My computer will not start properly

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony, Jun 4, 2007.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Hi I hope you can give me some idea as to what is wrong with my
    computer.
    First of all my specs. Jetway motherboard, AMD 64bit processor, 200mb
    sata Maxtor drive, DVD drive and CD drive, 1 GB of ram. On board ATI
    Radeon Xpress 200. Using Windows XP Pro 64bit.
    I have been using the computer for at least 18 months with no problems
    have a virus program running al the time (Avast). Then a week ago the
    computer just shut down well viewing pictures and then went in to a
    constant re-boot. Tried all ways of trying to cure the problem by
    looking on the internet for solutions using my laptop. After days of
    trying decided to re-install windows. It would not let me do even
    though I tried 3 times but it was no good. So I then used Active Kill
    and completely wiped the hard drive. Put the windows cd in and it
    started to load. Used F6 to load the sata drivers and was able to
    install windows to completion. I then installed only a small amount of
    programs to enable me to download mail. Went to bed a happy bunny.
    Next morning switched th computer on and guess what it started it's
    same problem, would not load properly cam up with various errors to
    many to mention and this time another interesting thing happened the
    cd woul not inithialise properly it just kept on trying to go through
    it start process. It did boot eventuly but it was not long before the
    same thing happened again. Went through the whole procedure again of
    kill, format and re-install but only to get the same problems. I have
    know idea if it is the hard drive, power supply, motherboard memory or
    the operating system. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing
    me all this hassle?
    Regards
    Tony

    Tony, Jun 4, 2007

  2. Tony

    Theo Guest

    Unfortunately it's not easy to say what is causing your
    problems. It could be a virus, corrupted system files,
    defective memory, hard drive going bad, power supply, a
    defective component on the motherboard, CPU overheating, etc.

    It's just not a simple solution and requires some trouble
    shooting.

    Theo, Jun 4, 2007

  3. Theo is right, there's no easy way to resolve this. It could be a million
    things - but, Theo mentions only the worst-case scenario's - particularily
    with the rough age of your machine, it could be something trivial, but it
    may not be trivial to find.

    The smart thing to do will be to look for the cheap and easy solutions
    first, a couple of posts down 'Diron' posted a cry for help - the recipy in
    your situation is the same as I lined out there, disconnect everything
    inside and have it re-seated. Try and swap your IDE Flat- Cables for new
    ones, and try to boot with only one stick of memory, if that's what you're
    having try and borrow another stick of the same kind somewhere.

    If that fails, think about heat and if you added devices to the system
    lately think about power. And do copy the messages and look in 'Event
    Viewer' for errors and warnings that seems to be duplications, some of those
    will likely be searchable on the KB (MS Knowledge Base!)

    Oh, and good luck!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 4, 2007
  4. Tony

    w_tom Guest

    Good thing you did not reload windows. That could complicate
    everything AND destroy important information. Step through the
    problem using principles even from CSI: "follow the evidence". That
    means change nothing. Collect facts until a suspect is identified.

    For example, Windows works around problems, keeps working, and
    stores that event in a system (event) log. Did you review that log at
    any time? Can you boot in safe mode (or do you know what safe mode
    and other booting options are)? Did you also review Device Manager?
    Important information that would be destroyed if Windows was reloaded.

    Again, don't try to replace or swap anything. Simply break the
    problem down into parts, and then only study that subsystem. One
    subsystem that can make everything look defective is a power supply
    'system'. Notice I said 'system'; not just a power supply. A two
    minute procedure, that will accuse or exonerate 'system' components,
    is "When your computer dies without warning....." starting 6 Feb 2007
    in the newsgroup alt.windows-xp at:
    http://tinyurl.com/yvf9vh
    Everything accomplished must result in numbers. No way to repair a
    system without a screwdriver, that 3.5 digit multimeter, and numbers.
    Multimeter is so 'complicated' as to be sold even in K-mart. Even an
    Ipod is far more complex. Multimeters for $20 or less are found in
    Wal-mart, Lowes, Radio Shack, Tru-value Hardware, .... where ever
    screw drivers are sold. The tool is that ubiquitous.

    Not only must voltages exceed numbers in that procedure. Also post
    them here so that better educated posters will reply. Your replies
    will only be as useful as information posted. That means numbers.

    If the power supply system is exonerated, only then are we ready to
    move on to other suspects. IOW your entire computer is 'unknown'.
    Every part must become either 'definitively good' or 'definitely
    bad'. If everything is unknown, then all work previously performed
    was wasted - including trying to reload windows. We accomplish by
    working throught the problem - convert everything from unknown to
    'definitively good or bad'.

    Again, if fixing anything without very good reason to do so, then
    you may exponentially complicate the problem. One fear - reloading of
    Windows may have done just that.

    After a power supply 'system', then next we will move to
    comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Responsible computer
    manufacturers provide comprehensive diagnostics just for this reason.
    If your manufacturer is not responsible, then start downloading
    diagnostics from the idividual component manufacturers or third party
    sources. Hardware that can cause system to crash - video processor,
    memory, CPU, power supply 'system', sound card, and motherboard.
    Things that will not create crashes include keyboard, monitor, disk
    and CD drives, and NIC.

    Solving computer problems is really quite simple. Problem is that
    many never learned how to step through problems - don't even
    understand a concept in CSI: 'follow the evidence'. Too many want to
    fix this and fix that only on speculation. That exponentially
    complicates problems. The foundation of every computer system is its
    power supply. That subsystem must be converted to 'definitively good'
    before anything else can be analyzed or even suspected. Get the
    meter. It is the best way you have of collecting numbers. Numbers
    are also essential to making your posts useful; to attract useful
    replies.

    w_tom, Jun 6, 2007
  5. Honestly, Tom. I think we all know your method will be the correct way to go
    about resolving such an issue, but if I come to you with these symptoms and
    you know you have to hand me the bill - could you fix it for less than a
    completely new machine? I seriously doubt it. What you would do, is you
    would start re-seating, and that failing you would go on to swapping, and
    that failing you would bill me a new motherboard and two hours. Am I right,
    or am I right?

    Beyond that, I think that asking someone you don't know to poke around
    inside with a meter is not the best advice. A good education and
    professional pride in the bagage, it must be hurting to see such un-informed
    drivel as ours, but I assure you, my method is educating too, and it saves
    us a good deal of time and money, while most of the time we end up not
    knowing what really was the matter. The profusion of exchangeable devices at
    low cost doesn't warrant putting valuable man-hours into a true and
    revealing fail-search.

    Beyond all that, I fully agree, power is the foundation!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Tony

    w_tom Guest

    Task as posted takes about two minutes. Long part is learning basic
    debug techniques.

    It is routine to see shotgunning result in condeming perfectly good
    parts - taking much longer time - and even complicatng he problem. Do
    you remember computers even in the 1960s? I do. What did then still
    applies today. Yes computers back then were that simple.

    Again, that long post means two minutes of labor. Even swapping a
    power supply takes significantly longer.

    On Jun 5, 9:22 pm, "Tony Sperling" <>
    wrote:
    > Honestly, Tom. I think we all know your method will be the correct way to go
    > about resolving such an issue, but if I come to you with these symptoms and
    > you know you have to hand me the bill - could you fix it for less than a
    > completely new machine? I seriously doubt it. What you would do, is you
    > would start re-seating, and that failing you would go on to swapping, and
    > that failing you would bill me a new motherboard and two hours. Am I right,
    > or am I right?
    >
    > Beyond that, I think that asking someone you don't know to poke around
    > inside with a meter is not the best advice. A good education and
    > professional pride in the bagage, it must be hurting to see such un-informed
    > drivel as ours, but I assure you, my method is educating too, and it saves
    > us a good deal of time and money, while most of the time we end up not
    > knowing what really was the matter. The profusion of exchangeable devices at
    > low cost doesn't warrant putting valuable man-hours into a true and
    > revealing fail-search.
    >
    > Beyond all that, I fully agree, power is the foundation!

    What was posted takes about two minutes. Long part is learning
    basic debug techniques.

    It is routine to see shotgunning result in condeming perfectly good
    parts - taking much longer time - and even complicatng he problem. Do
    you remember computers even in the 1960s? I do. What we learned then
    still applies today. Yes they really were that simple then. Again,

    w_tom, Jun 6, 2007
  7. Tony

    Theo Guest

    But he did reload windows. From his post below:

    Theo, Jun 6, 2007