    reported. 210.212.102.33.

    I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    university in Melbourne scanning me ?
    Nick, Jun 15, 2004

  2. Nick

    Rider Guest

    news:...
    > > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the

    > number
    > > reported. 210.212.102.33.
    > >
    > > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > > university in Melbourne scanning me ?
    > >

    > Who cares?

    He does.
    Rider, Jun 15, 2004

  3. Nick

    K T T Guest

    K T T, Jun 15, 2004
  4. Nick

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    Nick <> expelled:
    > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
    > number reported. 210.212.102.33.
    >
    > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

    They're not, that IP is allocated in India and has no reverse DNS available.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Jun 15, 2004
  5. Nick

    Nick Guest

    > > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the

    > number
    > > reported. 210.212.102.33.
    > >
    > > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > > university in Melbourne scanning me ?
    > >

    > Who cares?

    I do. Else I wouldnt aput it in here. Woould I
    Nick, Jun 15, 2004
  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > Nick <> expelled:
    > > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
    > > number reported. 210.212.102.33.
    > >
    > > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

    > They're not, that IP is allocated in India and has no reverse DNS

    available.

    > --
    > EMB
    > change two to number to reply

    Means sod all to me
    Nick, Jun 15, 2004
  7. Nick

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:50:50 +1200, Nick wrote:

    > I do. Else I wouldnt aput it in here. Woould I

    My advice: Don't worry about it.

    Whole blocks of IPs addresses are scanned continually - it's just the nets
    background noise. It won't have any effect in itself, and if you are
    properly patched and firewalled they can't hurt you.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jun 15, 2004
  8. Nick

    Enkidu Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:14:47 +1200, "Nick" <> wrote:

    >According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the number
    >reported. 210.212.102.33.
    >
    >I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    >university in Melbourne scanning me ?

    No, *they* had 34 requests *from* that address.

    Don't worry about it. It's just net noise.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jun 15, 2004
  9. Nick

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in news::

    > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
    > number reported. 210.212.102.33.
    >
    > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

    Go here and do some reading, then come back with more questions.
    http://www.grc.com
    Click on the shields up link and scan your machine using the all services
    probe.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jun 15, 2004
  10. Nick

    samg Guest

    "Nick" <> wrote in news::

    > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the
    > number reported. 210.212.102.33.
    >
    > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

    its actually a cover for the feds investigating all your illegal P2P
    activity
    samg, Jun 16, 2004
  11. Anton averred:

    > My advice: Don't worry about it.
    >
    > Whole blocks of IPs addresses are scanned continually - it's just the nets
    > background noise. It won't have any effect in itself, and if you are
    > properly patched and firewalled they can't hurt you.

    hehe, we've got system here designed to trap outgoing scans,
    or excess traffic on wierd ports.

    It caught a guy the other day who was simply scanning his
    home machine from the office to make sure it was locked down...
    J.Random Luser, Jun 16, 2004
  12. Nick

    Route Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:14:47 +1200, Nick wrote:

    > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the number
    > reported. 210.212.102.33.
    >
    > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

    Don't over-react, a lot of innocous tcp/ip activity can get reported as a
    so-called scan.

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...
    Route, Jun 16, 2004
  13. Nick

    Steven H Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:14:47 +1200, Nick wrote:

    > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned. this is the number
    > reported. 210.212.102.33.
    >
    > I Googled it and and, well, google it yourself. so. why is a private
    > university in Melbourne scanning me ?

    > According to my sygate firewall my computer was scanned

    then stop using it - all thoes repoorts would do nothing but piss me off

    seriously you should look at my logs lol - the hits on a certan port are
    *litterally* scrolling the page, at lest 3 hits a second.

    dont worry about it. your behind a firewall right (if you call sygate a
    firewall..). just tell the software to stop annoying you with "hacking
    notificiations".

    Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Jun 17, 2004
  14. Nick

    Terry Bowden Guest

    Bragging Firewalls (was: My computer was scanned)

    TOTALLY AGREE. Give me a firewall that flatly REFUSES to report its success. Self
    aggrandisement is just SO tacky.

    "Hey everybody lookee me, lookee me, what a good boy am I! See what a GREAT JOB I
    am doing? Here's another nasty hacker I just saved you from!"

    "JUST SHUDDUP AND GET ON WITH IT!"

    Or how about a firewall whose only reports contain all the hacks that it FAILED to
    prevent? Yeah, right.

    Terry Bowden AT&T (my firewall is silent. Listen . . . . nada. Reports? nup)
    I feel better now.

    Terry Bowden, Jun 17, 2004