    --
    "If something is hard to do than it's not worth doing"

    -Homer S.

    Venom, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Venom wrote:

    > I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D on my pc and about 50% of every dvd-burning
    > results in a restart before the DVD is finished! Could this be a power
    > problem? I need a more powerfull PSU maybe? My other Specs:

    I have the same problem with my 105 trying to burn at 4x.

    After a week of experimenting with hardware, system settings,
    driver updates, and several calls to Pioneer who bumped me up
    their engineering dept several times, I know the problem but
    cannot determine a solution...

    .... if yours is the same, you can't burn at 4x using dma. If
    you change to pio it will work but take a fairly long time.
    If you burn at 1x you can use dma and in fact it will burn
    faster than 4x using pio.

    At the moment I'm working my way through my 4x to get done
    with them and them I'll just use 1x for the time being and
    wait till I get around to upgrading my system and then see
    if the issue goes away.

    If you call Pioneer you might mention you know of other people
    with the problem and maybe it'll finally get enough attention
    they will look into it and figure out what the heck is going
    on.

    Darrel :)

    Darrel Christenson, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Venom

    Rictor Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:45:40 +0200, "Venom" <> wrote:

    Faulty software/drivers --maybe it's not compatible?

    faulty ram, motherboard, processor--those can cause random restarts as
    well as software/drivers issues download a program that stresses your
    CPU that way you can tell if it's the burning process or if it happens
    when your cpu is stressed. I forget the name of the one I've used if
    I remember it i'll post it

    Rictor, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Here's a thought, why would your PC only reboot during the burn?

    What happens when you try to "rip" one of your successful burns? You should
    actually be reading faster than you wrote, thus the drive spins more,
    logically consuming more power. If it reboots then, it is because of PSU,
    likely.

    Try underclocking your CPU down to about 1GHz or so through the BIOS (I hope
    yours isn't so old it uses jumpers/DIPs ;). I would find it odd that that
    can solve anything, but if it does, then there is some sort of power issue,
    that wasn't found from reading, perhaps, because the laser needs more power
    to write than to read, so lowering the CPU clock lowers the CPU input power,
    thus alleviating the output from the PSU, allocating the extra released
    power to the DVD drive.

    Then again, it can be the software/driver/ram thing....

    Anonymous Joe, Sep 10, 2003
  5. Venom

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:13:08 GMT, "Anonymous Joe" <>
    Gave us:

    >Here's a thought, why would your PC only reboot during the burn?
    >
    >What happens when you try to "rip" one of your successful burns? You should
    >actually be reading faster than you wrote, thus the drive spins more,
    >logically consuming more power. If it reboots then, it is because of PSU,
    >likely.
    >
    >Try underclocking your CPU down to about 1GHz or so through the BIOS (I hope
    >yours isn't so old it uses jumpers/DIPs ;).

    It is more likely a memory issue, rather than a cpu speed issue.
    Clueless, you are. Could also be a DMA issue... again... memory
    related.

    DarkMatter, Sep 10, 2003