MVP Awards

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Montreal MCT, Apr 5, 2007.

  1. Montreal MCT

    Montreal MCT Guest

    There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
    pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify a few
    points:

    1. You cannot earn MVP status. You must be nominated by a current MVP or in
    some cases Microsoft employees. Once that is done you are vetted for
    worthiness in the program based on your positive contributions to community
    in the preceeding twelve months. Though there are other ways of being
    noticed, the easiest way is a presence in on-line newsgroups.

    2. There are no professional requirements for being nominated. You are not
    required to hold any certifications, even if you are being nominated in an
    area that has certifications. You can therefore be an MVP in Windows Server
    or Active Directory without holding any of the credentials.

    3. The MVP award is just that, it is an award. It is not a credential, and
    should be seen as such.

    4. If you set out as your goal to become an MVP then chances are you will
    fail. It takes a long time to be noticed by the right people, and if you
    are making your contributions based solely on the goal, then you will
    probably falter before it happens. MVPs are community-minded people with a
    passion for helping, and that is pretty hard to fake. And frankly though
    there are real benefits to being an MVP they are dwarfed by the commitment
    it requires to become one.

    5. All MVPs must follow a code of conduct that includes respect for others
    as well as the program, and overall positive behaviour. As was proven in
    October MVPs who do not follow this code will have the award revoked.

    6. MVPs do receive some benefits but they do not receive compensation. We
    do what we do because we believe in it, not for the money... there isn't any
    (though if you do go to Summit there is food and drink).

    I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it has
    little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather how
    you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a rogue
    group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication and
    comportment were in line with these guidelines.

    --
    Montreal MCT
    Visit my blog at

    Montreal MCT, Apr 5, 2007

  2. Montreal MCT

    CBIC Guest

    "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message

    > I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it
    > has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather
    > how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a
    > rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication
    > and comportment were in line with these guidelines.

    Good informative post. Rogue group <chuckle> gee, I wonder who that is.

    CBIC, Apr 5, 2007

  3. Montreal MCT

    JaR Guest

    CBIC wrote:
    > "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it
    >> has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather
    >> how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a
    >> rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication
    >> and comportment were in line with these guidelines.
    >>

    > Good informative post. Rogue group <chuckle> gee, I wonder who that is.

    Considering that we have two MVPs and one Microsoftie as members,,
    shirley not lil' ol' US?

    --
    JaR
    Rogue #22

    JaR, Apr 5, 2007
  4. Montreal MCT

    T. S. Ripley Guest

    "FrisbeeĀ®" <> wrote in

    > "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
    >> There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
    >> pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify
    >> a few points:
    >>
    >> 1. You cannot earn MVP status. You must be nominated by a current
    >> MVP or in some cases Microsoft employees. Once that is done you are
    >> vetted for worthiness in the program based on your positive
    >> contributions to community in the preceeding twelve months. Though
    >> there are other ways of being noticed, the easiest way is a presence
    >> in on-line newsgroups.
    >>
    >> 2. There are no professional requirements for being nominated. You
    >> are not required to hold any certifications, even if you are being
    >> nominated in an area that has certifications. You can therefore be
    >> an MVP in Windows Server or Active Directory without holding any of
    >> the credentials.
    >>
    >> 3. The MVP award is just that, it is an award. It is not a
    >> credential, and should be seen as such.
    >>
    >> 4. If you set out as your goal to become an MVP then chances are you
    >> will fail. It takes a long time to be noticed by the right people,
    >> and if you are making your contributions based solely on the goal,
    >> then you will probably falter before it happens. MVPs are
    >> community-minded people with a passion for helping, and that is
    >> pretty hard to fake. And frankly though there are real benefits to
    >> being an MVP they are dwarfed by the commitment it requires to become
    >> one.
    >>
    >> 5. All MVPs must follow a code of conduct that includes respect for
    >> others as well as the program, and overall positive behaviour. As
    >> was proven in October MVPs who do not follow this code will have the
    >> award revoked.
    >>
    >> 6. MVPs do receive some benefits but they do not receive
    >> compensation. We do what we do because we believe in it, not for the
    >> money... there isn't any (though if you do go to Summit there is food
    >> and drink).
    >>
    >> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP
    >> it has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent,
    >> rather how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a
    >> member of a rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's
    >> commitment and dedication and comportment were in line with these
    >> guidelines.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Montreal MCT
    >> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
    >> Visit my blog at
    >> http://dnn.mitpro.ca/mitpro/Blogs/tabid/59/BlogID/2/Default.aspx?

    wp_ml
    >> =0

    > You could have saved Ripley a lot of time and grief if you had only
    > posted this a few days ago. I'm thinking he did not anticipate any of
    > these points at all.

    No, I anticipated this enough. Specifically #5 is why I dropped MCNGP.
    Before, as you stated Frisbee, I was helpful. That, I will return to
    doing. There's no reason to recite what's happened thus far and that's
    all I have to say. The rest is just harassment if deemed such, not on
    your part, but by other members of the community.

    T. S. Ripley, Apr 5, 2007
  5. Montreal MCT

    catwalker63 Guest

    FrisbeeĀ® piffled away vaguely:

    > "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> wrote in message
    >> There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
    >> pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify a
    >> few points:
    >>
    >> 1. You cannot earn MVP status. You must be nominated by a current MVP or
    >> in some cases Microsoft employees. Once that is done you are vetted for
    >> worthiness in the program based on your positive contributions to
    >> community in the preceeding twelve months. Though there are other ways of
    >> being noticed, the easiest way is a presence in on-line newsgroups.
    >>
    >> 2. There are no professional requirements for being nominated. You are
    >> not required to hold any certifications, even if you are being nominated
    >> in an area that has certifications. You can therefore be an MVP in
    >> Windows Server or Active Directory without holding any of the credentials.
    >>
    >> 3. The MVP award is just that, it is an award. It is not a credential,
    >> and should be seen as such.
    >>
    >> 4. If you set out as your goal to become an MVP then chances are you will
    >> fail. It takes a long time to be noticed by the right people, and if you
    >> are making your contributions based solely on the goal, then you will
    >> probably falter before it happens. MVPs are community-minded people with
    >> a passion for helping, and that is pretty hard to fake. And frankly
    >> though there are real benefits to being an MVP they are dwarfed by the
    >> commitment it requires to become one.
    >>
    >> 5. All MVPs must follow a code of conduct that includes respect for others
    >> as well as the program, and overall positive behaviour. As was proven in
    >> October MVPs who do not follow this code will have the award revoked.
    >>
    >> 6. MVPs do receive some benefits but they do not receive compensation. We
    >> do what we do because we believe in it, not for the money... there isn't
    >> any (though if you do go to Summit there is food and drink).
    >>
    >> I hope this clarifies some of the myth. If you do want to be an MVP it
    >> has little to do with whatever little clubhouses you may frequent, rather
    >> how you compose yourself. It would not be unheard of for a member of a
    >> rogue group to become an MVP if the individual's commitment and dedication
    >> and comportment were in line with these guidelines.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Montreal MCT
    >> Microsoft MVP: Windows Server - Customer Experience
    >> Visit my blog at
    >> http://dnn.mitpro.ca/mitpro/Blogs/tabid/59/BlogID/2/Default.aspx?wp_ml=0

    > You could have saved Ripley a lot of time and grief if you had only posted
    > this a few days ago. I'm thinking he did not anticipate any of these points
    > at all.

    In the long run, though, I think this sequence of events saves us time
    and grief. Mr. Ripley turns out to not be MCNGP material any more than
    he is MVP material. I'm sorry to say I think he will crack long before
    12 months are over and show his true colors once again. I wish him luck
    but I am skeptical. I don't remember him offering any real help, even
    after his handle change. To be awarded an MVP he would have to go over
    and above consistantly. You can't fake that, certainly not for a whole
    year.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Apr 5, 2007
  6. Montreal MCT

    TBone Guest

    And on the eigth day "Montreal MCT" <yeah.right.com> did cause the

    > There has been a great deal of discussion in the newsgroups of late
    > pertaining to attempting to earn MVP status. I would like to clarify
    > a few points:

    0.5. The first rule of MVP is not to talk about MVP.

    i.e. Anyone worthy of becoming MVP should know how to find this.

    -------

    T-Bone
    MCNGP XL

    TBone, Apr 5, 2007