    the case). What size really are the songs then?

    I am using Roxio Easy CDCreator. Should I use track at once, or disc at
    once?(I guess I dont need the 2 secs gap)

    Developwebsites, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Developwebsites

    Thor Guest

    "Developwebsites" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've burned lots of data cd-rs, but never music.
    > Is there a difference between music and data cd-rs?

    If you are asking in terms of how the discs are burned, yes. The format by
    which the data is recorded on the disc is different from a "data" CD. Music
    CDs use a format called "redbook" audio.

    > Am I correct that cd players cant read folders? So I cant
    > have Beatles, Hendrix, Led Zep folders on the music cd?

    No. The redbook audio format used by audio CD players does not support
    "folders". However, if your CD or DVD player supports MP3 playback, then you
    can burn MP3 files to the disc (you would make a "data" CD in that case
    because MP3 files are treated as discreet data files, not redbook audio
    tracks) , put them into folders, etc, and then the CD player usually has
    some way of navigating the folders.

    > I have copied from a cd all the songs to the hd.
    > All files are cda and 1kb each, playable by the Windows Media Player

    You didn't actually copy the data. You copied shortcuts to the tracks on the
    drive.

    > from the CD _only_ it would appear. How do I play them from the hd?
    > If the cd-r is 700mb, thats 700k songs on a single cd!(But, thats probably
    > not
    > the case). What size really are the songs then?

    In their native uncompressed form, the average 3-4 minute song equals
    roughly 35-40MB of data. In order to get the data to your harddrive, you
    need to either "rip" the data to your drive using a CD ripping program, or
    use your CD burning program to create an "image" file of the disc on your
    drive, which you can then use top make multiple burned copies, OR, just use
    the "copy CD" option in your CD burning software. It will do the rest. If
    you convert them to MP3, that can compress them down to 4 or 5 MB each song
    (typically with some slight quality loss). In that format, you can store
    several hours of music on one disc, but your playback options may be more
    limited if you don't have any stand alone CD or DVD players capable of
    reading an MP3 file. Most people are stuck only playing those discs on their
    computer.

    > I am using Roxio Easy CDCreator. Should I use track at once, or disc at
    > once?(I guess I dont need the 2 secs gap)

    whatever you prefer. Either will work fine in most cases.

    Thor, Oct 28, 2004