    couldn't believe the giant viewfinder, compared to the "postage stamp at
    the end of a tunnel" viewfinder in my 350XT.

    Digicams still have a long way to go.

    fishfry, May 28, 2006

  2. fishfry

    Pete D Guest

    "fishfry" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just pulled it out of storage to remember back to the good old days.
    > Bought this one in 1977. Still works perfectly. Looked through it and
    > couldn't believe the giant viewfinder, compared to the "postage stamp at
    > the end of a tunnel" viewfinder in my 350XT.
    >
    > Digicams still have a long way to go.

    Well no, just Canons cheap and nasties, some are just as good as their film
    cousins.

    Pete D, May 28, 2006

  3. fishfry

    Guest

    fishfry wrote:

    > Just pulled it out of storage to remember back to the good old days.
    > Bought this one in 1977. Still works perfectly. Looked through it and
    > couldn't believe the giant viewfinder, compared to the "postage stamp at
    > the end of a tunnel" viewfinder in my 350XT.
    >
    > Digicams still have a long way to go.

    You (perhaps) should to have had a look through the viewfinder of a
    Pentax *ist-DS before buying a DSLR.
    It is just as bright a viewfinder as in a Pentax K1000, although
    slightly smaller because of the crop factor.
    Considering that you were going from a FD mount (Canon FTb) to EOS
    (Canon 350XT), you would have had no investment in lenses to tie you to
    a particular brand.

    , May 28, 2006
  4. fishfry

    Jim Townsend Guest

    fishfry wrote:

    > Just pulled it out of storage to remember back to the good old days.
    > Bought this one in 1977. Still works perfectly. Looked through it and
    > couldn't believe the giant viewfinder, compared to the "postage stamp at
    > the end of a tunnel" viewfinder in my 350XT.
    >
    > Digicams still have a long way to go.

    They don't have any "way to go".. They're already there :)

    Canon makes two full frame digital SLR's with full frame viewfinders
    (Just as big and bright as the one in your FT).

    The pro model is the 1Ds MKII and the consumer model is the 5D

    If you choose to purchase a smaller than full frame sensor DSLR cameras,
    then you'll get a smaller viewfinder.

    Jim Townsend, May 28, 2006
  5. Jim Townsend <> writes:

    >If you choose to purchase a smaller than full frame sensor DSLR cameras,
    >then you'll get a smaller viewfinder.

    That may be true now, but there's no reason it has to be that way. If
    you use optics designed for a full-frame viewfinder in a camera where
    the image is only 22 mm wide, of course the image will be small.

    But there's no reason the manufacturers cannot build viewfinder optics
    that enlarge that groundglass image to the same visual field size as
    the finder image in the full-frame camera.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 28, 2006
  6. fishfry

    Guest

    Dave Martindale wrote:

    > Jim Townsend <> writes:
    >
    > >If you choose to purchase a smaller than full frame sensor DSLR cameras,
    > >then you'll get a smaller viewfinder.

    > That may be true now, but there's no reason it has to be that way. If
    > you use optics designed for a full-frame viewfinder in a camera where
    > the image is only 22 mm wide, of course the image will be small.
    >
    > But there's no reason the manufacturers cannot build viewfinder optics
    > that enlarge that groundglass image to the same visual field size as
    > the finder image in the full-frame camera.
    >
    > Dave

    There is one good reason.
    The higher the magnification, the dimmer the viewfinder will be.
    The only example of an extreme magnification for a DSLR viewfinder that
    I've personaly experienced is the for the Olympus D-600L, which has a
    2/3" CCD.
    The image on the sensor is less than a quarter the size of a 35mm film
    frame, and once the image is magnified enough (at least 4x
    magnification) to be seen in the viewfinder, it is way too dim to be
    useful for checking focus.

    Perhaps for the APS-C sized sensor cameras, where the magnification
    would only need to be 1.5x (or 1.6x for Canons), it shouldn't darken
    the viewfinder too much.
    The difference would be about half a stop difference between a full
    frame viewfinder and an APS-C magnified 1.5x, that may not be noticable
    under most lighting conditions.

    , May 29, 2006
  7. fishfry

    Guest Guest

    I just had to pull my FTB out of my antiques display and check, and you're
    right.....but (as others have already said.
    Old Bob

    Guest, May 29, 2006