My ad hoc network isn't seen by non-Windows devices?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Adam Sandler, Nov 27, 2011.

  1. Adam Sandler

    Adam Sandler Guest

    Hello:

    I'm having a problem with ad hoc networking here. I'm running Windows
    7 pro 64 bit. I have also already read the following links with no
    luck:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...reless-network-connection-problems-in-windows

    This is the problem I am having...

    I have a laptop. It has a wired internet connection. I want other
    devices to use that connection in a wireless manner.

    Elsewhere in the room, I have an Mac, a WiFi-capable printer, and
    another Windows-based laptop. When I configure the ad hoc network,
    only the Windows box can see the SSID. The printer and the Mac cannot.
    That last sentence is the problem.

    Why cannot any WiFi compatible device other than Windows not see the
    ad hoc network? In the Network and Sharing center on the other
    Windows devices, the icon for the ad hoc network is also a different
    icon than the other WiFi networks in the area. Is an ad hoc network
    not a true 802.11 network then?

    Thanks for your time!
    Adam Sandler, Nov 27, 2011

  2. Adam Sandler

    barb bowman Guest

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing
    is what you need to read. But seriously, protect yourself and buy a cheap
    wireless router to connect to the Internet if at all possible.

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 14:46:51 -0800 (PST), Adam Sandler <>
    wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >I'm having a problem with ad hoc networking here. I'm running Windows
    >7 pro 64 bit. I have also already read the following links with no
    >luck:
    >
    >http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Set-up-a-computer-to-computer-ad-hoc-network
    >
    >http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...reless-network-connection-problems-in-windows
    >
    >This is the problem I am having...
    >
    >I have a laptop. It has a wired internet connection. I want other
    >devices to use that connection in a wireless manner.
    >
    >Elsewhere in the room, I have an Mac, a WiFi-capable printer, and
    >another Windows-based laptop. When I configure the ad hoc network,
    >only the Windows box can see the SSID. The printer and the Mac cannot.
    >That last sentence is the problem.
    >
    >Why cannot any WiFi compatible device other than Windows not see the
    >ad hoc network? In the Network and Sharing center on the other
    >Windows devices, the icon for the ad hoc network is also a different
    >icon than the other WiFi networks in the area. Is an ad hoc network
    >not a true 802.11 network then?
    >
    >Thanks for your time!

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com
    barb bowman, Nov 28, 2011

  3. Adam Sandler

    Adam Sandler Guest

    On Nov 28, 3:52 am, barb bowman <> wrote:

    Thanks for the reply.

    I understand the comment about the comment about the router. But this
    is an ad hoc question.

    > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-ICS-Internet-Connec...

    I don't understand the reference to the link... if I didn't do this,
    then the Windows device couldn't use the internet connection. I have
    already done ICS. The Windows device can connect. The non-Windows
    devices cannot. <-- that's the problem.
    Adam Sandler, Nov 29, 2011
  4. Adam Sandler

    barb bowman Guest

    you need to get the ad hoc network running on ALL devices **before** you
    configure ICS.

    barb bowman, Nov 29, 2011