    something that just developed and I do not know why.
    How can I get the computer to recognize these drives ??
    Thanks

    jim fisher, Oct 24, 2007

  2. jim fisher

    Zoom Guest

    "jim fisher" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When I go to "My Computer" the cd drives are not listed and I cannot
    > access either one. I am using XP Pro in a Dell 8200 computer. This is
    > something that just developed and I do not know why.
    > How can I get the computer to recognize these drives ??
    > Thanks

    Just upgrade to Windows Vista, the flawless, hassle free operating system
    and
    you will never see this kind of problem again. It's perfection from
    Microsoft.

    Zoom, Oct 24, 2007

  3. this problem seems to be more popular on vista.
    on xp, if you uninstall in hardware device manager, then reboot, xp will
    reinstall 'em.

    roy

    www.fordelectronics.co.uk

    Roy Collingwood, Oct 24, 2007
  4. jim fisher

    richard Guest

    On Oct 24, 4:56 am, jim fisher <> wrote:
    > When I go to "My Computer" the cd drives are not listed and I cannot
    > access either one. I am using XP Pro in a Dell 8200 computer. This is
    > something that just developed and I do not know why.
    > How can I get the computer to recognize these drives ??
    > Thanks

    I had the same problem with mine once. Then it donned on me what the
    simple cure was.
    Open Device manager. You will probably find the cd icon has a little
    red x beside it. This means the device is disabled.
    Which is why it's not showing on your "my computer" list.
    Open the device and click "enable", the red x disappears and the
    drives suddenly appear on the list.
    While you're in manager, go through each item and check for other
    little red x's.

    richard, Oct 24, 2007
  5. jim fisher wrote:

    > When I go to "My Computer" the cd drives are not listed and I cannot
    > access either one. I am using XP Pro in a Dell 8200 computer. This is
    > something that just developed and I do not know why.
    > How can I get the computer to recognize these drives ??

    You may have (un)installed some cd/dvd burning program, or a virtual cd/dvd
    driver. Google for "filter drivers".

    wisdomkiller & pain, Oct 24, 2007
  6. jim fisher

    jim fisher Guest

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:35:42 +0100, "Roy Collingwood"
    <> wrote:

    >this problem seems to be more popular on vista.
    >on xp, if you uninstall in hardware device manager, then reboot, xp will
    >reinstall 'em.
    >
    >roy

    Roy
    Didn't work. After rebooting there was the same yellow flag and the
    error "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware
    but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"
    Any other ideas ??
    Jim

    jim fisher, Oct 25, 2007
  7. jim fisher

    TJ Guest

    jim fisher <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:35:42 +0100, "Roy Collingwood"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>this problem seems to be more popular on vista.
    >>on xp, if you uninstall in hardware device manager, then reboot, xp
    >>will reinstall 'em.
    >>
    >>roy

    > Roy
    > Didn't work. After rebooting there was the same yellow flag and the
    > error "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware
    > but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"
    > Any other ideas ??
    > Jim

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

    Scroll down to 41.

    <snip>

    TJ, Oct 25, 2007
  8. jim fisher

    Mara Guest

    http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35761/

    --
    "... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."
    -- Russ Allbery, 3/31/98

    Mara, Oct 25, 2007