    firewire connector out the computer makes the pooping noise.

    Any ideas on this?

    Thanks
    John H. Power, Jul 5, 2004

  2. John H. Power

    Chuck Guest

    Is the hard drive formatted? What version of windows are you running?

    Chuck, Jul 5, 2004

  3. On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:23:05 -0400, "Chuck" <>
    wrote:

    >Is the hard drive formatted? What version of windows are you running?
    >
    >"John H. Power" <> wrote in message
    >> I decided to use my extrenal HD as a backup drive with BackupMy PC.
    >> When I went to do a backup the program said it needed to format the
    >> drive. After a few seconds it said it could not format that type of
    >> media so I exited intending to reformat it and just use the copy
    >> command. Now the drive does not show in the My Computer screen on any
    >> of my computers even though when I pug it in I get the little arrow in
    >> the task bar that shows it can be ejected and when I pulled the
    >> firewire connector out the computer makes the pooping noise.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on this?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    XP Home. Hard drive has been formatted for the past year.
    John H. Power, Jul 5, 2004
  4. John H. Power

    Chuck Guest

    John,

    A few questions:
    Did you remove a jumper from the hard drive? Do so.....it
    was most likely set as slave.
    Is this a 2.5" dia. HD?
    The external drive may not be getting sufficient power from
    the Firewire. Do you have an external power supply?

    Do the following:
    Right click on "My Computer"
    Left click on "Manage"
    Left click on "Storage"
    Left click on "Disk Management"
    see if the drive is listed at the top right and at the
    bottom as Disk 1
    Right click on the drive (at the bottom) and follow the
    format screen....format to FAT32

    After formatting......disconnect the external drive and reboot. Plug in the
    drive......my computer should find the drive.

    Good luck

    Chuck

    Chuck, Jul 6, 2004
  5. On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 14:20:48 -0400, "Chuck" <>
    wrote:

    >John,
    >
    >A few questions:
    > Did you remove a jumper from the hard drive? Do so.....it
    >was most likely set as slave.
    > Is this a 2.5" dia. HD?
    > The external drive may not be getting sufficient power from
    >the Firewire. Do you have an external power supply?
    >
    >Do the following:
    > Right click on "My Computer"
    > Left click on "Manage"
    > Left click on "Storage"
    > Left click on "Disk Management"
    > see if the drive is listed at the top right and at the
    >bottom as Disk 1
    > Right click on the drive (at the bottom) and follow the
    >format screen....format to FAT32
    >
    >After formatting......disconnect the external drive and reboot. Plug in the
    >drive......my computer should find the drive.
    >
    >Good luck
    >
    >Chuck
    >

    >"John H. Power" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:23:05 -0400, "Chuck" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Is the hard drive formatted? What version of windows are you running?
    >> >
    >> >"John H. Power" <> wrote in message

    >> XP Home. Hard drive has been formatted for the past year.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up trying Partition Magic. That
    program found the drive even though it did not show up on My Computer.
    I formatted it and was back to my pre BackUp MY PC condition.
    John H. Power, Jul 7, 2004
  6. John H. Power

    adumas3m

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Format Option Grayed Out

    I went through this process only to find the Format option as you right click to be grayed out. Actually all of the options were grayed out except for help.

    Do you know how to deal with this?

    adumas3m, Feb 18, 2010