    of space in my room. What can I do about putting it all on a small gadjet
    that plugs into my amp? Can someone point me in the right direction so that
    Ihave some basic idea of what questions to ask in my local hi fi shop?
    michael k, Dec 3, 2007

  2. michael k

    soylentgreen Guest

    Do have a pc or laptop.

    soylentgreen, Dec 3, 2007

  3. michael k

    soylentgreen Guest

    http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/cd-recorders/yamaha-cdrhd1500-titanium.asp

    soylentgreen, Dec 3, 2007
  4. michael k

    p.cbuilder98 Guest

    "michael k" <> wrote in

    > My knowledge of all the latest gadgets for storing music is almost
    > non existent. If I go to a store and ask questions then I will be
    > sold something I do not want. My situation is that I have a decent hi
    > fi system, about 15 years old, with a NAD 3020e amplifier and Mission
    > speakers. I have a collection of about 500cd's and 300 cassettes.
    > The music takes up a lot of space in my room. What can I do about
    > putting it all on a small gadjet that plugs into my amp? Can someone
    > point me in the right direction so that Ihave some basic idea of what
    > questions to ask in my local hi fi shop?

    Why not connect your computer (audio in jack) to your stereo (audio out
    jack) and store your music on the hard drive? Or do you require a small
    device for portability?

    Incidentally if you use a compressed format for your music files then
    expect degradation in the sound quality.

    --
    pcbuilder98
    p.cbuilder98, Dec 3, 2007
  5. michael k

    Guest

    p.cbuilder98 wrote:
    > "michael k" <> wrote in
    >
    > > My knowledge of all the latest gadgets for storing music is almost
    > > non existent. If I go to a store and ask questions then I will be
    > > sold something I do not want. My situation is that I have a decent hi
    > > fi system, about 15 years old, with a NAD 3020e amplifier and Mission
    > > speakers. I have a collection of about 500cd's and 300 cassettes.
    > > The music takes up a lot of space in my room. What can I do about
    > > putting it all on a small gadjet that plugs into my amp? Can someone
    > > point me in the right direction so that Ihave some basic idea of what
    > > questions to ask in my local hi fi shop?

    > Why not connect your computer (audio in jack) to your stereo (audio out
    > jack) and store your music on the hard drive? Or do you require a small
    > device for portability?
    >
    > Incidentally if you use a compressed format for your music files then
    > expect degradation in the sound quality.

    Or not, ,,, dumbfuck.
    , Dec 4, 2007
  6. michael k

    michael k Guest

    "soylentgreen" <> wrote in message
    > Do have a pc or laptop.
    >

    > "michael k" <> wrote in message
    >> My knowledge of all the latest gadgets for storing music is almost non
    >> existent. If I go to a store and ask questions then I will be sold
    >> something I do not want. My situation is that I have a decent hi fi
    >> system, about 15 years old, with a NAD 3020e amplifier and Mission
    >> speakers. I have a collection of about 500cd's and 300 cassettes. The
    >> music takes up a lot of space in my room. What can I do about putting it
    >> all on a small gadjet that plugs into my amp? Can someone point me in
    >> the right direction so that Ihave some basic idea of what questions to
    >> ask in my local hi fi shop?

    I have a laptop. One thing I note from one of the replies to my posting
    is the degradation of the music quality, is that unavoidable?
    michael k, Dec 4, 2007
  7. michael k

    ded Guest

    "michael k" <> wrote in message

    > "soylentgreen" <> wrote in message
    >> Do have a pc or laptop.
    >>

    >> "michael k" <> wrote in message
    >>> My knowledge of all the latest gadgets for storing music is almost non
    >>> existent. If I go to a store and ask questions then I will be sold
    >>> something I do not want. My situation is that I have a decent hi fi
    >>> system, about 15 years old, with a NAD 3020e amplifier and Mission
    >>> speakers. I have a collection of about 500cd's and 300 cassettes. The
    >>> music takes up a lot of space in my room. What can I do about putting
    >>> it all on a small gadjet that plugs into my amp? Can someone point me
    >>> in the right direction so that Ihave some basic idea of what questions
    >>> to ask in my local hi fi shop?
    >>>

    > I have a laptop. One thing I note from one of the replies to my posting
    > is the degradation of the music quality, is that unavoidable?

    There are a whole pile of factors to consider.
    Is your laptop equipped with the line-out to connect to the Nad amp -
    most laptops will have this, but you are reliant on the quality of the
    soundchip that the laptop has. Some are good, some OK, many awful.
    Then there is the size/capacity of the laptops HD, you could of course
    connect a larger external USB drive for music storage, but thats not
    portable.
    With your CD's, it is straightforward ripping them to the HD, but if
    you rip as CDA (as the original cd's) or as a WAV, then they will
    rapidly consume HD space.
    There are numerous compression techniques, the obvious two being
    MP3 or WMA, the second can be performed by WMP.
    As MP3 or WMA files they can then be easily transferrred to portable
    pocket devices etc. (If that is required)
    There are varying levels of compression that can be applied, the more
    compression the smaller the file size, the more content you can fit, but
    the price for *excessive* compression is discernable sonic degradation.
    It's trial and error, connect your laptops line-out to the amp, load a CD
    and play, if it sounds OK, then try ripping the CD to HD and apply a
    compression technique such as WMA (Win Media player can do this
    and just try differing compression levels to see what the effect is.)
    ded, Dec 4, 2007
  8. michael k

    p.cbuilder98 Guest

    wrote in news:2cf8f78a-edfb-4ded-bc66-
    :
    > p.cbuilder98 wrote:
    >> "michael k" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > My knowledge of all the latest gadgets for storing music is almost
    >> > non existent. If I go to a store and ask questions then I will be
    >> > sold something I do not want. My situation is that I have a decent hi
    >> > fi system, about 15 years old, with a NAD 3020e amplifier and Mission
    >> > speakers. I have a collection of about 500cd's and 300 cassettes.
    >> > The music takes up a lot of space in my room. What can I do about
    >> > putting it all on a small gadjet that plugs into my amp? Can someone
    >> > point me in the right direction so that Ihave some basic idea of what
    >> > questions to ask in my local hi fi shop?

    >> Why not connect your computer (audio in jack) to your stereo (audio out
    >> jack) and store your music on the hard drive? Or do you require a small
    >> device for portability?
    >>
    >> Incidentally if you use a compressed format for your music files then
    >> expect degradation in the sound quality.
    >>

    > Or not, ,,, dumbfuck.

    I will rephrase: Incidentally if you use a *lossy* compressed format for
    your music files then expect degradation in the sound quality.

    Happy now?
    --
    pcbuilder98
    p.cbuilder98, Dec 4, 2007
  9. michael k

    michael k Guest

    "ded" <> wrote in message >
    > There are a whole pile of factors to consider.
    > Is your laptop equipped with the line-out to connect to the Nad amp -
    > most laptops will have this, but you are reliant on the quality of the
    > soundchip that the laptop has. Some are good, some OK, many awful.
    > Then there is the size/capacity of the laptops HD, you could of course
    > connect a larger external USB drive for music storage, but thats not
    > portable.
    > With your CD's, it is straightforward ripping them to the HD, but if
    > you rip as CDA (as the original cd's) or as a WAV, then they will
    > rapidly consume HD space.
    > There are numerous compression techniques, the obvious two being
    > MP3 or WMA, the second can be performed by WMP.
    > As MP3 or WMA files they can then be easily transferrred to portable
    > pocket devices etc. (If that is required)
    > There are varying levels of compression that can be applied, the more
    > compression the smaller the file size, the more content you can fit, but
    > the price for *excessive* compression is discernable sonic degradation.
    > It's trial and error, connect your laptops line-out to the amp, load a CD
    > and play, if it sounds OK, then try ripping the CD to HD and apply a
    > compression technique such as WMA (Win Media player can do this
    > and just try differing compression levels to see what the effect is.)

    Thanks. I think that with the small fortune that I spent on the speakers I
    should stick with my cd's.

    michael k, Dec 4, 2007