Music Education With Linux Sound Tools

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TechNews, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. TechNews

    TechNews Guest

    Linux Style: Music Education With Linux Sound Tools
    Dave Phillips June 03 2004

    Whatever you play, make your music lessons and practice sessions more
    productive with these music learning tools.

    [...]

    ... For MP3 play I use the outstanding XMMS, while for playing CDs I
    prefer Ti Kan's Xmcd. I also have occasion to burn discs for students,
    which is no problem with the Gcombust front-end for the fantastic
    cdrecord program.

    ... I can use Mike Oliphant's GRip software to grab the needed track and
    convert it to WAV. Then I can load the WAV file into the Snd soundfile
    editor and use its realtime time-stretching and looping capabilities to
    help me through the tough passage. ..

    ... Tom Cato Amundsen's great Solfege actually turns ear-training
    exercises into an enjoyable game, though I must be quick to add that
    Solfege is a very serious tool ..

    ... my favorite tool for this job is Aaron Lav's RhythmLab. If a student
    has problems playing a difficult rhythm I can program RhythmLab to play
    the rhythm at a slower tempo until the student can comprehend and play
    it in time ..

    [...]

    Instrument tuners abound for Linux, but I use the extremely minimal
    xtune, a guitar-only tuner. Xtune provides a simple sine wave playback
    at the pitch for each string, making it very quick and easy to tune the
    guitar ..

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7606&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
    http://snipurl.com/6uh7

    --