    no Anti-Virus.

    Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    Many thanks, Scott.

    iL_weReo, Sep 26, 2007

  2. iL_weReo

    who'sthat Guest

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:47:25 -0700, iL_weReo <>
    wrote:

    >I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    >ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    >get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    >
    >Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    >Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    >no Anti-Virus.
    >
    >Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    >Many thanks, Scott.

    You don't watch any news programs or read any newspapers, do you? No
    computer related web sites?

    Nah..it's all a big rip off. Don't give your money to any of them.

    who'sthat, Sep 26, 2007

  3. iL_weReo wrote:
    > I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    > ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    > get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    >
    > Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    > Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    > no Anti-Virus.
    >
    > Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?

    Yes, absolutely. I like Avast, but there's AVG and others. But no
    antivirus is like running through the swamp naked. Something's going to
    bite you.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 26, 2007
  4. iL_weReo

    chuckie® Guest

    "iL_weReo" <> wrote in message
    > I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    > ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    > get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    >
    > Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    > Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    > no Anti-Virus.
    >
    > Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    > Many thanks, Scott.

    I'll second the motion for Avast...had for a year now and am liking it more
    and more. As a side note, I had CA also, however, mine was free through my
    ISP (ATT Yahoo DSL), while it seemed to work well, it was a pain in the a..
    to recover when deleted. Too many hoops to jump through, apparently, they
    weren't too happy to be giving it away free...

    chuckie®, Sep 26, 2007
  5. iL_weReo

    james Guest

    "iL_weReo" <> wrote in message
    >I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    > ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    > get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    >
    > Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    > Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    > no Anti-Virus.
    >
    > Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    > Many thanks, Scott.

    You need anti-virus
    This one is free, http://free.grisoft.com/

    I have no complaints, had it for a long while
    James

    james, Sep 26, 2007
  6. iL_weReo

    samuel Guest

    iL_weReo <> wrote in

    > I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a
    > million pop- ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew,
    > but I told them I'll get back to them. I deleted it from my
    > system.
    >
    > Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up
    > and Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic
    > Updates ON, but no Anti-Virus.
    >
    > Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys
    > recommend? Many thanks, Scott.

    I must be lucky no antivirus here for years and online many
    hours a day

    do have spybot and spywareblaster

    were do you go online ?

    samuel, Sep 26, 2007
  7. iL_weReo

    who'sthat Guest

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:31:13 -0400, "james"
    <> wrote:

    >"iL_weReo" <> wrote in message
    >>I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    >> ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    >> get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    >>
    >> Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    >> Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    >> no Anti-Virus.
    >>
    >> Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    >> Many thanks, Scott.
    >>

    >You need anti-virus
    >This one is free, http://free.grisoft.com/
    >
    >I have no complaints, had it for a long while
    >James

    It's why I've used for years after McAfee and Norton's turned in
    suites.

    who'sthat, Sep 26, 2007
  8. iL_weReo

    WeReo_ScoTTy Guest

    "who'sthat" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:47:25 -0700, iL_weReo <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    >>ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    >>get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    >>
    >>Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    >>Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    >>no Anti-Virus.
    >>
    >>Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    >>Many thanks, Scott.

    > You don't watch any news programs or read any newspapers, do you? No
    > computer related web sites?
    >
    > Nah..it's all a big rip off. Don't give your money to any of them.

    Iiieee don't know.

    WeReo_ScoTTy, Sep 26, 2007
  9. iL_weReo

    WeReo_ScoTTy Guest

    "james" <> wrote in message

    > "iL_weReo" <> wrote in message
    >>I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    >> ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    >> get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    >>
    >> Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    >> Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    >> no Anti-Virus.
    >>
    >> Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    >> Many thanks, Scott.
    >>

    > You need anti-virus
    > This one is free, http://free.grisoft.com/
    >
    > I have no complaints, had it for a long while
    > James

    This looks good James. I'll check it out.

    WeReo_ScoTTy, Sep 26, 2007
  10. iL_weReo

    Mews Grewps Guest

    samuel wrote:
    > iL_weReo <> wrote in
    >
    >> I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a
    >> million pop- ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew,
    >> but I told them I'll get back to them. I deleted it from my
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up
    >> and Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic
    >> Updates ON, but no Anti-Virus.
    >>
    >> Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys
    >> recommend? Many thanks, Scott.

    > I must be lucky no antivirus here for years and online many
    > hours a day
    >
    > do have spybot and spywareblaster
    >
    > were do you go online ?

    what an obvious troll

    or was it?

    Mews Grewps, Sep 26, 2007
  11. iL_weReo

    OldPhart Guest

    "iL_weReo" <> wrote in message
    | I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a million pop-
    | ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew, but I told them I'll
    | get back to them. I deleted it from my system.
    |
    | Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up and
    | Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic Updates ON, but
    | no Anti-Virus.
    |
    | Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys recommend?
    | Many thanks, Scott.

    If you want to pay for one I give the nod to NOD32 by www.eset.com
    Otherwise the OP's suggestions of Avast and AVG are good ones. After
    using those, plus CA's free and payed version, I went to NOD32 because
    it scans for virus, trojan, worms and adware using just one program.
    Prior to that I was using AVG with Moosoft's "The Cleaner" along with
    SpywareBlaster.

    --
    OldPhart

    OldPhart, Sep 26, 2007
  12. samuel wrote:
    > iL_weReo <> wrote in
    >
    >> I had this CA Internet Security suite for a year. After a
    >> million pop- ups, It just expired. They want $49.95 to renew,
    >> but I told them I'll get back to them. I deleted it from my
    >> system.
    >>
    >> Do I really need a program such as anti-virus? I'm on dial-up
    >> and Windows XP. Now Microsoft says Firewall ON, Automatic
    >> Updates ON, but no Anti-Virus.
    >>
    >> Should I install another Anti-Virus and what do you guys
    >> recommend? Many thanks, Scott.

    > I must be lucky no antivirus here for years and online many
    > hours a day
    >
    > do have spybot and spywareblaster
    >
    > were do you go online ?

    If you were to run a program such as Kaspersky's free online scanner,
    you may discover to your surprise that you're not as lucky as you thought.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 27, 2007
  13. iL_weReo

    samuel Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > samuel wrote:

    >> I must be lucky no antivirus here for years and online
    >> many hours a day

    > If you were to run a program such as Kaspersky's free online
    > scanner, you may discover to your surprise that you're not as
    > lucky as you thought.

    well i won't fire up ie to find out
    nor install 9mb

    :)

    knock on wood
    everything here working very well still

    Quoted below:
    When using this service for the first time, you have to run with
    Administrator privileges in order to install the product. Also, you
    will need to download and install files about 400 KB in size
    followed by 9 MB of virus definitions.
    However, if you use the Online Scanner again, you will only need to
    download the files that have been updated since your last scan.
    The Online Scanner service offered by Kaspersky Lab uses Microsoft
    ActiveX technology. Microsoft ActiveX Technology and the Kaspersky
    Online Scanner work only with MS Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher.
    We cannot guarantee that the Online Scanner will function correctly
    if you

    samuel, Sep 27, 2007
  14. iL_weReo

    samuel Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > If you were to run a program such as Kaspersky's free online
    > scanner, you may discover to your surprise that you're not as
    > lucky as you thought.

    thanks though

    anyone interested can scan here

    http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

    samuel, Sep 27, 2007
  15. iL_weReo

    elaich Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > If you were to run a program such as Kaspersky's free online scanner,
    > you may discover to your surprise that you're not as lucky as you
    > thought.

    I haven't used an AV program in years. I run the aforementioned free online
    scanner as a lark every 6 months or so. Nothing ever found. All it takes is
    a little awareness, knowledge, and common sense, something most Windows
    users are quite deficient about.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Sep 27, 2007
  16. iL_weReo

    elaich Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > Something's going to
    > bite you.

    Not if you know what you are doing.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Sep 27, 2007
  17. iL_weReo

    Guest

    elaich <|@|.|> wrote:

    >Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >
    >> If you were to run a program such as Kaspersky's free online scanner,
    >> you may discover to your surprise that you're not as lucky as you
    >> thought.

    >I haven't used an AV program in years. I run the aforementioned free online
    >scanner as a lark every 6 months or so. Nothing ever found. All it takes is
    >a little awareness, knowledge, and common sense, something most Windows
    >users are quite deficient about.

    Enter the storm worm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Worm

    So many people are infected that "it could rival the world's top
    supercomputers in terms of raw power."
    http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/07/122200&from=rss

    Kinda impressive really.

    --

    http://static.iftk.com.br/mt/2007/09/products_of_dreams_35_pics.html

    , Sep 27, 2007
  18. iL_weReo

    tom Guest

    elaich wrote:
    > Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >
    >> If you were to run a program such as Kaspersky's free online scanner,
    >> you may discover to your surprise that you're not as lucky as you
    >> thought.

    > I haven't used an AV program in years. I run the aforementioned free
    > online scanner as a lark every 6 months or so. Nothing ever found.
    > All it takes is a little awareness, knowledge, and common sense,
    > something most Windows users are quite deficient about.

    To me AV protection is like insurance. Of course you don't need it when when
    there's no problem, but once there's a problem it's too late to go looking
    for it. I'd rather have insurance and not need it than need insurance and
    not have it. Seems a little silly (denial?) to me to not employ some kind of
    protection.........especially when free programs are readily available.

    tom, Sep 27, 2007
  19. iL_weReo

    elaich Guest

    wrote in

    > elaich <|@|.|> wrote:
    >
    >>Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> If you were to run a program such as Kaspersky's free online
    >>> scanner, you may discover to your surprise that you're not as lucky
    >>> as you thought.

    >>I haven't used an AV program in years. I run the aforementioned free
    >>online scanner as a lark every 6 months or so. Nothing ever found. All
    >>it takes is a little awareness, knowledge, and common sense, something
    >>most Windows users are quite deficient about.

    > Enter the storm worm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Worm
    >
    > So many people are infected that "it could rival the world's top
    > supercomputers in terms of raw power."
    > http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/07/122200&from=rss
    >
    > Kinda impressive really.

    And you have to open an unsolicited email in order to get it. My point
    exactly.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

    elaich, Sep 27, 2007
  20. tom wrote:

    > To me AV protection is like insurance. Of course you don't need it when when
    > there's no problem, but once there's a problem it's too late to go looking
    > for it. I'd rather have insurance and not need it than need insurance and
    > not have it. Seems a little silly (denial?) to me to not employ some kind of
    > protection.........especially when free programs are readily available.

    It is silly, and really bad advice to tell people you don't need an AV
    if you're careful. I remember all too well some malware (blaster, for
    instance) that did not require you visit any malicious websites nor for
    you to open an email, nor download any files to get infected.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 27, 2007