My computer gets a black display on boot - will only display in safe mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by erslket, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. erslket

    erslket Guest

    Oh gosh, what a mess I've made here.

    See
    http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&threadm=5oS
    dnfhqUMhsmJfdRVn-ug%40adelphia.com&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%
    26ie%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dmicrosoft.public.games.discussion for a detailed
    background thread about what led to my problem.

    Right now, when I start my Windows 98 computer, it goes through the
    normal bootup cycle - Dell screen/logo visible, then the "blue sky"
    Windows 98 screen. After about 30 seconds of that screen, the display
    goes black. When the bootup is complete, there is a loud "clank" noise
    from the speakers, the kind of noise that comes up when Windows is
    reporting an error.

    I can easily start the computer in Safe Mode. But I've tried such
    things as adjust the display properties (I really don't have a choice;
    the one choice is 16-color 640x480) and restarting the machine, and I
    still have the problem.

    So...

    1. How do I again be able to start my machine and view the display in
    normal mode?

    2. How do I ensure that ALL my video/display/graphics/etc. drivers are
    correct once I get to that point? Bear in mind that in Safe mode, I
    can't use the internet from that computer, and the computer I'm now
    using to access the internet, via wireless connection, doesn't have a CD
    burner drive. So I need internet access (non-safe mode) on my Windows
    computer to download fixes. But I need a working display to do that!

    HELP!

    erslket, Jan 18, 2004

  2. erslket

    °Mike° Guest

    <Stupid cross-posting snipped>

    1. "hyper-crossposting" (your words) == way to get ignored.

    2. Keep repeating your question == way to get ignored.

    3. Don't respond to people who reply to you == way to get ignored.

    4. Start another thread about the same problem == way to get ignored.

    5. Ignore advice given == way to get ignored.

    6. Be impatient (this is not a chat room) == way to get ignored.

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 16:41:59 GMT, in
    <>
    erslket scrawled:

    >Oh gosh, what a mess I've made here.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004

  3. erslket

    erslket Guest

    Fixed via scanreg /restore from DOS prompt.

    I still need to update my drivers, perhaps, but that's another post.

    erslket, Jan 18, 2004
  4. erslket

    Eyal Teler Guest

    Re: My computer gets a black display on boot - will only displayin safe mode

    Please stop cross posting!

    Eyal

    Eyal Teler, Jan 18, 2004
  5. erslket

    PCR Guest

    Wow! Better make a full system backup now...

    MSBackup is visually impressive & certainly has endless docs. But it is
    a poor tool for a full system backup. It will not span media, and it has
    a limit of 2 GB. You will not upgrade to a new OS with it, as it is
    incompatible with other versions of itself. Also, you will go nuts
    trying to do incrementals, archive bits, etc., I'm sure. To do a full
    system restore from it, you need to fresh install Windows first. And
    there is tweaking involved. It WON'T be pretty. Take a look at
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q166172
    Duplicating Windows 95/98/98 Second Edition Installation to a New Hard
    Disk

    Once you have a functioning system, especially one close to a clean
    install, do a full system backup. If you have multiple partitions, I
    guess a backup is a bit more complex. It depends upon the ties between
    the Registry & the other partitions, as to whether they must be backed
    up concurrently. Also, if you've changed the hardware since the backup,
    you may need to change it back before a restore.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/home.html Extended Operating System Loader
    http://powerquest.com/driveimage/ Drive Image
    http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
    http://www.betterbackup.com/ Retrospect CD Backup
    http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
    capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
    downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
    Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
    dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
    install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CD R/W Backup
    http://www.cyberiapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
    http://www.han-soft.com/habt.php Auto Backup (30-day free trial)
    http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swdl.pl?c=co105&i=co105en&p=hpcdwriter2
    Simple Backup
    http://www.karenware.com/ PtReplicator (Free)
    http://www.lifesaverbackup.com/
    http://www.mvps.org/links.html Should have good info
    http://www.pcmag.com/ Lots & lots of sturdy downloads. There is a $20
    yearly charge now.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
    http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
    http://www.rescue-me.net/gold.html
    http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/58307.shtml Backups
    http://www.thirdstar.net/thirdstar_datarecovery.htm Data recovery
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/ BU process, performance, etc.
    http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
    http://www.veritas.com Backup apps
    http://www.xxcopy.com/ Detailed Procedure Copy (Free)
    http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

    All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully
    and verify all is well. After making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it.
    If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore it and do a
    Scandisk/Defrag.

    http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

    Those last two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
    that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PCR, Jan 19, 2004