    David Guest

    My HP Pavillion with window XP is painfully slow, I have a pop up blocker Norton anti virus and NO ADWARE. I have defragged the computer but nothing seems to improve it, Any help please.
    Thanks David

    David, Jul 1, 2007

  2. David

    Tee Jay Guest

    David wrote:
    > My HP Pavillion with window XP is painfully slow, I have a pop up
    > blocker Norton anti virus and NO ADWARE. I have defragged the computer
    > but nothing seems to improve it, Any help please.
    > Thanks David

    Start/Run/MSCONFIG/Startup tab
    Take check mark out of things you don't need to auto start. It seems
    that almost all software when installed like to set up to autorun. Dload
    and run hijackthis.exe and turn off undesirable entries in the
    registry. Use Firefox and dump Pop-up blocker. Use AVG (free) for anti
    virus and dump Norton.
    Good Luck
    Tee Jay

    Tee Jay, Jul 1, 2007

  3. David

    John Holmes Guest

    Tee Jay "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > Good Luck

    He needs that after your fuckwitted reply, you stinking, mummified
    pussyfart.

    --
    I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as
    you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformaty. I barf at the very thought

    John Holmes, Jul 1, 2007
  4. David

    Guest

    On 1 Jul, 09:15, "David" <> wrote:
    > My HP Pavillion with window XP is painfully slow, I have a pop up blocker Norton anti virus and NO ADWARE. I have defragged the computer but nothing seems to improve it, Any help please.
    > Thanks David

    Remove Norton. Or find a way to stop Norton scanning the machine
    continuously in the background.
    Anti-virus software slows a computer down, and norton and mcafee are
    big ones. Small free ones won't be as bad. e.g. AVG. A good paying
    one is NOD.

    Consider formatting the 'hard drive' (partition actually). starting
    fresh. Or using a clean hard drive, starting fresh from there. It'll
    be as fast as it was when you first got it. Or faster.

    Consider installing more RAM. The amount depends onapplication.
    Windows XP - 512MB. If you are quite demanding within windows xp,
    then 1GB. win xp can run on 256MB, but people see big improvements
    with 512MB. Some even have 1GB with win xp.

    any or all those things will yield great improvements.

    maybe a faster RPM hard drive will help, but I just mention that to be
    more complete. I've found all the above to be adequate.

    , Jul 2, 2007
  5. David

    CandiSimms Guest

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:02:19 +0200, John Holmes wrote:

    > Tee Jay "contributed" in alt.computer:
    >
    >> Good Luck

    > He needs that after your fuckwitted reply, you stinking, mummified
    > pussyfart.

    KaditchaMan?

    CandiSimms, Jul 3, 2007
  6. David

    jinxy Guest

    On Jul 2, 7:54 pm, CandiSimms <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:02:19 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    > > Tee Jay "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > >> Good Luck

    > > He needs that after your fuckwitted reply, you stinking, mummified
    > > pussyfart.

    > KaditchaMan?

    We also had a slow hp pav. 522n. It was running 256mb of ram, I maxed
    the ram out at 1024mb 2x512mb and all of my troubles were gone. Try
    that first, it's the fastest and cheapest solution. Only cost me
    $80.00 cdn. I am also running Norton A/V 2007 and windows defender
    with no issues. I would however use the msconfig command and uncheck
    anything that is running in the background that you don't need . Some
    of these are auto-updaters for adobe ,i-tunes,nero etc. If you are
    not sure of what to turn off you can google each instance and see what
    they are from the RUN window. Good luck, post back and let us know how
    it went.
    -J

    jinxy, Jul 3, 2007
  7. David

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>,
    jinxy <> writes
    >On Jul 2, 7:54 pm, CandiSimms <> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 16:02:19 +0200, John Holmes wrote:
    >> > Tee Jay "contributed" in alt.computer:

    >> > He needs that after your fuckwitted reply, you stinking, mummified
    >> > pussyfart.

    >> KaditchaMan?

    >We also had a slow hp pav. 522n. It was running 256mb of ram, I maxed
    >the ram out at 1024mb 2x512mb and all of my troubles were gone. Try
    >that first, it's the fastest and cheapest solution. Only cost me
    >$80.00 cdn. I am also running Norton A/V 2007 and windows defender
    >with no issues. I would however use the msconfig command and uncheck
    >anything that is running in the background that you don't need . Some
    >of these are auto-updaters for adobe ,i-tunes,nero etc. If you are
    >not sure of what to turn off you can google each instance and see what
    >they are from the RUN window. Good luck, post back and let us know how
    >it went.
    >-J

    We've got a PC that is a bit slow on some programs, especially when you
    try to run anything in MS DOS from windows 2000K

    msconfig won't run, says it can't be found!...
    --
    Tony Sayer

    tony sayer, Jul 3, 2007