Musical Artists That Should Have DVDs Out But Don't

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Todd Tamanend Clark, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:

    [Concert Films, Television Appearances, Videos]

    Berlin
    Blue Cheer
    Brule
    Captain Beefheart
    Cecil Taylor
    Die Warzau
    Frank Zappa
    Gravity Kills
    Iggy Pop/The Stooges
    Indigenous
    Jefferson Airplane
    Jim Pepper
    John Cage
    Laurie Anderson
    Link Wray
    Max Frost And The Troopers
    Missing Persons
    My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult
    Ornette Coleman
    Paul Revere And The Raiders
    Peter Buffett
    R. Carlos Nakai
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk
    Redbone
    Rob Zombie
    Screamin' Jay Hawkins
    Sparks
    Stabbing Westward
    The Byrds
    The Crystal Method
    The Fugs
    The Lords Of The New Church
    The Thirteenth Floor Elevators
    The Tubes
    Yma Sumac

    - - - -
    TODD TAMANEND CLARK
    Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian
    Primal Pulse (Label-Publisher-Studio)
    The Monongahela River, Turtle Island

    - - - -
    Now Available:
    Staff, Mask, Rattle (2-CD: Instrumental, 2002)
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc2
    Owls In Obsidian (CD: Instrumental, 2000)
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc

    Forthcoming:
    Monongahela Riverrun (CD: Instrumental, 2003)

    - - - -
    "American radio listeners, raised on a diet of ___ (fill in the blank)
    have experienced a musical universe so small they cannot begin
    to know what they like."
    - - Frank Zappa

    Todd Tamanend Clark, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Todd Tamanend Clark

    mpomario Guest

    Definately Zappa. I have a few bootlegs that I bought at a guitar show and
    there was tons more. Good stuff too.

    mpomario, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Todd Tamanend Clark

    luminos Guest

    Orff
    Barber
    Bernstein
    Mahler

    luminos, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Evil Guest

    (Todd Tamanend Clark) wrote in message news:<>...
    > MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:

    Queensryche: Video Mindcrime.

    Evil, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Jimmy Buffet (with captioning of lyrics for the late deafened Parrot Head)!

    --
    TTFN
    Scott

    The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Doc Shock Guest

    ZZ Top

    "The Plumply Perverse Pool Guy" <> wrote in
    message news:IE68b.35133$...

    Doc Shock, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Myth Guest

    "Doc Shock" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > ZZ Top

    I just love their "Plays the Music of Duke Ellington" arranged by Wynton M.

    Myth, Sep 11, 2003
  8. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Myth Guest

    > > MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:
    > >

    > Queensryche: Video Mindcrime.

    This looks like the beginning of a new subgroup, rec.music.heavybluenote,
    ????

    Myth, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Pullit Guest

    Berlin actually have a DVD coming out later this year. As far as I know it
    is a live performance with the new lineup - not sure if there will be extras
    like the old 80s videos etc...

    Pullit, Sep 12, 2003
  10. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Evil
    <> wrote:

    > (Todd Tamanend Clark) wrote in message
    > > MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:
    > >

    > Queensryche: Video Mindcrime.

    Operation LiveCrime is out, the dvd version of the old box set.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Sep 12, 2003
  11. Todd Tamanend Clark

    ric Guest

    Todd Tamanend Clark wrote:

    > MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:

    [...snip]

    Again, our resident twit has linked five otherwise unrelated NGs
    together via a crosspost. All groups will be forced to observe
    the replies from the four others.

    Sigh...

    --
    Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...

    ric, Sep 12, 2003
  12. > Our resident twat and anonymous coward (using the newsgroup
    > pseudonym "ric") pecked with one hand in message news when:
    >
    > > Todd Tamanend Clark listed:
    > >
    > > MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:

    > [...snip]
    >
    > Again, our resident twit has linked five otherwise unrelated
    > NGs together via a crosspost.

    They're not unrelated. They discuss various types of music that
    are on the list.

    > All groups will be forced to observe the replies from the four
    > others.

    Subsequent posters are free to delete any newsgroups they so
    choose from the headers.

    > Sigh...

    Boo fucking hoo.

    Don't cry.

    If you don't like the posts, simply skip over them.

    Todd Tamanend Clark, Sep 12, 2003
  13. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Mike C. Guest

    > > Our resident twat and anonymous coward (using the newsgroup
    > > pseudonym "ric") pecked with one hand in message news when:
    > >
    > > > Todd Tamanend Clark listed:
    > > >
    > > > MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:

    > > [...snip]
    > >
    > > Again, our resident twit has linked five otherwise unrelated
    > > NGs together via a crosspost.

    > They're not unrelated. They discuss various types of music that
    > are on the list.
    >
    > > All groups will be forced to observe the replies from the four
    > > others.

    > Subsequent posters are free to delete any newsgroups they so
    > choose from the headers.
    >
    > > Sigh...

    > Boo fucking hoo.
    >
    > Don't cry.
    >
    > If you don't like the posts, simply skip over them.

    But none of the groups discuss *all* of the styles of music in the list.
    Very little jazz content, AFAIK. You keep listing useless lists and
    crosspost them to unrelated and generally uninterested newsgroups, wasting
    bandwidth. Other than the discussion of *some* type of music,
    rec.music.industrial and rec.music.bluenote have nothing in common. Even a
    mental deficient can see that alt.video.dvd and alt.music.bluenote have
    nothing in common.

    If we have to skip over posts that aren't appropriate for the newsgroup, why
    have a subject specific newsgroup at all? Why not just have an overall
    newsgroup where anyone can post whatever they want, without regards to
    interest?

    --
    Mike C.
    "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who

    Mike C., Sep 12, 2003
  14. On 11 Sep 2003 09:19:46 -0700, (Todd Tamanend
    Clark) wrote:

    >MUSICAL ARTISTS THAT SHOULD HAVE DVDS OUT BUT DON'T:

    the worst part is a lot of the OLDER groups mentioned did have killer
    laserdiscs of the videos issued over the year, especially in JAPAN. i
    still come across some stuff i didn't even know existed on ebay.

    there is some hope, it seems always that the EU issues stuff on DVD
    much quicker when it comes to offbeat artists. i've found more
    interesting stuff on amazon.co.uk & .de than i ever do here in the US.

    only time will tell if someone will ante up and slap some of these
    guy's material on a DVD, i just hope they take the care to remaster
    them so when you do buy it, it isn't still in mono or sound like it
    was mastered off of a 2 head VCR.

    mike

    curry wuerstel, Sep 12, 2003
  15. "Mike C." <> wrote in

    > If we have to skip over posts that aren't appropriate for
    > the newsgroup, why have a subject specific newsgroup at
    > all? Why not just have an overall newsgroup where anyone
    > can post whatever they want, without regards to interest?

    Snuh?
    --
    -Chris

    np: Russian Futurists - When The Sun Drops Like An Anvil
    "The 80s sucked in the 80s, and they still suck now."
    -Shakey Mo Collier

    Veni Vidi Exii, Sep 12, 2003
  16. > "Mike C." commented:

    > But none of the groups discuss *all* of the styles of music in
    > the list.

    So what?

    > Very little jazz content, AFAIK.

    Nine of the thirty-six artists listed play jazz, which equals
    twenty-five per cent, right on the money when considering that
    there were four musical genres posted.

    > You keep listing useless lists...

    That's merely a subjective value judgment on your part. Whenever
    I get tired of making lists and take a break from time to time,
    I invariably get requests for more lists, so someone must like
    them.

    > ... and crosspost them to unrelated and generally uninterested
    > newsgroups, wasting bandwidth.

    Wrong. I am always very careful to post on topic.

    > Other than the discussion of *some* type of music,
    > rec.music.industrial and rec.music.bluenote have nothing in common.

    That's pretty funny considering that I'm currently working on my
    eleventh album combining exactly those two styles of music.

    > Even a mental deficient can see that alt.video.dvd and
    > alt.music.bluenote have nothing in common.

    Ground control to space cadet! Come in, Major Mike!

    I guess all those DVDs I have in my collection by Miles Davis,
    Sun Ra, The Doors, Art Pepper, and Thelonious Monk, among others,
    are a figment of my imagination?

    > If we have to skip over posts that aren't appropriate for the
    > newsgroup, why have a subject specific newsgroup at all?

    It's still my contention that my posts ARE appropriate.

    You and Ric are venturing very close to Zedland by attempting to
    play jazz nazi netcop.

    > Why not just have an overall newsgroup where anyone can post
    > whatever they want, without regards to interest?

    There's always that option, too.

    Anarchy and chaos are not without their charm!

    - - - -
    TODD TAMANEND CLARK
    Poet/Composer/Multi-Instrumentalist/Cultural Historian
    Primal Pulse (Label-Publisher-Studio)
    The Monongahela River, Turtle Island

    - - - -
    Now Available:
    Staff, Mask, Rattle (2-CD: Instrumental, 2002)
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc2
    Owls In Obsidian (CD: Instrumental, 2000)
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ttc

    Forthcoming:
    Monongahela Riverrun (CD: Instrumental, 2003)

    - - - -
    "Smash the control images! Smash the control machine!"
    - - William S. Burroughs

    Todd Tamanend Clark, Sep 13, 2003
  17. Todd Tamanend Clark

    ric Guest

    Todd Tamanend Clark wrote:

    > That's merely a subjective value judgment on your part. Whenever
    > I get tired of making lists and take a break from time to time,
    > I invariably get requests for more lists, so someone must like
    > them.

    Gee...I can't remember any such requests coming from rec.music.bluenote.
    They must have all been via direct email, no? <g>

    > You and Ric are venturing very close to Zedland by attempting to
    > play jazz nazi netcop.

    We're just among those that are sick of reading replies to your "lists"
    from rec.music.industrial or alt.music.psychedelic, for example, showing
    up on rec.music.bluenote.

    If you must post these lists, try multi-posting. That way the "psychedelic"
    replies don't show up on bluenote.

    --
    Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...

    ric, Sep 13, 2003
  18. Todd Tamanend Clark

    kinograph Guest

    Orff, Bernstein, and Mahler are all represented on DVD - and there are
    several versions of the Barber of Seville :)

    kinograph, Sep 14, 2003
  19. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Alex Temple Guest

    "Mike C." wrote:

    > Other than the discussion of *some* type of music,
    > rec.music.industrial and rec.music.bluenote have nothing in common.

    There are some artists I can imagine being discussed in both. Free
    improv, mainly.

    --
    Alex Temple
    fiber_optiq NO @ SPAM yahoo PLEASE .com

    Alex Temple, Sep 15, 2003
  20. Todd Tamanend Clark

    Alex Temple Guest

    ric wrote:

    > We're just among those that are sick of reading replies to your "lists"
    > from rec.music.industrial or alt.music.psychedelic, for example, showing
    > up on rec.music.bluenote.
    >
    > If you must post these lists, try multi-posting. That way the "psychedelic"
    > replies don't show up on bluenote.

    Here's what I deduce from this thread:

    Industrial fans and psych fans are perfectly happy to talk about jazz,
    but jazz fans really don't want to hear about psych or industrial.
    Experimental music fans consist only of experimental musicians, because
    the only posts in r.m.e are crossposts or ads. Hmm.

    Alex Temple, Sep 15, 2003