MVPs of the group unite! I need help! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by G Spot Tornado, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. I have a problem with an Actiontec 704 modem router that was provided
    for me by Verizon just a couple of days ago. [Let me say that I had
    the same problem with a Westell Versalink 327W.] I have had no real
    problems setting my home network of 9 computers up until I reached the
    point of trying to get the access point to work properly.

    First, all the computers that are using a wired connection can see
    the internet, and share files with each other in both Windows XP
    [SP2 and all other patches to current] and any of 3 variations of
    Linux [Xandros, SuSe, and Fedora Core 4].

    The wireless computers can connect to the internet, and can see and
    share files with ANY of the computers that are connected in wired
    fashion. Each computer connecting wirelessly can connect to 8 other
    computers. Each wired computer can connect to 8 other computers, and
    the internet.

    ----- The problem is that the 2 computers connecting to the
    router/access point over an air connection cannot see any of the
    drives or directories shared on the other. The computer name shows up
    in the Net Neighborhood, and in Explorer views, but when I try to view
    anything the connection is tried, and either I allow it [after quite a
    while] to time out, or I get a message saying I might not have access
    rights to what I am trying to examine. -------

    For purposes of troubleshooting, all firewalls on the computers have
    been disabled [yes, they have been double checked and are down], and
    all computers are booting Windows XP SP2 so that the network is
    homogenous as far as operating systems are concerned. The wireless
    clients are configured in INFRASTRUCTURE mode, so that
    they can correctly hook up to the Actiontec. Also, it would be
    extremely annoying to have to change from INFRA mode to AD HOC mode
    just to share files, and also it wouldn't work well as the 2 wireless
    computers are at opposite ends of the house with the access point in
    the middle. The connection is not great in AD HOC between the two
    clients and also if I were to somehow enhance the connection speed and
    quality, I would still have to be physically travel across the house
    to change operational modes.

    Almost forgot, again, for setup purposes all encryption has been
    disabled.

    I have had other problems with the Westell Versalink 327W, but this
    problem is a common one with that unit.

    I have been to PRACTICALLYNETWORKED.COM and a couple of other network
    setup sites but nothing really addresses the problem I am having. I
    have seen people discussing problems with one wireless connection to a
    wireless router with one wired connection, but this is clearly not the
    problem I am having.

    Am I doing something wrong or is this item a piece of garbage that is
    not truly an access point, but just a wireless connection? Because I
    can connect to the wired parts of the network I see that the
    connection is being made, and am hypothesizing that this 'access
    point' is not speedy enough to intake one wireless connection and
    output another.

    As you might suspect, Verizon and Actiontec are pointing fingers at
    each other and saying the other is responsible
    for supporting this.

    Any help I could get would be SO appreciated.

    Thanks.
    G Spot Tornado, Feb 3, 2006

  2. G Spot Tornado

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    How it works if you take the two Wireless computers and put them temporarily
    in the same Room with the Wireless source?

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 3, 2006

  3. On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 21:35:38 -0500, "Jack" <> wrote:

> [...]
    >> setup sites but nothing really addresses the problem I am having. I
    >> have seen people discussing problems with one wireless connection to a
    >> wireless router with one wired connection, but this is clearly not the
    >> problem I am having.
    >>
    >> Am I doing something wrong or is this item a piece of garbage that is
    >> not truly an access point, but just a wireless connection? Because I
    >> can connect to the wired parts of the network I see that the
    >> connection is being made, and am hypothesizing that this 'access
    >> point' is not speedy enough to intake one wireless connection and
    >> output another.
    >>
    >> As you might suspect, Verizon and Actiontec are pointing fingers at
    >> each other and saying the other is responsible
    >> for supporting this.
    >>

    >> Any help I could get would be SO appreciated.

    It doesn't. But when I added a regular NIC to one of the wireless
    computers and strung 75' of wire to temporarily check the "sharing
    setup" I found that once again the computer just changed would speak
    to all the others, share with all the others, etc.

    I must conclude that the piece of garbage foisted on me by Verizon is
    the problem, just like the last one[Westell Versalink 327W]. Why call
    these things access point routers if they only connect to the internet
    by 802.11G, and don't allow 2 802.11G connections to connect THRU the
    access point. This is BAD MARKETING at its finest.

    Any other ideas? BTW, what brands of access points will do what I
    want? What are the MAGIC advertising words that indicate the access
    point will allow 2 wireless clients to speak thru it in INFRASTRUCTURE
    mode?
    G Spot Tornado, Feb 3, 2006