My backup strategy blunder

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fatfreek, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Fatfreek

    Fatfreek Guest

    I bought Drive Image 2002 plus an additional hard drive for the explicit
    purpose of backing up. No, not just my data files but all programs with all
    their laborious configurations and time-consuming, online (over a dial-up)
    updates.

    For what it's worth I am running Win2k Pro and my c: drive is 30gb of NTFS.
    My new drive, which I suppose I will call d:, is a 60gb also NTFS. (I was
    hoping that I could later somehow turn that into my boot drive and the
    existing c: drive into the backup)

    I just installed the added drive, followed instructions under Disk
    Management formatting it. I saw no options other than to turn it into a
    Dynamic Drive and did just that.

    However, I then turned to my Drive Image instructions and note that it
    cannot backup to a dynamic disk.

    So, using Disk Management, turned the new one into a Basic drive but in
    doing so noted I no longer have my drive D: No matter, I launched Drive
    Image and note that my new drive is not an option for a backup location.

    I now note that Drive Image "can save images to a network directory or
    external media, such as a CD" - I have no network and I don't consider a CD
    as an acceptable option.

    Have I dug myself into a giant hole or what?

    As an aside, I note under my Win 2000 Pro help under mirroring that ".create
    mirrored volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server". Why in
    dickens do the Microsoft folks place that distraction in my help file?

    Any suggestions?

    Len Miller

    Fatfreek, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Fatfreek

    doS Guest

    Turn the drive into a basic drive, then you have to delete the drive,
    recreate the volume in windows.Now, I would consider cd's as another option,
    in case you lose a drive.

    doS, Sep 14, 2003