Must Have Security Software ?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by xdj, May 6, 2004.

  1. xdj

    xdj Guest

    hi, im running M$ XP, tried 2003 server/longhorn (wasnt happy with driver
    conflicts)

    wondering if we can start a list of must haves, your personal tools that
    you use to keep your comp running fast and secure.

    ANTI VIRUS
    bit defender
    nod32
    kaspersky
    panda platinum

    TROJAN REMOVER
    tds
    trojan remover

    FIREWALL
    tiny
    sygate
    zone alarm

    ANONYMIZER
    proxomitron
    steganos

    MISC
    hijack this
    active ports
    pgp 8
    ad aware
    webroot spysweeper
    port explorer
    www.grc.com
    www.stayinvisible.com
    all major windows updates and fixes

    now everything is ranked in order of my preference(except MISC), some
    might work better but the load on my cpu was to much, so with protection
    and resources this is my list.(i have a 2.0 ghz 512 ram)

    can anyone suggest some better gems than this, lets just say that my
    computer is quite the target of a few misguided souls, the best security
    is what im looking for.

    thanks for your input

    xdj, May 6, 2004

  2. xdj

    crisp Guest

    how many firewalls and anti virus programs are you running at one time?

    crisp, May 6, 2004

  3. I know your question asked about software but just in case you have
    overlooked it a hardware firewall (included in a NAT router) I belive is a
    must also

    Mike Saunders

    Mike Saunders, May 6, 2004
  4. xdj

    xdj Guest

    "Mike Saunders" <> wrote in

    > I know your question asked about software but just in case you have
    > overlooked it a hardware firewall (included in a NAT router) I belive
    > is a must also
    >
    > Mike Saunders
    >
    > "xdj" <> wrote in message
    >> hi, im running M$ XP, tried 2003 server/longhorn (wasnt happy with
    >> driver conflicts)
    >>
    >> wondering if we can start a list of must haves, your personal tools
    >> that you use to keep your comp running fast and secure.
    >>
    >> ANTI VIRUS
    >> bit defender
    >> nod32
    >> kaspersky
    >> panda platinum
    >>
    >> TROJAN REMOVER
    >> tds
    >> trojan remover
    >>
    >> FIREWALL
    >> tiny
    >> sygate
    >> zone alarm
    >>
    >> ANONYMIZER
    >> proxomitron
    >> steganos
    >>
    >> MISC
    >> hijack this
    >> active ports
    >> pgp 8
    >> ad aware
    >> webroot spysweeper
    >> port explorer
    >> www.grc.com
    >> www.stayinvisible.com
    >> all major windows updates and fixes
    >>
    >> now everything is ranked in order of my preference(except MISC), some
    >> might work better but the load on my cpu was to much, so with
    >> protection and resources this is my list.(i have a 2.0 ghz 512 ram)
    >>
    >> can anyone suggest some better gems than this, lets just say that my
    >> computer is quite the target of a few misguided souls, the best
    >> security is what im looking for.
    >>
    >> thanks for your input

    im only running anti virus, firewall, plus routine trojan and adware
    scans. this list was just what i found to be the best, just wondering if
    anyone can suggest any better. i dont run 3 anti virus.

    im looking at buying a hardware firewall, any suggestions on that would
    be appreciated, only need a 1 user config, a really good hardware
    firewall is on my wish list.

    thanks again

    xdj, May 6, 2004
  5. On Thu, 06 May 2004 11:25:36 GMT, xdj <> wrote:

    >hi, im running M$ XP, tried 2003 server/longhorn (wasnt happy with driver
    >conflicts)
    >
    >wondering if we can start a list of must haves, your personal tools that
    >you use to keep your comp running fast and secure.
    >
    >ANTI VIRUS
    >bit defender
    >nod32
    >kaspersky
    >panda platinum
    >
    >TROJAN REMOVER
    >tds
    >trojan remover
    >
    >FIREWALL
    >tiny
    >sygate
    >zone alarm
    >
    >ANONYMIZER
    >proxomitron
    >steganos
    >
    >MISC
    >hijack this
    >active ports
    >pgp 8
    >ad aware
    >webroot spysweeper
    >port explorer
    >www.grc.com
    >www.stayinvisible.com
    >all major windows updates and fixes
    >
    >now everything is ranked in order of my preference(except MISC), some
    >might work better but the load on my cpu was to much, so with protection
    >and resources this is my list.(i have a 2.0 ghz 512 ram)
    >
    >can anyone suggest some better gems than this, lets just say that my
    >computer is quite the target of a few misguided souls, the best security
    >is what im looking for.
    >
    >thanks for your input

    My list is my website

    --
    Freeware revieuws, honest, no nags
    www.NONDISPUTANDUM.com

    NonDisputandum.com, May 7, 2004
  6. In article <Xns94E19BAD64D9Bxdj@64.59.144.76>, says...
    > "Mike Saunders" <> wrote in
    >
    > > I know your question asked about software but just in case you have
    > > overlooked it a hardware firewall (included in a NAT router) I belive
    > > is a must also
    > >
    > > Mike Saunders
    > >
    > > "xdj" <> wrote in message
    > >> hi, im running M$ XP, tried 2003 server/longhorn (wasnt happy with
    > >> driver conflicts)
    > >>
    > >> wondering if we can start a list of must haves, your personal tools
    > >> that you use to keep your comp running fast and secure.
    > >>
    > >> ANTI VIRUS
    > >> bit defender
    > >> nod32
    > >> kaspersky
    > >> panda platinum
    > >>
    > >> TROJAN REMOVER
    > >> tds
    > >> trojan remover
    > >>
    > >> FIREWALL
    > >> tiny
    > >> sygate
    > >> zone alarm
    > >>
    > >> ANONYMIZER
    > >> proxomitron
    > >> steganos
    > >>
    > >> MISC
    > >> hijack this
    > >> active ports
    > >> pgp 8
    > >> ad aware
    > >> webroot spysweeper
    > >> port explorer
    > >> www.grc.com
    > >> www.stayinvisible.com
    > >> all major windows updates and fixes
    > >>
    > >> now everything is ranked in order of my preference(except MISC), some
    > >> might work better but the load on my cpu was to much, so with
    > >> protection and resources this is my list.(i have a 2.0 ghz 512 ram)
    > >>
    > >> can anyone suggest some better gems than this, lets just say that my
    > >> computer is quite the target of a few misguided souls, the best
    > >> security is what im looking for.
    > >>
    > >> thanks for your input

    > im only running anti virus, firewall, plus routine trojan and adware
    > scans. this list was just what i found to be the best, just wondering if
    > anyone can suggest any better. i dont run 3 anti virus.
    >
    > im looking at buying a hardware firewall, any suggestions on that would
    > be appreciated, only need a 1 user config, a really good hardware
    > firewall is on my wish list.
    >
    > thanks again

    most of the linksys, dlink, etc. companies provide a stateful packet
    inspection hardware router/firewall with NAT.

    i wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with most things spoken by Gibson.

    add Cotse.net to the list of proxies.

    F-Secure, F-Prot and Sophos to the anti-virus list.

    and spybot to the spyware list.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, May 7, 2004
  7. xdj

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 17:28:22 -0400, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >i wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with most things spoken by Gibson.

    Zonealarm is good does not give any trouble and is free.

    Spinrite is worth buying.

    from grc.com

    "If your machine is behind a NAT router and/or personal firewall,
    your system should be safe from external intrusion. But this new
    worm is exploiting one of the Windows vulnerabilities disclosed by
    Microsoft's April patches, which allows for the execution of code
    in remote machines, which is always dangerous. So now would be a
    good time to double-check with Windows Update to be sure you're
    running Windows with all current patches."

    Nothing wrong with his advice there ...

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 8, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    _way says...
    > On Fri, 7 May 2004 17:28:22 -0400, Colonel Flagg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >i wouldn't hit a dog in the ass with most things spoken by Gibson.

    > Zonealarm is good does not give any trouble and is free.

    Zonealarm is crap.

    > Spinrite is worth buying.

    I wouldn't buy shit from Gibson, especially something called "Spinrite",
    considering the spin is spits forth, the name hits it on the spot.

    > from grc.com
    >
    > "If your machine is behind a NAT router and/or personal firewall,
    > your system should be safe from external intrusion. But this new
    > worm is exploiting one of the Windows vulnerabilities disclosed by
    > Microsoft's April patches, which allows for the execution of code
    > in remote machines, which is always dangerous. So now would be a
    > good time to double-check with Windows Update to be sure you're
    > running Windows with all current patches."
    >
    > Nothing wrong with his advice there ...

    other than it's not very insightful and "duh?" comes to mind.

    he's an educated "Tracker" and nothing more.

    of course he's impressed you, you had no clue how DNS works. he targets
    the clueless.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, May 8, 2004
  9. xdj

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 23:26:13 -0400, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >I wouldn't buy shit from Gibson, especially something called "Spinrite",
    >considering the spin is spits forth, the name hits it on the spot.

    Clearly you don't need it, you already have a sufficiency.

    However, its a very good product which does what it says
    and has recovered a number of disks with clients data
    for me.

    If you produce something better, feel free critisise, but as you
    haven't even seen it you are talking out of your arse.

    And that smells.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 8, 2004
  10. In article <>,
    _way says...
    > On Fri, 7 May 2004 23:26:13 -0400, Colonel Flagg
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I wouldn't buy shit from Gibson, especially something called "Spinrite",
    > >considering the spin is spits forth, the name hits it on the spot.

    > Clearly you don't need it, you already have a sufficiency.
    >
    > However, its a very good product which does what it says
    > and has recovered a number of disks with clients data
    > for me.
    >
    > If you produce something better, feel free critisise, but as you
    > haven't even seen it you are talking out of your arse.
    >
    > And that smells.
    >

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Ontrak Data Recovery is my favorite, Encase is yet another.... both of
    which are top notch examples of professionally designed pieces of
    software, especially Ontrack. It's not some assembly code written by a
    rank amateur.

    Just because you bask in the shadow of your idol Steve Gibson, doesn't
    mean you need to keep your nose up his ass all the time....

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, May 8, 2004
  11. xdj

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 8 May 2004 11:33:25 -0400, Colonel Flagg
    <> wrote:

    >Ontrak Data Recovery is my favorite

    I've got a version of that, its good, but does different things,
    so does Encase.

    >which are top notch examples of professionally designed pieces of
    >software, especially Ontrack. It's not some assembly code written by a
    >rank amateur.

    1. Have you actually seen it ? The interface is excellent.

    2. I've written assembly code for a living, be not scornful of that
    which is beyond your understanding.

    >Just because you bask in the shadow of your idol Steve Gibson, doesn't
    >mean you need to keep your nose up his ass all the time....

    Leviticus 19:4

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 8, 2004
  12. xdj

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    >>which are top notch examples of professionally designed pieces of
    >>software, especially Ontrack. It's not some assembly code written by a
    >>rank amateur.

    > 1. Have you actually seen it ? The interface is excellent.

    I have. The interface is clean and efficient but I don't think it's
    excellent.

    > 2. I've written assembly code for a living, be not scornful of that
    > which is beyond your understanding.

    I write assembler code for a living right now. I've seen Gibson's code from
    both sides (I own a license for SpinRite). His code is, at best, adequate
    to accomplish the task at hand. There's a lot of places in SpinRite that
    could be optimised both for speed and clarity.

    >>Just because you bask in the shadow of your idol Steve Gibson, doesn't
    >>mean you need to keep your nose up his ass all the time....

    > Leviticus 19:4

    For those who don't have a bible or don't want to look, the passage reads:
    "Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourself molten gods: I am the Lord
    your God."

    In that section of Leviticus, God was attempting to give the Israelites
    rules to live by. It doesn't bear on this discussion because it wasn't mean
    for us (modern people) but rather for the Israelites.

    Doc

    irc2.peacefulhaven.net -or- http://www.peacefulhaven.net
    Home of the Official DocJeff Challenge

    [ Doc Jeff ], May 9, 2004
  13. xdj

    David 01 Guest

    "[ Doc Jeff ]" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Watt <_way> wrote in
    >
    > >>which are top notch examples of professionally designed pieces of
    > >>software, especially Ontrack. It's not some assembly code written by a
    > >>rank amateur.

    > > 1. Have you actually seen it ? The interface is excellent.

    > I have. The interface is clean and efficient but I don't think it's
    > excellent.
    >
    > > 2. I've written assembly code for a living, be not scornful of that
    > > which is beyond your understanding.

    > I write assembler code for a living right now. I've seen Gibson's code

    from
    > both sides (I own a license for SpinRite). His code is, at best, adequate
    > to accomplish the task at hand. There's a lot of places in SpinRite that
    > could be optimised both for speed and clarity.
    >
    > >>Just because you bask in the shadow of your idol Steve Gibson, doesn't
    > >>mean you need to keep your nose up his ass all the time....

    > > Leviticus 19:4

    > For those who don't have a bible or don't want to look, the passage reads:
    > "Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourself molten gods: I am the Lord
    > your God."
    >
    > In that section of Leviticus, God was attempting to give the Israelites
    > rules to live by. It doesn't bear on this discussion because it wasn't

    mean
    > for us (modern people) but rather for the Israelites.
    >
    > Doc

    There was a song about your belief called everybody else but me.

    Where does God say that's not for everybody?

    1 Corinthians 10:11

    David 01, May 9, 2004
  14. xdj

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 9 May 2004 01:27:24 GMT, "[ Doc Jeff ]" <>
    wrote:

    >I write assembler code for a living right now. I've seen Gibson's code from
    >both sides (I own a license for SpinRite). His code is, at best, adequate
    >to accomplish the task at hand. There's a lot of places in SpinRite that
    >could be optimised both for speed and clarity.

    Fine, really you are confirming what I said, its not 'shit'

    One of my early jobs was maintaining other peoples vile assembler
    code, and it inspired me to write programs clearly rather than
    cryptically. I haven't examined the code of Spinrite, but
    did buy the product, and have had a lot of value out of it.

    Another thing to the credit of Mr Gibson, is that I mentioned
    to him that 'download demon' from Real Networks contained
    spyware and he certainly followed that one up.

    And the point of the quote was as a general disclaimer of
    the practice of idolatry. It may have been hot news to the
    children of Israel, but it remains good advice today.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 9, 2004
  15. xdj

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    "David 01" <> wrote in

    >> In that section of Leviticus, God was attempting to give the
    >> Israelites rules to live by. It doesn't bear on this discussion
    >> because it wasn't mean for us (modern people) but rather for the
    >> Israelites.

    > There was a song about your belief called everybody else but me.

    That makes no sense.

    > Where does God say that's not for everybody?
    >
    > 1 Corinthians 10:11

    Read Matthew - particularly the part where Jesus threw out the old law.

    [ Doc Jeff ], May 9, 2004
  16. xdj

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    >>I write assembler code for a living right now. I've seen Gibson's code
    >>from both sides (I own a license for SpinRite). His code is, at best,
    >>adequate to accomplish the task at hand. There's a lot of places in
    >>SpinRite that could be optimised both for speed and clarity.

    > Fine, really you are confirming what I said, its not 'shit'

    Where in my commentary did I say that Spinrite is or isn't shit? I never
    said that.

    > One of my early jobs was maintaining other peoples vile assembler
    > code, and it inspired me to write programs clearly rather than
    > cryptically. I haven't examined the code of Spinrite, but
    > did buy the product, and have had a lot of value out of it.

    I have examined it. Gibson has always been said to be a good coder and I
    wanted to see for myself if that was true. It is my opinion, after
    examining Spinrite's code, that Gibson is an adequate coder but he's not a
    good coder.

    > Another thing to the credit of Mr Gibson, is that I mentioned
    > to him that 'download demon' from Real Networks contained
    > spyware and he certainly followed that one up.

    I can't speak to that due to a non-disclosure agreement. I will, however,
    remind you that what some people claim to be spyware is, in fact, not.

    > And the point of the quote was as a general disclaimer of
    > the practice of idolatry. It may have been hot news to the
    > children of Israel, but it remains good advice today.

    Oh. I was under the impression the quote was meant to annoy Flagg. I know
    several Christians who flaunt verses of scripture and often don't have clue
    one about the meaning thereof. <shrug>

    [ Doc Jeff ], May 9, 2004
  17. xdj

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 9 May 2004 16:39:44 GMT, "[ Doc Jeff ]" <>
    wrote:

    >Oh. I was under the impression the quote was meant to annoy Flagg.

    In part, although its a more polite and appropriate comeback than FOAD

    I don't engage in idolatry of any kind.

    >I know several Christians who flaunt verses of scripture and often don't have clue
    >one about the meaning thereof. <shrug>

    Why should the Christians have all The best quotes ;)

    But we digress.

    In fairness to Real Networks, they refunded the money I paid
    for 'download demon' and the licence agreement made it
    clear it intended to report on all my downloads using it and there
    is no good reason for it to do that.

    I haven't written anything in assembly since the 8080 but
    sometimes get tempted to have a go.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, May 9, 2004
  18. xdj

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    >>Oh. I was under the impression the quote was meant to annoy Flagg.

    > In part, although its a more polite and appropriate comeback than FOAD

    But FOAD is much more respectable in this sort of forum.

    > I don't engage in idolatry of any kind.

    You don't even watch American Idol, do you? :p

    > In fairness to Real Networks, they refunded the money I paid
    > for 'download demon' and the licence agreement made it
    > clear it intended to report on all my downloads using it and there
    > is no good reason for it to do that.

    Since I work for them, I can't really say anything. I'll just nod my head
    and say "There, there"

    > I haven't written anything in assembly since the 8080 but
    > sometimes get tempted to have a go.

    The tools haven't really advanced much since then. SLR Systems had a very
    nice tools in Z80 ASM Plus. Best assembler I've ever used. It wasn't
    especially secure though. (weak attempt to stay on topic)

    [ Doc Jeff ], May 9, 2004