    Here's the URL:
    http://www.JustPhotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/FD060304.htm

    Mardon

    Mardon, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Mardon

    Matt Ion Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > Hi to everyone who has been following the 2 previous threads
    > discussing my questions about techniques for photographing hockey.
    >
    > As promised, I've created a web page for the photos from my second
    > attempt at covering a hockey game. On this occasion, I actually
    > focused more on the pre-game and off-ice events because the Olympic
    > Gold Medal winning curling rink of "Team Gushue" was there. I wanted
    > to be sure to cover them and the opening ceremonies. As always,
    > comments welcome.
    >
    > Here's the URL:
    > http://www.JustPhotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/FD060304.htm

    Those are some great pics, Mardon. I like the Pepsi girl close-up, too
    bad you caught her looking so stunned :)

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0610-0, 03/06/2006
    Tested on: 3/8/2006 7:52:22 AM

    Matt Ion, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Mardon

    DHB Guest

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 12:02:23 GMT, Mardon <> wrote:

    >Hi to everyone who has been following the 2 previous threads
    >discussing my questions about techniques for photographing hockey.
    >
    >As promised, I've created a web page for the photos from my second
    >attempt at covering a hockey game. On this occasion, I actually
    >focused more on the pre-game and off-ice events because the Olympic
    >Gold Medal winning curling rink of "Team Gushue" was there. I wanted
    >to be sure to cover them and the opening ceremonies. As always,
    >comments welcome.
    >
    >Here's the URL:
    >http://www.JustPhotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/FD060304.htm
    >
    >Mardon

    Mardon,
    I won't go into too much detail about your technical
    photographic skills aside to say that they are very good, as is your
    timing. The reason for not going into more technical detail is
    because I am sure there are far more qualified photographers out there
    who can contribute much more helpful feedback.

    What I was impressed with in both your 1st & 2nd Hokey photo
    shoots was the diversity of what you covered. Often "Pros" just
    concentrate on a given style of photography that works for them, such
    as high angle shoots to exclude the spectators from the shot or maybe
    player level shots with narrow DOF to keep both background &
    foreground intentionally out of focus.

    As a very accomplished writer once told an aspiring writer who
    wished to learn more about him, (to the best of my recall) "you need
    only read my books, who I am is pretty much there!". If I apply this
    to your photography, it's seems you have the wisdom to both see &
    photograph the big picture, not just what's on the ice but a bit of
    everything that is required to make the on-ice action possible.

    The posed picture of the red rested workers who help in many
    ways, the behind the scene preparations (even the Pepsi girls), the
    children, mascot on the sidelines & etc.

    Also 1 last note, according to a feedback post @ B&H by an
    individual who has used the new 30D, he claims that there will be a
    firmware hack out soon to add the 3.5 degree spot metering function to
    20D cameras. If true this may be of interest to you or others with
    the 20D. As for me, I will be upgrading only because I am doing so
    from the humble 300D, so for me there are considerable reasons to
    justify the upgrade but if I had a 20D, I'd wait & evaluate the next
    offering.

    Anyway thanks for sharing your work with us, it will help me
    to see the settings that work for the 20D because the 30D is basically
    the same beast aside from a the larger LCD & a few mainly firmware
    upgrades.

    For the record I have 26+ years in film & 6+ years in digital
    photography but I will always consider myself an amateur because I
    have never charged for my photographic contributions & for a
    semi-selfish reason. The moment I charge for what I do as a hobby, is
    when I suspect that it will begin to feel like work & some of the joy
    will be lost. I have photographed weddings as a additional
    photographer & simply copied all of the picture onto CD's for the
    couple to do with as they please. This makes me happy in much the
    same manner that giving away some of your work does for you.

    Best of luck with your photography hobby, you are much better
    than you may think or your a truly humble individual or both!

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    Matt Ion <> wrote:

    > Those are some great pics, Mardon. I like the Pepsi girl
    > close-up, too bad you caught her looking so stunned :)

    Thanks Matt. My son's favorite photo was the "Cold Beer" girl:
    http://www.justphotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/images/FD060303/3707.jpg

    When I asked him if he had told his girlfriend about this choice, he
    said that he had not. I wonder why?! ;)

    Mardon, Mar 8, 2006
  5. Mardon

    Annika1980 Guest

    >For the record I have 26+ years in film & 6+ years in digital
    >photography but I will always consider myself an amateur because I
    >have never charged for my photographic contributions & for a
    >semi-selfish reason. The moment I charge for what I do as a hobby, is
    >when I suspect that it will begin to feel like work & some of the joy
    >will be lost.

    I don't have your experience, but I share your sentiments and your
    passion.
    Sometimes I'll be out shooting and some elderly woman will see me and
    ask,
    "Oh, are you a professional photographer?"
    I'll say, "No ma'am, I'm much better than that."

    Annika1980, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Mardon

    Mardon Guest

    DHB <> wrote:

    <*snip*>
    > What I was impressed with in both your 1st & 2nd Hokey
    > photo shoots was the diversity of what you covered.

    <*snip*>
    > Respectfully, DHB

    Thank you for your very kind words, DHB. Feedback like yours doubles
    my fun!

    It's interesting that you should mention the diversity of my shots.
    This morning, I delivered complimentary prints of all my hockey
    photos to the office of the local hockey franchise whose games I
    covered. This afternoon, I got a telephone call for the team's
    Governor (CEO). He was extremely complementary about my work and he
    went out of his way to comment on the diversity of my content.
    Promoters and sports teams spend a lot of money and time developing
    family-oriented promotions like "Zamboni Operator For a Day" and
    "Coach for a Day". In my coverage, I got shots of the boys who had
    won both of these promotions. After I covered the snowmobile event
    last weekend (there's a link to it in the "Sports gallery" of
    www.JustPhotos.ca web site), I gave complimentary photos to the
    promoter. He got in contact and asked to meet with me because he was
    so impressed with the diversity of my coverage. What I'm hearing is
    that most "Pros" who cover these events focus (pardon the pun) on the
    main-event action to the exclusion of the fans and peripheral
    activity. Promoters are in the business of selling entertainment and
    I'm starting to realize that they are delighted to see images of
    their customers being entertained. :)

    Mardon, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Mardon

    Annika1980 Guest

    DHB is all over it. You've done an excellent job of capturing not only
    what happens on the ice, but the sideshows as well.
    In fact, even though I'm a Diet Coke lover I feel like I could go for a
    little Pepsi right about now.

    Sometimes the most memorable shots happen away from the action.

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/57003750

    Annika1980, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Mardon

    Matt Ion Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > Matt Ion <> wrote:
    >

    >>Those are some great pics, Mardon. I like the Pepsi girl
    >>close-up, too bad you caught her looking so stunned :)

    > Thanks Matt. My son's favorite photo was the "Cold Beer" girl:
    > http://www.justphotos.ca/oldphotos/sports/images/FD060303/3707.jpg
    >
    > When I asked him if he had told his girlfriend about this choice, he
    > said that he had not. I wonder why?! ;)

    Your boy's got good taste... and good sense ;)

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0610-1, 03/08/2006
    Tested on: 3/9/2006 3:56:05 PM

    Matt Ion, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Mardon

    Matt Ion Guest

    Mardon wrote:
    > DHB <> wrote:
    >
    > <*snip*>
    >
    >>What I was impressed with in both your 1st & 2nd Hokey
    >>photo shoots was the diversity of what you covered.

    > <*snip*>
    >
    >>Respectfully, DHB

    > Thank you for your very kind words, DHB. Feedback like yours doubles
    > my fun!
    >
    > It's interesting that you should mention the diversity of my shots.
    > This morning, I delivered complimentary prints of all my hockey
    > photos to the office of the local hockey franchise whose games I
    > covered. This afternoon, I got a telephone call for the team's
    > Governor (CEO). He was extremely complementary about my work and he
    > went out of his way to comment on the diversity of my content.
    > Promoters and sports teams spend a lot of money and time developing
    > family-oriented promotions like "Zamboni Operator For a Day" and
    > "Coach for a Day". In my coverage, I got shots of the boys who had
    > won both of these promotions. After I covered the snowmobile event
    > last weekend (there's a link to it in the "Sports gallery" of
    > www.JustPhotos.ca web site), I gave complimentary photos to the
    > promoter. He got in contact and asked to meet with me because he was
    > so impressed with the diversity of my coverage. What I'm hearing is
    > that most "Pros" who cover these events focus (pardon the pun) on the
    > main-event action to the exclusion of the fans and peripheral
    > activity. Promoters are in the business of selling entertainment and
    > I'm starting to realize that they are delighted to see images of
    > their customers being entertained. :)

    Well said!

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0610-1, 03/08/2006
    Tested on: 3/9/2006 3:58:09 PM

    Matt Ion, Mar 9, 2006