My 70-215 Results today - long

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by CJ, Jul 2, 2003.

  1. CJ

    CJ Guest

    Whew... I had a great learning experience today!

    I took my 70-215 exam today and I'm not very pleased. I did pass, but I did
    not have an inkling I was passing after getting Group Policy Questions. I
    had to wait until quetion 50 and then a few minutes before the score
    revealed pass. In previous exams I had some feeling of confidence during
    the exam.

    My disappointment in myself is this - Number 1: I pushed myself to take
    the exam quicker than I should have because I somehow in my mind thought I
    had to beat the holiday rush. In addition to that I have a friend that
    completed all his certifications in 2 weeks and is looking at me like I'm
    some kind of space cadet for taking so long for an exam. Then I see people
    post on here who say the exams are a breeze and you must be an idiot not to
    pass them all in one setting. I'm not a brainiac wo what was I thinking
    with this race to certification! My skills are very strong in disk drives,
    terminal services, and raid, and I could use my dry erase board for
    scenario's during the test so that part was not difficult for me, and may
    have carried me through.

    Nonetheless, I didn't need Microsoft to score me to realize that my Group
    Policy skills are seriously lacking. I was blank, stunned, and confused.
    Yes, I did my cbtnuggets, Microsoft Press, and even emulated the scenarios
    on my network. I'm going to give up Exam Essentials 5.0 and try to find a
    good wealth of questions that will really test my abilities on future exams.

    I thought that just cbtnuggets practice on my network would get me through
    the exam easily. Then, I thought that Microsoft was just entering tricky
    questions. Bottom line is I had to guess after eliminating one incorrect
    answer. Microsoft didn't have tricky questions. I didn't KNOW the
    material well enough. I thought I knew all about GP because I could do
    what was presented in front of me over and over again.

    I know I need to work on this area and am going to need it for future exams.
    I guess the reason I'm writing this is to offer the suggestion if you study
    at home like I do: work out the practice questions in detail, understand
    EXACTLY what/where/when and why of each facet of your studies. My method
    was to emulate with the video, post questions here, and use the MSPress for
    resources. And, my Exam Essentials questions were repetitive to where I
    knew the answer without reading the question. I didn't test myself well
    enough.

    Somehow I must have guessed answers correctly, but that sure is a nervous
    feeling in the exam room. I would have much rather been able to work out
    each scenario and answer the questions on Group Policy with confidence.

    I did pass and that is important to me, but had to learn a lesson about
    becoming over confident with training cd's, and scheduling an exam just to
    do it as soon as possible. Finally, I have a 3 day w.e. to view my 70-218
    exam cbtnuggets. I'm going to take my time, do my notes, and find more
    challenging practice software. I don't know what my big hurry was anyway!
    I can't learn going 150 mph just to keep up with Brainac's!

    If you made it this far - thanks for reading
    Carolina

    CJ, Jul 2, 2003

  2. One thing that I have noticed about the three exams that I
    have done so far is that some questions have very little
    bearing on what is contained in so-called MS authorised
    study guides. They seem to throw in spoilers from other
    exams that really test if you know and practice the
    subject in a 'live' environment, not if you have read and
    understand the books and have tried out the situation
    scenarios discussed in the book excersizes. This is a
    bastard thing to do but kind of understandable.
    I find this very tough as my work is mainly Lotus Domino
    (I'm a CLP) (on standalone Win2K servers) system admin and
    support in a Novell NDS based environment.
    Another thing - with my evenings spent trying to study
    (with my 2 year old son bothering to see Internet bus
    pictures and to see the planes in MS CSF3 :-<), the whole
    process takes soooooooo long to get to the level where I
    can pass the exams with confidence. (After a few months I
    find that I have forgotten what I learnsd at the start of
    the book).
    Monday is the 218 exam and I am not confident, having been
    told about a few questions...and knowing that the question
    matter is not covered by my MS Press 70-218 study guide.

    Mark Griffiths, Jul 4, 2003

  3. CJ

    CJ Guest

    > Monday is the 218 exam and I am not confident, having been
    > told about a few questions...and knowing that the question
    > matter is not covered by my MS Press 70-218 study guide.

    Thanks for writing, and I wish you good luck on your 218. Please let me
    know the results. I'm working on the 218 nuggets now. I'm just going to do
    the best I can do because I can't get away from work during the day to
    attend all the classes.

    Regrds,
    Carolina

    CJ, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Good luck - how much different are you finding the current
    MCSA/E track? I only got around to doing one MCP for NT4
    (with Networking Essentials!!) and I never felt the
    complete dread feeling as I do with the Win2K track.

    Mark Griffiths, Jul 4, 2003
  5. CJ

    kc Guest

    I feel ya. I'm happy to hear you passed. I failed 70-215
    because of GPO's. Yes I'm probably the first one to admit
    it here but I will try again ( to take the test I mean not
    admit something no one else has done :D ). Permissions
    and GPO's have taught me a valuable lesson. GPO's have
    become my Moby Dick and I have feeling more Microsoft
    certs are heading in that direction. Permissions,
    Permissions, Permissions. Sometimes I think I should've
    gone into programming.

    kc, Jul 6, 2003
  6. CJ

    WOLFF Guest

    the first round of tests are always the funky set,
    meaning for any given MS certs, you will not get a whole lot
    of the same brain busters, thay will change for the better on round two.

    WOLFF, Jul 10, 2003
  7. CJ

    WOLFF Guest

    glad I could help some,