    Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
    thanks
    Roy
    keymaster, Mar 17, 2007

  2. In article <45fb42f1$0$28970$>,
    keymaster <roy@roy-macdonald*remove*.co.uk> wrote:
    >Hi
    >Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
    >thanks

    You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
    royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
    can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.

    Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
    hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO ...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Mar 17, 2007

  3. keymaster

    Jono Guest

    Gordon Henderson formulated on Saturday :
    > In article <45fb42f1$0$28970$>,
    > keymaster <roy@roy-macdonald*remove*.co.uk> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
    >> thanks

    > You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
    > royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
    > can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.
    >
    > Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
    > hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO ...
    >
    > Gordon

    It can be quite effective. Except - it consumes bandwidth.

    My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
    further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
    internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the
    way.
    Jono, Mar 17, 2007
  4. keymaster

    keymaster Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon Henderson formulated on Saturday :
    >> In article <45fb42f1$0$28970$>,
    >> keymaster <roy@roy-macdonald*remove*.co.uk> wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or
    >>> cheap?
    >>> thanks

    >> You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
    >> royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
    >> can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.
    >>
    >> Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
    >> hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO
    >>
    >> Gordon

    > It can be quite effective. Except - it consumes bandwidth.
    >
    > My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
    > further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
    > internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the way.

    Hi
    ah, thanks - while I was with Voipfone they had me add a line in the menu
    for music on hold server which was something like Snom.moh.com or something.
    In my voip ignorance I added this, but didnt work with my present provider.
    thanks again
    Roy
    keymaster, Mar 17, 2007
  5. keymaster wrote:

    > Hi
    > ah, thanks - while I was with Voipfone they had me add a line in the menu
    > for music on hold server which was something like Snom.moh.com or something.
    > In my voip ignorance I added this, but didnt work with my present provider.
    > thanks again
    > Roy

    I stumbled across voipfone music on hold accidentally when trying to
    transfer calls internally.
    As soon as I hit the R button on the phone I was greeted by Music.
    I presume it was from voipfone and not my dect phone.

    Pete
    Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk, Mar 17, 2007
  6. keymaster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:55:26 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Gordon Henderson formulated on Saturday :
    >> In article <45fb42f1$0$28970$>,
    >> keymaster <roy@roy-macdonald*remove*.co.uk> wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> Is there such a thing as a music on hold server out there for free or cheap?
    >>> thanks

    >> You can download astrerisk and get some mp3/gsm/wav files which are
    >> royalty free and serve them yourself, or if you look hard enough you
    >> can find others on the 'net that are royalty free.
    >>
    >> Connecting (over the internet?) to a server which is streaming music on
    >> hold, while not am impossibility to do is an "interesting concept" IMO ...
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >It can be quite effective. Except - it consumes bandwidth.
    >
    >My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
    >further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
    >internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the
    >way.

    Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 17, 2007
  7. keymaster

    Jono Guest

    Brian A formulated on Saturday :

    > Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

    I have no idea. What's Pandora?
    Jono, Mar 17, 2007
  8. keymaster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:39:07 GMT, Jono <>
    wrote:

    >Brian A formulated on Saturday :
    >
    >> Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?
    >>

    >I have no idea. What's Pandora?

    http://www.pandora.com
    It is a personal radio system. You can have several personal channels
    to suit your mood.
    You enter either the title of some music or an Artist that you like.
    It will start to play music of a similar type. You can add more titles
    and artists and give the 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' to any
    particular tune that is played. It learns your musical taste.
    So, for example: I enter 'Sandstorm' - it asks me if that is Sandstorm
    by Darude - I say yes and it saves that. Then I enter 'Paul Van Dyk'
    and it adds that ...and so on. Eventually you'll hear the tunes you
    have entered but among others that it thinks are similar.
    The music is originally evaluated by professional musicians - not a
    computer.
    You can try it out without joining but if you like it you have to
    register - it is free but you have to be in the U.S.... google a
    suitable U.S. Zip Code and enter it.
    Enjoy it while you can...the much hated RIAA are set to charge on line
    radio stations so much that many will have to close - Pandora might be
    included.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 17, 2007
  9. keymaster

    Ian Smith Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

    Slim Devices were advertising Pandora a few months ago, but I can't
    find whether it was the Squeezebox player that connects directly or
    through Slimserver.

    Slimserver will stream BBC (using AlienBBC plugin), RadioIO,
    Live365, Shoutcast and Radiotime. You can also enter any URL to
    'tune' a new station.

    The answer is - try it. It is a free download and you can use
    Softsqueeze as a player (also a free download).

    regards, Ian
    Ian Smith, Mar 18, 2007
  10. keymaster

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:38:09 +0000, Ian Smith
    <4ward.com> wrote:

    >Brian A wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jono, Can you use the Slim server software to stream Pandora?

    >Slim Devices were advertising Pandora a few months ago, but I can't
    >find whether it was the Squeezebox player that connects directly or
    >through Slimserver.
    >
    >Slimserver will stream BBC (using AlienBBC plugin), RadioIO,
    >Live365, Shoutcast and Radiotime. You can also enter any URL to
    >'tune' a new station.
    >
    >The answer is - try it. It is a free download and you can use
    >Softsqueeze as a player (also a free download).
    >
    >regards, Ian

    Thanks for the info. Ian. All this is a long way off topic I know.
    I was hoping I might be able to stream Pandora and pick it up in a
    browser - I have a Netgem iPlayer, too much to hope for I think, - if
    you've not seen the iPlayer it is a DTT Set Top Box that can link to
    the Net and display Web Pages and play MP3s from the Net. I have
    streamed my own music, from my computer, successfully but not anything
    like Pandora. Currently I'm looking into MythTV. If anyone reading
    this wants to know about that watch Dan and Kevin's video on it at
    http://www.revision3.com/systm
    but it ain't as easy as they make out.
    Also some videos on youtube.com

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    Brian A, Mar 18, 2007
  11. keymaster

    alexd Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
    > further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
    > internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the
    > way.

    I don't suppose you've managed to get CallerID to display on your slimp3,
    have you?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    22:27:23 up 25 days, 2:40, 2 users, load average: 0.45, 0.27, 0.34
    alexd, Mar 19, 2007
  12. keymaster

    Jono Guest

    alexd laid this down on his screen :
    > Jono wrote:
    >
    >> My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
    >> further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
    >> internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the
    >> way.

    > I don't suppose you've managed to get CallerID to display on your slimp3,
    > have you?

    That's an interesting question. I remember reading an article about it
    /ages/ ago.....I think. Never got around to it.

    I might have a look at doing it, though - especially as my SlimServer
    now runs on the same box as Asterisk.
    Jono, Mar 19, 2007
  13. keymaster

    alexd Guest

    Jono wrote:

    > alexd laid this down on his screen :
    >> Jono wrote:
    >>
    >>> My asterisk server can use my Slim Server to play BGM/MOH. One step
    >>> further is to use the Slim Server to play streaming music over the
    >>> internet. You don't need a Slim Player to use the Slim Server, by the
    >>> way.

    >> I don't suppose you've managed to get CallerID to display on your slimp3,
    >> have you?

    > That's an interesting question. I remember reading an article about it
    > /ages/ ago.....I think. Never got around to it.
    >
    > I might have a look at doing it, though - especially as my SlimServer
    > now runs on the same box as Asterisk.

    Same here - it's more novelty value than anything else, as a phone is right
    next to the slimp3 :-S

    http://blog.gramels.info/blog/archi...n-a-squeezebox-slimp3-using-a-slimserver.html

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:23:11 up 26 days, 1:36, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.20, 0.24
    alexd, Mar 20, 2007
  14. keymaster

    Jono Guest

    alexd submitted this idea :
    > Jono wrote:
    >
    >> alexd laid this down on his screen :

    >>> I don't suppose you've managed to get CallerID to display on your slimp3,
    >>> have you?

    >> That's an interesting question. I remember reading an article about it
    >> /ages/ ago.....I think. Never got around to it.
    >>
    >> I might have a look at doing it, though - especially as my SlimServer
    >> now runs on the same box as Asterisk.

    > Same here - it's more novelty value than anything else, as a phone is right
    > next to the slimp3 :-S
    >
    > http://blog.gramels.info/blog/archi...n-a-squeezebox-slimp3-using-a-slimserver.html

    That's the one......however, how the chuffin' 'eck do you "copy the
    script"? When I try, I end up with it all on one line!
    Jono, Mar 20, 2007