my 70-270 exam experience

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Jeroen Wijnands, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. This morning I sat my 70-270 exam (XP pro) and boy, was it a though
    one! I managed to scrape trough with 922 points but that took work!
    Also, something funny happened, I got the same question twice.

    I prepared for it with the MS-Press book and a transcender CD. My
    tactic is always to read the book, write a summary and then take a test
    examn, study what I did wrong, take another, etc.. Usually 4 test
    examns is sufficient.
    Despite other people's opinions up until now I had the impression that
    transcenders were a decent way to prepare for an examn. Not for this
    one! The transcender questions are hopelessly outdated, a large part
    seems to come directly from the old 2000 exam. In one word, useless!!
    So, to feel at least a bit prepared I got a testking practice exam
    (yes, go ahead and shoot me for using testking)

    What to study:

    - Basic TCP/IP (know the difference between a normal adres, an APIPA
    one, a gateway and your own backside)
    -Policies, what they can do and how to check if they are applied and
    how to force them onto a machine
    - All the different ways to install and upgrade XP including the files
    needed and where to put 'm. Know when and how you can include
    applications in the install process.
    - PXE booting
    - Printing (spooling, queues, operating rights, pooling)
    - Dial-up networking
    - ICS (including how to "publish" a service)
    - Firewall
    - Remote assistance and remote desktop
    - What rights are needed to install hardware (printers, removable media
    devices)
    - the password reset disk
    - IIS and especially the limitations of the XP implementation
    - Encryption and what you can and cannot do for a user
    - Offline files
    - Disks, basic, dynamic and what you can do to extend them

    MS decided to hand me 58 questions to test my knowledge. No simulation
    questions on this one.

    I'm glad it's over. In my opinion it was a lot ground to cover in a
    single exam. Anyway, I passed it and with my old NT 4 MCSE this should
    make me MCSA certified now.
    Next exam: 70-284, Microsoft Exchange!

    Jeroen Wijnands
    http://wijnands.blogspot.com
    Jeroen Wijnands, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Jeroen Wijnands

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day "Jeroen Wijnands" <> did
    cause the electrons to come together and form the follwing words:

    > So, to feel at least a bit prepared I got a testking practice exam
    > (yes, go ahead and shoot me for using testking)

    Nope, I won't have to shoot you, but I will say you're an assfscker. Its
    better to let you live with the fact that MS is going to take away your
    cert because you cheated. Not only that, but you're stupid enough to admit
    that you cheated in an MS-controlled newsgroup using your real email
    address.

    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    TBone, Mar 21, 2006

  3. TBone schreef:

    > And on the eigth day "Jeroen Wijnands" <> did
    > cause the electrons to come together and form the follwing words:
    >
    > > So, to feel at least a bit prepared I got a testking practice exam
    > > (yes, go ahead and shoot me for using testking)

    > Nope, I won't have to shoot you, but I will say you're an assfscker. Its
    > better to let you live with the fact that MS is going to take away your
    > cert because you cheated. Not only that, but you're stupid enough to admit
    > that you cheated in an MS-controlled newsgroup using your real email
    > address.

    T-Bone,

    I'm trough with you, your anti-testking ranting and this newsgroup! I
    suggest you go back up your mountain, chisel some stone tablets, ****
    some goats or whatever you do up there!

    Jeroen
    Jeroen Wijnands, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Jeroen Wijnands

    Guest

    Bigus Di©kus wrote:
    > **Jeroen Wijnands's** the one who fcukin said it
    > <<-------------------------------->>
    >
    > > So, to feel at least a bit prepared I got a testking practice exam
    > > (yes, go ahead and shoot me for using testking)
    > >
    > > Jeroen Wijnands
    > > http://wijnands.blogspot.com
    > >

    > Your ignorance and stuidity amaze me. What were you thinking when you posted
    > this?
    >
    > Have you read (or even heard) of Microsoft's NDA?
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/policies/nda.asp
    >
    > Excerpt: If an individual is caught violating the Non-Disclosure Agreement
    > that all examinees must agree to before beginning an MCP exam (please see
    > the agreement below), the candidate will be permanently ineligible for any
    > Microsoft certification.

    Yep, read it. Does say that you're not allowed to disclose examn
    questions. Which I haven't done.

    Somewhere else on the site they recommend that you use officially
    approved training materials.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/security.asp
    >

    > And *you*....have just been reported....

    Wow! How 5 year old of you! Man, you must feel good about yourself now.
    I mean, never mind all those indians who'll take the examn for you for
    a few hunderd dollars. Never mind all the testking.co.uk spam here. You
    just rid the world of an immense evil! Well done!
    , Mar 25, 2006
  5. Jeroen Wijnands

    Guest

    Bigus Di©kus wrote:
    > **Jeroen Wijnands's** the one who fcukin said it
    > <<-------------------------------->>
    >
    > > So, to feel at least a bit prepared I got a testking practice exam
    > > (yes, go ahead and shoot me for using testking)
    > >
    > > Jeroen Wijnands
    > > http://wijnands.blogspot.com
    > >

    > Your ignorance and stuidity amaze me. What were you thinking when you posted
    > this?
    >
    > Have you read (or even heard) of Microsoft's NDA?
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/policies/nda.asp
    >
    > Excerpt: If an individual is caught violating the Non-Disclosure Agreement
    > that all examinees must agree to before beginning an MCP exam (please see
    > the agreement below), the candidate will be permanently ineligible for any
    > Microsoft certification.

    Yep, read it. Does say that you're not allowed to disclose examn
    questions. Which I haven't done.

    Somewhere else on the site they recommend that you use officially
    approved training materials.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/faq/security.asp
    >

    > And *you*....have just been reported....

    Wow! How 5 year old of you! Man, you must feel good about yourself now.
    I mean, never mind all those indians who'll take the examn for you for
    a few hunderd dollars. Never mind all the testking.co.uk spam here. You
    just rid the world of an immense evil! Well done!
    , Mar 25, 2006
  6. Jeroen Wijnands

    ray3d84 Guest

    I am a little confused about this statement you made below.

    "Anyway, I passed it and with my old NT 4 MCSE this should make me MCSA
    certified now." Are you saying that if you are a NT 4 MCSE and you pass the
    xp exam this automaticlly makes you a MCSA?
    --
    ray3d84

    ray3d84, Mar 26, 2006
  7. Jeroen Wijnands

    Garth H Guest

    I think you guys need to reread the NDA and Security Policy.

    There isn't anything that I could find in either one that suggested
    using practice exams from providers other than Measure Up or Self Test
    was a violation. If you like, please point out where on the MCP site it
    says that using testking will result in a stripping of your certs. If
    it's true, I'm sure there are more than a few people that would like to
    know about it too.

    Additionally, the NDA prohibits disclosure of "the content and wording
    of exam questions" not general areas of the test. It doesn't take a
    rocket scientist to figure out that if you're given 58 questions, you
    might not cover each of the 70 listed objectives. Given that the exams
    are adaptive in nature, I highly doubt anyone else is going to see a
    test with the exact same group of questions.

    As huffy and puffy as you guys are over this, all that will likely
    happen is a firmly worded warning.

    --
    Garth H

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Macromedia Certified Developer
    Garth H, Mar 28, 2006
  8. Jeroen Wijnands

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day Garth H <> did cause the

    > There isn't anything that I could find in either one that suggested
    > using practice exams from providers other than Measure Up or Self Test
    > was a violation.

    There isn't. However to wit:

    > Additionally, the NDA prohibits disclosure of "the content and wording
    > of exam questions" not general areas of the test.

    So then the fact that Testking has advertised they use "100% actual test
    questions" or their affiliation with other braindump sites right on
    their web site doesn't give it away? How is this not disclosure of the
    actual exam?

    > Given that the exams
    > are adaptive in nature, I highly doubt anyone else is going to see a
    > test with the exact same group of questions.

    The exams may or may not be adaptive in nature. MS doesn't say for sure.
    MS takes a long time to put new questions in the pool and the pool is of
    limited size. TK and their br@indumper affiliates are constantly bribing
    third-world test centres for access to the actual exam questions. So if
    they do that enough, they'll start to get a good example of the real
    exams.

    Of course, even if people have n oproblem with cheating, lets not forget
    the br@indumps have a reputation for having wrong answers on them. Just
    search previous posts in the cert groups for confirmation of this. Also
    we have yet to see any proof that they honour their "passing guarantee".

    > As huffy and puffy as you guys are over this, all that will likely
    > happen is a firmly worded warning.

    Why take the chance? Better to stick with official approved materials.
    This way you are not giving your money to organizations that promote
    cheating and the continued devaluation of the certification YOU worked
    so hard to get. It will also prevent youfrom having to clean up the mess
    some paper MCSE leaves behind because he dumped his way through the
    exams and has no actual clue what he is doing.

    Ahh... I feel better now.

    --
    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL
    TBone, Mar 28, 2006
  9. Jeroen Wijnands

    Garth H Guest

    Ah yes, well I can see your points.

    Personally I think you could try and memorize all the questions you
    want, but as you've stated, there's no substitute for going opening an
    exam guide, doing the labs on a virtual machine and taking a quiz on it
    when you're done.

    Getting a cert via any other method is just going to set yourself up for
    failure further on down the road.

    Garth H, Mar 29, 2006