Must assign drive letter to hidden partition in order to Hibernate(win 7 x64)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Alexander Shenkin, Aug 11, 2010.

  1. Hi Folks,

    My machine is unable to hibernate: when I try, it cranks the HDD for
    10-15 seconds, beeps, and then brings me to the login screen (it's as if
    i've just locked my screen).

    If I assign a drive letter to the win 7 hidden partition, hibernation
    works again. I can un-assign the drive letter in the same session, and
    hibernation still works. Upon reboot however, hibernation returns to
    its broken state. If this issue is a symptom of a basic problem
    somewhere, there might be other symptoms as well: bcdedit doesn't find
    the bcd store unless I assign a drive letter to the hidden partition.
    And my machine sometimes fails to assign drive letters to some USB
    drives, but that might stem from a different problem.

    Any idea what might be happening here, and how to fix it?

    I suspect it might have something to do with active partitions (my
    hidden partition is marked as active), but that doesn't quite seem to
    jibe. Folks who dual boot seem to run into some similar issues at times
    - when the other OS partitions are marked as active, hibernate seems to
    break in a very similiar way.

    I have tried the following, none of which have helped: ran sfc /scannow;
    booted into clean boot mode (MS services only, no startup progs); ran a
    Startup Repair; ran chkdsk; reverted all services to their default
    install state; reinstalled video, network and chipset drivers. I have
    no USB devices. All network devices have their Wake option disabled.
    Hybrid sleep mode is disabled. I can sleep my system with no problems.
    No system restore point is available from before the problem cropped
    up. Microsoft support is not available to me as this is an MSDNAA
    install of windows.

    Ideas are very welcome! I would love to lick this problem without
    screwing up my system with a repair install.

    thanks,

    alex

    Win 7 Pro x64
    Thinkpad T400 2764-CTO
    6GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    ATI Mobility Radeon 2450
    Fully Updated OS and drivers
    Alexander Shenkin, Aug 11, 2010

  2. This is something that should be taken to Lenovo Technical Support. I
    have two laptops and neither of them have problems hibernating with
    Windows 7; one is 32-bit and one is 64-bit - An Asus and a Dell with no
    drive letter assigned to the System Reserved partition on either of them.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 11, 2010

  3. On 8/11/2010 2:35 PM, Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > This is something that should be taken to Lenovo Technical Support. I
    > have two laptops and neither of them have problems hibernating with
    > Windows 7; one is 32-bit and one is 64-bit - An Asus and a Dell with no
    > drive letter assigned to the System Reserved partition on either of them.

    Thanks Bobby, but there's no way Lenovo is going to be able to help me
    with this. It's a real killer of a problem, and those guys generally
    have a book they use to troubleshoot stuff like this. The solution to
    this one ain't in no book...

    Alexander Shenkin, Aug 11, 2010