    Image quality seems to be ok though.
    Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
    Thanks!

    Sigmund, Jun 22, 2007

  2. "Sigmund" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
    > I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
    > taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
    > Image quality seems to be ok though.
    > Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
    > Thanks!

    Mine, repaired by Canon UK after it stopped focusing, also feels wobbly -
    compared to a manual focus lens. It's about the same as other similar
    lenses with extending length schemes. e.g. EF35f2 The optical cell is
    moved as a whole so inter element distances aren't affected. Image quality
    at f4 to f8 should be superb - mine is.

    (If you're really worried get an EF 85 f1.8 - all the focus stuff is
    inside.)

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Sigmund

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Sigmund" <> wrote in message
    > Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
    > I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
    > taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
    > Image quality seems to be ok though.
    > Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
    > Thanks!

    I get a little bit of float - but not much. I wouldn't describe it as
    wobbly - go back to the shop and try some others. The 1.8 I had floated a
    lot more. I don't get any flaot with my L lenses.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jun 22, 2007
  4. Sigmund wrote:

    > Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
    > I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
    > taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
    > Image quality seems to be ok though.
    > Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?

    Send it back for a replacement. This problem seems to rear its ugly head
    from time to time. The 85/1.2L has this problem as well.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Jun 22, 2007
  5. Sigmund wrote:
    > Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
    > I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
    > taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
    > Image quality seems to be ok though.
    > Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?
    > Thanks!

    If you bought it locally, take it back and ask to compare it to the one
    on display. If they are the same, don't worry. Many modern auto-focus
    lenses feel that way.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 23, 2007
  6. In article <>, Sigmund
    <> writes
    >Bought a new lens, Canon 50mm 1.4.
    >I am quite surprised the moving part feels very loose and wobbly when
    >taking on/off the front cap or putting on a filter.
    >Image quality seems to be ok though.
    >Is this "normal" for this lens, or should I try to get it changed?

    A certain amount of wobble seems to be normal, but check that it
    autofocuses throughout the range. When I bought mine I noticed the
    wobble, but it was only a couple of days later that I discovered the
    focus would stick if driven to the end stops and needed a manual assist
    to release it. Canon fixed that and although the returned lens still
    wobbled a bit, it wasn't nearly as much as before I returned it. My
    conclusion is that the wobble and the sticky focus were related.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jun 23, 2007