    I want archival prints from.

    So, how many printers can a pc (or mine to be precise) run at the same time
    and how?
    Piemanlager, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Piemanlager

    Gadi Ben-Avi Guest

    Hi Simon,

    You can connect many printers to a PC.
    If the printer uses a parallel connection, you need some kind of switch and
    then you have to manualy switch to the printer you want to use.

    If the printer uses USB conenctions then you can have all the printers
    connected and wen you want to print, you choose which printer to use.

    If you have a network and the printer can be connected directly to the
    network, that is another option.

    Each printer type will have it own drivers, and yu'll be able to name each
    one so you know where your printout will come out.

    Gadi

    Gadi Ben-Avi, Mar 1, 2005

  3. On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:25:16 GMT, "Piemanlager"
    <> wrote:

    >I would be grateful if some could explain to me with my fairly limited pc
    >understanding how one PC can control / use more than one printer.
    >
    >i.e.. my pc has a centron 2.6 processor, 512 ram (soon to be 1012) and at
    >the moment 40 gb hard drive, using windows XP.
    >I have one R300 but want to print faster so I am thinking of another 3 R200
    >or R 300 for printing general stuff, then either and R800 or R1800 for work
    >I want archival prints from.
    >
    >So, how many printers can a pc (or mine to be precise) run at the same time
    >and how?

    You didn't say how many USB Ports your computer has. But I would say
    use a USB Hub and put as many printers on it as you have ports. Once
    the PC has spooled the print file to the printer it's not involved in
    the printing process other than seeing the job finishes.

    "Les livres font les époques et les nations,
    commes les époques et les nations font les livres."

    _Mélanges littéraires_
    Jean-Jacques Ampère
    (1800-1864)
    John A. Stovall, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Piemanlager

    Matt Ion Guest

    Gadi Ben-Avi wrote:
    > Hi Simon,
    >
    > You can connect many printers to a PC.
    > If the printer uses a parallel connection, you need some kind of switch and
    > then you have to manualy switch to the printer you want to use.

    Not necessarily. Automatic switches are available, as are additional
    parallel ports (one or more on a PCI card), and USB-to-parallel adapters
    to let you plug a parallel printer into a USB port.

    > If the printer uses USB conenctions then you can have all the printers
    > connected and wen you want to print, you choose which printer to use.
    >
    > If you have a network and the printer can be connected directly to the
    > network, that is another option.

    Wired and wireless network print-servers are also available; despite the
    "server" title they're generally just a small box with one or more
    parallel connectors. If you're using a broadband router for your
    internet connection, you could also replace that with a router that
    includes a built-in print server.
    Matt Ion, Mar 2, 2005