    Ciao,
    Mark C
    Nashville,TN

    Mark C, Nov 12, 2003

  2. http://epaperpress.com/psphoto

    Click on Black & White. I also suggest you use the eyedropper to see what
    the colors really are. If all channels contribute equally, you need to
    adjust your monitor.

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > I am using PS7 and when I convert some images to grayscale....it looks

    more

    perspicacious, Nov 12, 2003

  3. Mark C

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >From: "Mark C"

    >I am using PS7 and when I convert some images to grayscale....it looks more
    >like everything has a blue-ish tint to it.

    Sounds like a monitor calibration problem to me.

    >What is the best method for converting a color digital photo to black and
    >white using PS7. For example, is it better to desaturate or use
    >grayscale.......any suggestions would be most appreciated.

    Desaturate seems to drain the sparkle out of most images and most experts don't
    recommend it.

    Converting to grayscale just takes a fixed percent from each channel and blends
    them, I think it's 59% green, 30% red and 11% blue or something like that. For
    many shots this is OK, for most it's not optimal.

    One thing you can do first is just look at each channel separately, often the
    green channel alone will look better for portraits than convert to greyscale.

    But most experts recommend that you use the Channel Mixer to do the conversion.
    This lets you combine the channels in any percent you deem optimal.

    One way to use it is to make a new Adjustment layer of type Channel Mixer,
    click the Monochrome box and you'll see it starts with 100% red so change it to
    30% red, 59% green, 11% blue to mimic a straight greyscale conversion, and go
    from there. If the numbers add up to more than 100% the image will be
    brighter, if less than 100% it will be duller.

    Adjust to taste. If the new image still looks blue then you have a monitor
    problem though.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 12, 2003
  4. "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    > I am using PS7 and when I convert some images to grayscale....it looks

    more
    > like everything has a blue-ish tint to it.
    >
    > What is the best method for converting a color digital photo to black and
    > white using PS7. For example, is it better to desaturate or use
    > grayscale.......any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Ciao,
    > Mark C
    > Nashville,TN

    However you convert, when you print set up the printer to make a gray scale
    print. Otherwise, it may use color ink.

    Marvin Margoshes, Nov 12, 2003
  5. "Mark C" <> writes:
    >I am using PS7 and when I convert some images to grayscale....it looks more
    >like everything has a blue-ish tint to it.

    When you convert to grayscale in Photoshop, you get an image that has
    only one number (intensity) for each pixel. It's just shades of white.
    If the white appears bluish, then your monitor is misadjusted (do all
    whites, including terminal windows and editor windows, appear blue)
    or you're doing some sort of colour temperature conversion.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 12, 2003
  6. Mark C

    jam Guest

    "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    | I am using PS7 and when I convert some images to grayscale....it
    looks more
    | like everything has a blue-ish tint to it.
    |
    | What is the best method for converting a color digital photo to
    black and
    | white using PS7. For example, is it better to desaturate or use
    | grayscale.......any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    |
    | Ciao,
    | Mark C
    | Nashville,TN

    I'm not familiar with PS7 but assume that it pretty much duplicates
    PhotoShop features. Your two best bets are

    1. Convert to Lab color mode and simply use the L (lightness) channel.
    It contains all the luminance data in the image. This method is
    subject to quantization errors in the conversion to Lab, but these are
    rarely visible.

    2. Use your equivalent of PhotoShop's channel mixer.

    For details, see www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/b&w.htm#lab-grayscale and
    www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/b&w.htm#mixing.

    One-click grayscale conversions like the one you used are seldom the
    best approach.
    --
    Jeremy McCreary
    Denver, CO

    jam, Nov 13, 2003
  7. Mark C

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Here is a tip of the day from Planet Photoshop.com

    Today's Photoshop Tip: Wanna control your grayscale conversion?

    The ultimate control over a grayscale conversion may very well be the
    Channel Mixer. Open the dialog box using the menu command
    Image>Adjust-ments>Channel Mixer. (In Photoshop 6, it’s Image>Adjust>Channel
    Mixer.)
    Check the Monochrome box and adjust the sliders to get the best tonal range.
    Afterward, use the menu command Image>Mode>Grayscale to create a true grayscale

    image. When adjusting the sliders, try to keep the total of their values to
    about 100. If you change the Constant slider, add or subtract three times the
    slider’s value from that total.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Nov 13, 2003
  8. Mark C

    Bill Hilton Guest

    >"Mark C" <> wrote

    > I am using PS7 and when I convert some images to grayscale....it
    >looks more | like everything has a blue-ish tint to it.

    What is the color temperature of your monitor, 5000K or 6500K or 9300 K? If
    it's 9300 that could explain why things look a bit blue. Try 6500 Kelvin
    instead.

    Bill Hilton, Nov 13, 2003