my article on copying DVD movies

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JB, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
    copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
    yourself (to ), including the experience
    you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.

    1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
    not?
    2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
    3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
    just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
    legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
    4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
    be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
    5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
    should be illegal and why:

    -- making a back-up copy of a DVD
    -- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
    -- copying a DVD and selling it
    -- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks

    Thanks for all your help,

    - JB
    JB, Nov 12, 2003

  2. JB

    Skid Guest

    "JB" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
    > copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
    > yourself (to ), including the experience
    > you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.
    >
    > 1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
    > not?
    > 2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
    > 3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
    > just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
    > legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
    > 4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
    > be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
    > 5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
    > should be illegal and why:
    >
    > -- making a back-up copy of a DVD
    > -- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
    > -- copying a DVD and selling it
    > -- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks
    >
    > Thanks for all your help,

    Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
    info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
    ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.

    If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
    MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
    start, not to mention any law school in the country.

    Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
    send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
    asking shoppers at the mall.

    On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
    SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
    subject they'd be all to happy to share.
    Skid, Nov 12, 2003

  3. in article pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51, Skid at
    wrote on 11/12/03 9:10 AM:

    > "JB" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
    >> copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
    >> yourself (to ), including the experience
    >> you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.
    >>
    >> 1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
    >> not?
    >> 2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
    >> 3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
    >> just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
    >> legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
    >> 4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
    >> be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
    >> 5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
    >> should be illegal and why:
    >>
    >> -- making a back-up copy of a DVD
    >> -- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
    >> -- copying a DVD and selling it
    >> -- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks
    >>
    >> Thanks for all your help,

    > Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
    > info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
    > ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.
    >
    > If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
    > MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
    > start, not to mention any law school in the country.
    >
    > Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
    > send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
    > asking shoppers at the mall.
    >
    > On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
    > SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
    > subject they'd be all to happy to share.

    To save us all some time, why don't we just copy and paste:

    "You're a thieving pirate! Go **** your mother and shut the **** up, you top
    posting retard."

    To get a better sense of the real thing, copy and paste that a few thousand
    times, or just create a filter for "macrovision", "copy", "kids" and so on
    and then have it automatically post the quote.
    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 12, 2003
  4. JB

    Skid Guest

    "MR_ED_of_Course" <> wrote in message
    > in article pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51, Skid at
    > wrote on 11/12/03 9:10 AM:

    > > On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
    > > SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
    > > subject they'd be all to happy to share.

    > To save us all some time, why don't we just copy and paste:
    >
    > "You're a thieving pirate! Go **** your mother and shut the **** up, you

    top
    > posting retard."

    I'm not sure you quite captured the full emotional range of the posts you're
    trying to emulate. Try again with a little spittle flying from one side of
    your mouth, masturbating furiously with one hand while you type with the
    other, and imagine yourself in the throes of an attack of Tourette
    Syndrome.
    Skid, Nov 12, 2003
  5. JB

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    JB wrote:

    a bunch of stuff ....

    My question is who's your computer literacy instructor and when is the
    assignment due.

    dick
    --it't the type of paper that I might assign to my class. OTOH maybe I
    misinterpreted it too.
    Dick Sidbury, Nov 12, 2003
  6. JB

    JB Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in message news:<pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51>...
    > "JB" <> wrote in message
    >
    > Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
    > info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
    > ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.

    Actually, it's not an anonymous account at all. How does looking for
    opinions equate to free polling, in your mind? And since when does
    providing an opinion on a subject mean that you are guilty of a crime?
    That's liek saying if you watch a movie about murder you're suddenly a
    murderer. Are you living in the United States? Here's an idea --
    before you jump to conclusions, look down.

    > If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
    > MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
    > start, not to mention any law school in the country.

    I wasn't looking for leads, but thanks anyway.

    > Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
    > send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
    > asking shoppers at the mall.

    Hmm, did I say I was looking for statistical data?

    - JB
    JB, Nov 12, 2003
  7. JB

    JB Guest

    Dick Sidbury <> wrote in message news:<bou1vp$1j1t7d$-berlin.de>...

    > dick
    > --it't the type of paper that I might assign to my class. OTOH maybe I
    > misinterpreted it too.

    Could be, could be.

    - JB
    JB, Nov 12, 2003
  8. JB

    JB Guest

    MR_ED_of_Course <> wrote in message news:<BBD7BC91.26CC5%>...
    > in article pQtsb.134351$ao4.422014@attbi_s51, Skid at
    > wrote on 11/12/03 9:10 AM:
    >
    > > "JB" <> wrote in message
    > >> I'm looking for a few people to give their opinions on an article on
    > >> copying DVD movies. If you answer, please send me a bit if info on
    > >> yourself (to ), including the experience
    > >> you've had with DVD copying and the legal issues.
    > >>
    > >> 1. Do you think copying a DVD should be legal in the US? Why or why
    > >> not?
    > >> 2. Should DVDs use CSS encryption? Why or why not?
    > >> 3. Some tools claim they are not de-scrambling the DVD content, but
    > >> just reading the video output and copying it -- is that a fair and
    > >> legal explanation, do you think? Why or why not?
    > >> 4. Do you think all digital content -- music, movies, etc. -- should
    > >> be free to transfer and use on a computer as needed? Why or why not?
    > >> 5. In terms of fair use, which of these should be legal and which
    > >> should be illegal and why:
    > >>
    > >> -- making a back-up copy of a DVD
    > >> -- making a copy of a DVD and giving it out to friends
    > >> -- copying a DVD and selling it
    > >> -- copying a DVD to a computer file and use on peer-to-peer networks
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for all your help,

    > > Give me a break. An anonymous hotmail account trying to get free polling
    > > info for an unspecificed "article." And you want US to provide info on
    > > ourselves and our opinions on activity of questionable legality.
    > >
    > > If you want legal opinions on piracy versus fair use then Congress, the
    > > MPAA, the Electronic Frontier Foundation and the ACLU are good places to
    > > start, not to mention any law school in the country.
    > >
    > > Comments from this or any other newsgroup, assuming anyone is dumb enough to
    > > send them to you, would be statistically worthless. You could do better
    > > asking shoppers at the mall.
    > >
    > > On second thought, maybe I've misjudged you. Why don't you contact
    > > SpeedyByrd, Max Volume and DarkMatter. They have some opinions on the
    > > subject they'd be all to happy to share.

    > To save us all some time, why don't we just copy and paste:

    I think you should try the chatrooms at AOL.

    - JB
    JB, Nov 12, 2003