my computer woes...help please (sorry it's long)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fibs, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. fibs

    fibs Guest

    First here are my comp specs:

    Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz CPU 800Mhz FSB
    ASUS P4S800 800FSB 8X AGP Motherboard
    5PCI/8XAGP/ 6USB 2.0 Ports
    120GB 7200RPM Western Digital Harddrive
    512MB Micron PC3200 DDR400 Memory
    52x24x52 Mitsumi CDRW Drive
    OPTORITE COMBO DC4801 [CD-RW/DVD drive]
    128MB GeForce FX5200 8X DDR Video Card TVout/DVI
    High quality 6-Channel AC97 Audio
    1.44 Floppy Disk Drive
    56K Modem & 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
    350watt Mid Tower Case with Front USB 2.0
    Boka speakers and sub-woofer
    Windows XP Home

    The other day I turned my computer off to reboot ( I usually do that
    once a week or so) and when it went to reboot it got through the bios
    screen, then a ASUS screen that I get. When it got to that blip of screen
    that shows your comp info before it loads the OS it stopped and said could
    not find and enter system disk. I put in the XP Home disk and tried to run
    the repair but it gave me an error that I couldn't use it ( sorry can't
    recall the exact error at the moment). I just cancelled out of it and tried
    to restart. It finally did boot after a couple restart attempts. It should
    be noted that as far as I can tell I did not have any comp issues before
    this, so it was a surprise to me.

    Needless to say I was petrified that I was losing the hard drive so I
    backed up everything I wanted to keep. Since I had (as far as I knew), a
    good boot. Everything was working that I tested -internet, antivirus,
    windows media, firewall etc. with the exception that now when I re-boot my
    Norton antivirus auto-protect does not come on automatically, it shows it as
    disabled until I enable it manually. I have scanned my system thoroughly
    with Trend-Micro housecall (internet based) and it has not shown any
    infections. Next I decided to get rid of whatever I didn't want anymore and
    downloaded a couple of programs to try to diagnose what was wrong. With most
    of the things I removed and both additions I had to restart the computer, it
    has since recognized the OS each time with no problem but I am getting a
    strange grinding noise when the floppy drive light is lit (during boot as
    well as when some programs,windvd mostly, access it). My hard drive has
    always had a semi-loud somewhat grinding noise for boot, but the other noise
    is even louder. I tried both advanced system optimizer and system mechanic 5
    for diagnostics. I had a bad off registry so I fixed what I found and most
    of anything else they offered up as needing to be corrected. I can't recall
    which program but one told me there was an error with the disk so I did the
    command chkdsk/f and it did it's task and rebooted to Windows sign on. I
    also ran the Western Digital program to check my hard drive and it said (I
    scanned it twice with the normal mode and once with the deep scan) that
    everything was fine. It has been working well ever since, except for my
    graphics issues.

    I have had to turn my hardware acceleration down to the very basics
    because I am having serious issues with my graphics card and/or display
    driver. The other night I was checking out a couple of movie trailer
    websites, on some of the trailers the screen would go black every few
    seconds and then come back to the video until it finally restarted my comp.
    Some times if in one of the moments where I could see the screen I closed
    WinDVD 5 it would go back to normal. During one of these episodes I turned
    off restart and checked out the error screen and it was "thread stuck in
    device driver" but only zeros for the stop error number. Also, I tried to
    play a DVD movie in my DVD drive using media player and it said it could not
    play because there was something wrong with the video card. I can usually
    use media player fine, I have tried movie trailers, movies I have on my hard
    drive and other video clips I have. All since I turned down the
    acceleration.

    I am going to replace the graphics card because I want something geared more
    towards high gaming systems, and I am going to add more RAM.

    So now, on to my questions. Should I also replace the hard drive? Does
    anyone have any idea what could cause my system to act this way? Any
    suggestions on the best mid-range graphics card right now? Would it help any
    if I re-formatted my hard drive? Via testing I was told that I could handle
    up to 3072 MB of RAM more than what I currently have, would adding two 1GB
    additions be too much for my system to handle? (I know that mathmatically I
    have enough room, I am trying to find out if it would be too taxing on my
    current setup). Can I just drop my floppy drive all together?

    Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

    fibs
    fibs, Oct 2, 2005

  2. fibs

    John Holmes Guest

    fibs blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Format, reinstall.

    --
    Your mother was a morbid cretin who ran an unsuccessful cab company in a
    bag.
    John Holmes, Oct 2, 2005

  3. fibs

    poppaman2 Guest

    Your system will handle the additional RAM if you want to install it...
    Makke sure you set the system board BIOS to "no floppy present" if you
    remove/disconnect it.

    I would first try to defrag the computer, run the usual anti virus and
    spyware checks, and if still having issues, try replacing the video
    card. From what you've posted, the video card might indeed be bad, but
    the behavior might also be other stuff...

    poppaman2, Oct 2, 2005
  4. fibs

    Bob B Guest

    Go to the site that manufactures your hard drive and download a tool that
    will check the condition of your hard drive or even have a look at this Bob
    http://www.computerhope.com/help/hwd.htm

    Bob B, Oct 2, 2005
  5. fibs

    Trax Guest

    "fibs" <pb_fibs@$earthlink.net> wrote:

    |>The other day I turned my computer off to reboot ( I usually do that
    |>once a week or so) and when it went to reboot it got through the bios
    |>screen, then a ASUS screen that I get. When it got to that blip of screen
    |>that shows your comp info before it loads the OS it stopped and said could
    |>not find and enter system disk.

    Seeing as your going to be taking the cover off, check the cables to
    your hard drive and where it connects to your MoBo.

    A loose cable will give you this error, and allow you to boot up as
    well; just depends upon which pins are connected at the time.

    Trax, Oct 2, 2005
  6. fibs

    The One Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > fibs blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > >

    > Format, reinstall.

    You idiot, you know nothing.
    The One, Oct 2, 2005
  7. fibs

    Buffalo Guest

> [...]
    > drive and other video clips I have. All since I turned down the
    > acceleration.
    >
    > I am going to replace the graphics card because I want something geared more
    > towards high gaming systems, and I am going to add more RAM.
    >
    > So now, on to my questions. Should I also replace the hard drive? Does
    > anyone have any idea what could cause my system to act this way? Any
    > suggestions on the best mid-range graphics card right now? Would it help any
    > if I re-formatted my hard drive? Via testing I was told that I could handle
    > up to 3072 MB of RAM more than what I currently have, would adding two 1GB
    > additions be too much for my system to handle? (I know that mathmatically I
    > have enough room, I am trying to find out if it would be too taxing on my
    > current setup). Can I just drop my floppy drive all together?
    >
    > Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    Since your HDD passed the Western Digital test, it may be OK.
    It was smart to back up everything, just in case.
    Check that your HDD is mounted solidly (maybe a mounting screw came loose, etc)
    and that the cable connections to it are seated properly at the HDD and at the
    motherboard.
    If you ever have to replace your Power Supply Unit, buy a minimum size of 400w
    quality one.
    In your BIOS, set the first boot device to be your HDD (usually IDE-0) so that
    it doesn't check the floppy each time.
    Perhaps you have your anti-virus program set to check your floppy drive at
    startup also.

    Your video card should be also sufficient.
    Download and install the latest drivers for that card.(free and easy to do)
    If your vid care has a fan on it, make sure it is clean and spins at full speed.

    I would recommend adding a 1GB stick of memory rather than a smaller one because
    if you decide to add more memory later, the 1GB one only occupies one slot.
    Unless you're into video editing,etc 1.5GB of memory should do nicely.
    Buffalo, Oct 2, 2005
  8. fibs

    John Holmes Guest

    The One blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> fibs blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >> > Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    >> >

    >> Format, reinstall.
    >>

    > You idiot, you know nothing.

    Get fucked, then.

    --
    Your mother was a spoiled chemist who flagellated herself in an old
    sewage works.
    John Holmes, Oct 2, 2005
  9. "John Holmes" on 10/2/2005 in
    <> after much thought,came up
    with this jewel:

    > fibs blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    > > Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    > >

    > Format, reinstall.

    Have you been taking trolling lessons from pcbuttfucker?
    -max

    --
    Playing Nice on Usenet:
    My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/
    What's in a Name?, Oct 3, 2005
  10. fibs

    > The One blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    > > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > >> fibs blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > >> Format, reinstall.
    > >>

    > > You idiot, you know nothing.
    > >

    > Get fucked, then.
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a spoiled chemist who flagellated herself in an old
    > sewage works.

    You populate this newsgroup pertending to know about computers, but really
    you are just a big head wannabee.
    The One, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Your hard-drive is failing. Back up your data immediately. Things you
    may not want to leave behind: EMail, webpage bookmarks, My Documents
    Folder, Files/Folders on the desktop.

    Backup data first, run scandisk in safemode to prove yourself wrong.
    Reformat and be forever glad you listened when that sucker goes out.

    This is a failing hard-drive.

    NC
    fibbing has never impressed me.

    __| |