to find the three of them
    > watching it then discovers its not her and get pissed off coz patrick
    > taped over her and none of them noticed it wasn't her

    Friends is fucking bollocks now. Series 5 and 6 weren't *too* bad- but it
    all went dramatically downhill from series 7 onwards. Why don't they just
    learn to quit while they're ahead? Chandler doesn't half piss me off now- in
    the first few series he had some fantastic lines.

    My favourite episode is "The One with the Hypnosis Tape" from series 3
    starring Giovanni Ribisi (in an absolutely stunning comedic performance) as
    Frank Jr. Absolutely hilarious stuff :eek:)

    --
    PaulStation
    PaulStation, Jun 23, 2003
  15. HONG KONGer

    ashnak Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:43:30 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, ashnak
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> It isn't limited to "Asian Remake". I just saw the add for the, looks
    >> like, word for word US version of Coupling.
    >> ;-)

    >Given how few episodes of The Coupling there are, if the US version
    >isn't canceled in a couple weeks it won't stay a word for word version
    >for long :)

    It just pisses me off the lack of creativity in network programming.
    This is lower than the Vince Vaughn version of Pscho.
    ;-)
    ashnak, Jun 23, 2003
  16. HONG KONGer

    Magpie13 Guest

    I hear Leonardo DiCaprio is up for the title role in Ikiru.

    On a similar note, Brendan Fraser has been tapped for the lead in the
    Hollywood remake of Dodeskaden.

    Just kidding...trying to scare myself...

    They can remake whatever they want. Hell, if it calls attention to the
    original and encourages more people to seek out Kurosawa (or any other
    filmmaker) then more power to 'em.

    The Ring is a good example. A nice, faithful translation of a classic. Just
    saw part 2 the other day, enjoyed that also.

    Films like The Ring or The Eye are prime targets for Hollywood. No period
    costumes, no cultural ambiguities (maybe some symbolism gets lost, but it is
    lost on foreign viewers anyway) and themes common to us all. I was amused
    when the Thai and Chinese characters in The Eye had to use English to
    communicate. Felt like I was watching the remake already : )

    Mark

    Magpie13, Jun 24, 2003
  17. > (Evil) wrote:
    >JLo's SHALL WE DANCE (DANSU)? remake and Tom Hanks' IKIRU remake both
    >leave me shaking my head.

    I don't have any problems with an American remake of Shall We Dance.
    The original is very good, and hopefully JLo will make an equally
    appealing film. (Although it was in many N.American theatres, the ads
    I saw for Shall We Dance were without actor names and illustrated by
    showing a dancing couple from the knees down.)
    Maureen Goldman, Jun 24, 2003
  18. HONG KONGer

    TetsuwanATOM Guest

    "ashnak" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:43:30 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, ashnak
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >> It isn't limited to "Asian Remake". I just saw the add for the, looks
    > >> like, word for word US version of Coupling.
    > >> ;-)

    > >Given how few episodes of The Coupling there are, if the US version
    > >isn't canceled in a couple weeks it won't stay a word for word version
    > >for long :)

    > It just pisses me off the lack of creativity in network programming.
    > This is lower than the Vince Vaughn version of Pscho.

    now now, that's not nice, lol. LOL LOL. LOL.
    TetsuwanATOM, Jun 24, 2003
  19. HONG KONGer

    zzleepy2 Guest

    Sweet Zombie Jesus wrote:

    > If they cut out the night club scene, it'll make no sense as to
    > why Stephen Chow is fighting the hecklers in the upcoming scene.

    It made no sense to many people, why they burned the boy's
    report card in The Eye, a desperate act since the chance of
    him getting it in the afterlife is remote because it's not burnt
    on the anniversary and not by relatives.
    zzleepy2, Jun 24, 2003
  20. HONG KONGer

    Ped Xing Guest

    Ped Xing, Jun 24, 2003