My Computer Was "Smokin'...Literally! Why is it Still Working?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Monica, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Was using my computer Saturday, nothing out of the ordinary. Two, maybe
    three programs open (FF, OE and PS Elements), when the screen flashed to the
    dreadful blue screen with this error message...

    PFN_List_corrupt. 0x0000004E (0x00000099 0x00478EC3) 0x00000000, 0x00000000
    If this is the first time (it was), restart.

    Didn't panic. Took a picture of the screen so I could Google the error. I
    hit the power button on the front of the (Dell Dimension 8400) and this is
    when things went south :eek: Instead of the system shutting down, something
    (power supply, fan...I don't know) started revving up like a jet taking off.
    I think the thing would have taken flight (or exploded) if I hadn't gotten
    it unplugged in time. In the time (about 7 seconds) it took me to realize
    something was dreadfully wrong and to get to the plug, there was smoke
    coming out of the back of the computer. Ask me how glad I am that I FINALLY
    got that external hard drive and backed up all my precious pictures, movies
    and important files just 2 weeks earlier! I've never had a bit of problem
    with this system and it runs flawlessly (or DID) :eek:
    Called Dell. Four year old computer is still under full warranty for 2 more
    months. Great! I won't have to pay for the new part. Uh, forget the new
    part, they're sending a new computer! What? They said "our computers
    aren't supposed to smoke" (ya think <lol>) "so we're sending you either a
    reburbished Dim 8400 or if we don't have an 8400, a newer upgraded model".
    I'm shocked, grateful but honestly not looking forward to setting up a new
    computer. So, with nothing to lose (and after Dell said do NOT plug the
    computer back into the wall), I plugged the computer back into the wall just
    to see what would happen. Booted up just fine. Is running as if nothing
    happened. I don't know how long it takes a system to get really hot, but
    I'm not staying on it very long at a time before shutting down and
    unplugging it. WHAT could have revved up so violently that it smoked yet it
    still works? And in case anyone asks, no, it wasn't dust, it was smoke. I
    did a quick search on the PFN_LIST_Corrupt error message but found no
    mention of anyone's doing (mechanically) what mine did. I'm afraid to keep
    it plugged in very long at a time in case over heating is/was an issue. So
    far all the components are intact and operating like they should. My
    husband wonders if the two Seagate external drives (one is 7200rpm desk
    model and the other a 5400rpm portable drive) could be the culprit but I
    really don't think so. Neither drive was busy at the time and have been in
    use for 2-3 weeks.

    Monica

    Monica, Mar 2, 2009

  2. Monica

    G. Morgan Guest

    Monica wrote:

    <snip>

    >I'm afraid to keep
    >it plugged in very long at a time in case over heating is/was an issue. So
    >far all the components are intact and operating like they should. My
    >husband wonders if the two Seagate external drives (one is 7200rpm desk
    >model and the other a 5400rpm portable drive) could be the culprit but I
    >really don't think so. Neither drive was busy at the time and have been in
    >use for 2-3 weeks.

    You definitely have hardware issues, be it the power supply or RAM (or both).
    If I were you I'd wait for the replacement PC and just swap the internal hard
    drives (that way you won't have to set it up the way you like it again).

    G. Morgan, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Monica

    Guest

    "Monica" <> wrote:

    >hit the power button on the front of the (Dell Dimension 8400) and this is
    >when things went south :eek: Instead of the system shutting down, something
    >(power supply, fan...I don't know) started revving up like a jet taking off.
    >I think the thing would have taken flight (or exploded) if I hadn't gotten
    >it unplugged in time. In the time (about 7 seconds) it took me to realize
    >something was dreadfully wrong and to get to the plug, there was smoke
    >coming out of the back of the computer.

    Your getting a new computer for not taking care of your old one, not
    bad.

    The take off sound was one or all of your fans and the smoke was cat
    hair, lint. whatever caught fire.

    Cleaning the new one once a year would be a good idea.
    --

    kinda hard to explain.
    http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9365/4051.jpg

    , Mar 2, 2009
  4. Monica

    Monica Guest

    I take care of my computer! I vacuum around all the openings where dust
    gets sucked in and in the back where the fan vents are. I don't have any
    indoor pets.
    At least once a year, maybe more, I remove the cover and clean the inside.

    Monica, Mar 2, 2009
  5. Monica

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:38:45 -0600, "Monica" <> wrote:

    > I plugged the computer back into the wall just
    >to see what would happen. Booted up just fine. Is running as if nothing
    >happened.

    When you send it back please tape a note to it stating that smoke was coming out
    of the back. I'd hate for it to work at the "refurbish factory", and then smoke
    for the next buyer.

    Shel-hed, Mar 2, 2009
  6. Monica

    Guest

    , Mar 3, 2009
  7. Monica

    Guest

    "Monica" <> wrote:

    >I take care of my computer! I vacuum around all the openings where dust
    >gets sucked in and in the back where the fan vents are. I don't have any
    >indoor pets.
    >At least once a year, maybe more, I remove the cover and clean the inside.

    Well then you got a good story, and a new computer out of it.

    --

    You could be guilty of child abuse if your kid gets a glimpse of that Playboy hidden under your mattress http://tinyurl.com/bgcaop

    , Mar 3, 2009