    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

    But each computer cannot see another. I don't know whether it is caused by two routers connection. This is different from two computers connect to onerouter configuration. Please confirm me whether my analysis is correct or not. How to setup the computers to make them sharing files. Thanks in advance.
    , Aug 25, 2012

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Hi,
    In my home, we have two routers, each one connects to one computer due to
    they are separated two far away. BTW, two routers are wireless for WiFi
    usage although these two desktop computers are wired directly to the
    routers. One computer OS is Vista while the other is Windows 7. I set up
    network sharing according to:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9040/how-to-share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-vista/

    But each computer cannot see another. I don't know whether it is caused by
    two routers connection. This is different from two computers connect to one
    router configuration. Please confirm me whether my analysis is correct or
    not. How to setup the computers to make them sharing files. Thanks in
    advance.

    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    You do not need two routers. You need one router with one of the computers
    connected to it by CAT5 cable. You need CAT5 coming in from the street that
    goes directly to the router, then a CAT5 from the router to the computer.
    You need the router to be a WIRELESS ROUTER, with a specification of
    802.11n.

    Then, the second computer needs to have a wireless adaptor that is also
    802.11n.

    The first computer is used to set the SSID and passcode into the router
    settings. The second computer looks for the available wireless routers, and
    you select your SSID from the list, and enter the passcode. Once you have
    done this successfully, it will happen automatically when the machine is
    started.

    You have established basic communications from the two machines to the
    outside world -- internet.

    To have the two machines talk to each other, you must create a Workgroup,
    and in the workgroup you can then share files among Shared Folders.

    Your router has a name (SSID) that makes no sense to you, something like
    5TH2M, and you want it to be named ROBERT because you can remember it. It
    also has a 10-digit passcode that you will never remember. The default SSID
    and passcode are printed on a sticker on the router, but you can go into the
    router and change the defaults to user friendly information. You can set the
    security as WPA or WEP. WEP is easier but not as strong. With WEP, you must
    use 10 digits in a range of 0-9 + A-F. A phone number works perfectly, but
    YOUR phone number is probably a bad choice because if somebody discovers
    that the SSID they want to hack is yours, then they will try your phone
    number. They probably won't try your grandmother's phone number though. YOU
    WANT THIS TO BE EASY FOR YOU TO REMEMBER because if you get a visitor to
    your house that brings a laptop or tablet, they will see your SSID and you
    will have to tell them the passcode so they can use it to go online.

    So, you go into your router and set the SSID and passcode to user-friendly
    information so that your visitors can use your internet connection with
    their wireless device.

    After you do this, you use Windows to create a workgroup AND you designate
    folders within each of the computers in the workgroup as Shared Folders.
    Then as you work on each machine, you save your work to a shared folder on
    one machine so that you can access the same file from another machine in the
    workgroup.
    Jeff Strickland, Aug 25, 2012