    On the one hand, it lets Linux do something even Dimdows can't do--run two
    versions of Internet Explorer at once.

    On the other hand ... INTERNET BLOODY EXPLORER?!?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2006

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Phil Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 26/09/06 11.54 p:
    > I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
    > <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34625>.

    Given that a number of large (or important) websites are still broken in
    non-IE browsers, it's probably a necessity.

    > On the one hand, it lets Linux do something even Dimdows can't do--run two
    > versions of Internet Explorer at once.

    IE (back to v4) can run in standalone mode on Windows.

    -Phil
    Phil, Sep 26, 2006

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Chris Hope Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
    > <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34625>.
    >
    > On the one hand, it lets Linux do something even Dimdows can't do--run
    > two versions of Internet Explorer at once.
    >
    > On the other hand ... INTERNET BLOODY EXPLORER?!?

    You *can* run multiple versions of IE on Windows. I have a Windows box
    that has 5.0 5.5 6.0 and 7.0 running on it. No, you can't use the
    regular installers to do it, but it's just a matter of extracting some
    files into a directory and then running the exe. No more or less
    difficult than installing IEs4Linux.

    I also have IEs4Linux running on this particular Linux box I'm sending
    this message from.

    Chris Hope, Sep 26, 2006
  4. In article <>, Phil <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote, On 26/09/06 11.54 p:
    >> I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
    >> <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34625>.

    >Given that a number of large (or important) websites are still broken in
    >non-IE browsers, it's probably a necessity.

    The necessity is for the non compliant web sites to upgrade to the standards
    :) That said, many of those supposedly "broken" sites work if the browser
    simply lies about what it is.
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 27, 2006
  5. Well stand up, you'll take the weight off it ;-)
    Southern Kiwi, Sep 27, 2006
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Phil Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote, On 27/09/06 11.27 a:
    > The necessity is for the non compliant web sites to upgrade to the standards

    No browser is 100% standards-compliant.

    -Phil
    Phil, Sep 27, 2006
  7. In article <>, Phil <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote, On 27/09/06 11.27 a:
    >> The necessity is for the non compliant web sites to upgrade to the standards

    >No browser is 100% standards-compliant.

    Um ... there are many that get close to "the" standards. There are few that
    get close to all the random extensions added by ... persons that shall
    remain nameless trying to make those "standards" 'defaults' to break the
    standards that have been agreed. :)
    There is a great deal to recommend using the agreed standards and not
    standards that only include them as a subset.

    Anyway, my attitude to broken web sites (ie the browser I'm using won't read
    it) is to report the brokeness to the site. If they fix it, fine. If they
    don't ? ... well ... plenty of other sites :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 28, 2006