My brief tryst with Vista 64-Bit RC1 (5600)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tachyon, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. Tachyon

    Tachyon Guest

    Hardware: Athlon 64 3000+
    ECS nForce3 motherboard
    1024 MB PC3200 DDR RAM
    80 GB SATA HDD
    nVidia 128MB FX5200 AGP 8X graphics

    0845 - Started install of Vista 64-bit RC1 (Build 5600)
    0909 - Log onto desktop first time
    (Why & How so fast???)
    0913 - Install drivers for mobo devices:
    - Realtek audio
    - nVidia network controller
    0917 - Log on after 55-second boot
    (Again: Why + How so fast???)
    0922 - Set network discovery and ID
    (Accept Restart option)
    0923 - BSOD
    0927 - Log on to Safe Mode
    0929 - Copy message from error dialog:

    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.5600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: a
    BCP1: 0000000000000000
    BCP2: 000000000000000C
    BCP3: 0000000000000001
    BCP4: FFFFF80001850E37
    OS Version: 6_0_5600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini100506-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-64265-0.sysdata.xml
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3469.tmp.version.txt
    Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

    0930 - Go to Folder Options (still in Safe Mode)
    Select to view hidden files
    Select to view system files
    0931 - Cannot see files stated in error message
    Chose to restart
    0933 - BSOD
    0935 - Accept to start in Safe Mode again
    0936 - BSOD

    Last step two steps then repeated three more times

    0945 - Restored OS with Acronis image of Win XP Pro
    0950 - PC running excellently as usual (sans Vista)

    Some weeks back Beta build 5384 64-bit installed and ran perfectly fine on
    the same machine.

    When the first BSOD happened, it took me a while to recognize it for what
    it was. I have not seen a BSOD in almost six years, on my machines.

    Vista 32-bit works perfectly on this PC - I check that two days ago when the
    DVDs arrived.

    Cheers.

    Tachyon
    ---------

    Tachyon, Oct 5, 2006

  2. Tachyon

    Tachyon Guest

    "Tachyon" <> wrote in message
    > Hardware: Athlon 64 3000+
    > ECS nForce3 motherboard
    > 1024 MB PC3200 DDR RAM
    > 80 GB SATA HDD
    > nVidia 128MB FX5200 AGP 8X graphics
    >
    > 0845 - Started install of Vista 64-bit RC1 (Build 5600)
    > 0909 - Log onto desktop first time
    > (Why & How so fast???)
    > 0913 - Install drivers for mobo devices:
    > - Realtek audio
    > - nVidia network controller
    > 0917 - Log on after 55-second boot
    > (Again: Why + How so fast???)
    > 0922 - Set network discovery and ID
    > (Accept Restart option)
    > 0923 - BSOD
    > 0927 - Log on to Safe Mode
    > 0929 - Copy message from error dialog:
    >
    > Problem signature:
    > Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    > OS Version: 6.0.5600.2.0.0.256.1
    > Locale ID: 1033
    > Additional information about the problem:
    > BCCode: a
    > BCP1: 0000000000000000
    > BCP2: 000000000000000C
    > BCP3: 0000000000000001
    > BCP4: FFFFF80001850E37
    > OS Version: 6_0_5600
    > Service Pack: 0_0
    > Product: 256_1
    > Files that help describe the problem:
    > C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini100506-01.dmp
    > C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-64265-0.sysdata.xml
    > C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER3469.tmp.version.txt
    > Read our privacy statement:
    > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409
    >
    > 0930 - Go to Folder Options (still in Safe Mode)
    > Select to view hidden files
    > Select to view system files
    > 0931 - Cannot see files stated in error message
    > Chose to restart
    > 0933 - BSOD
    > 0935 - Accept to start in Safe Mode again
    > 0936 - BSOD
    >
    > Last step two steps then repeated three more times
    >
    > 0945 - Restored OS with Acronis image of Win XP Pro
    > 0950 - PC running excellently as usual (sans Vista)
    >
    > Some weeks back Beta build 5384 64-bit installed and ran perfectly fine on
    > the same machine.
    >
    > When the first BSOD happened, it took me a while to recognize it for what
    > it was. I have not seen a BSOD in almost six years, on my machines.
    >
    > Vista 32-bit works perfectly on this PC - I check that two days ago when
    > the
    > DVDs arrived.
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > Tachyon
    > --------

    To add:

    The BSODs would go away very quickly before the PC rebooted. Hence I could
    not note any details or do a screen capture.

    Since thereafter the BSOD occured even while selecting Safe Mode, I was not
    able to set any option for not rebooting automatically!

    -

    Tachyon, Oct 5, 2006

  3. If you are dual booting, you should have the minidumps from the crashes on
    your C drive.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 7, 2006