    which isnt a possibility since she doesn't have any cable coming in to the
    building

    Any thoughts? Other than cable or dsl?

    Rich Lehman, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Rich Lehman

    Lem Guest

    Rich Lehman wrote:

    > Question for all. My sister lives in san francisco and accesses the Internet
    > thru the cit provided wif broadband, but she says she has poor reception in
    > her apartment and that she needs to use her laptop next to a window for
    > reception and its a tad flakey there, but that's free, why gripe?
    >
    > Anyway. Since it obviously uses the same frequency as laptops use for the
    > wifi connection I was wondering if it is possible to use a wireless repeater
    > in her home and rebroadcast so she can actually use the Muni WiFi
    >
    > I have seen Airlink with a wireless repeater but I noticed on the
    > connections for the back that it appears you need to plug ethernet into it,
    > which isnt a possibility since she doesn't have any cable coming in to the
    > building
    >
    > Any thoughts? Other than cable or dsl?

    She might have better results with a high gain antenna. This may not be easy if
    her laptop has built-in wireless rather than a wireless PCMCIA card.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wifi high gain

    WiFi repeaters can be used, but cut the bandwidth in half. This is an old
    article, but is, I think, still valid.
    http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1571601 Also see
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    In addition, the City of SF might have something to say about rebroadcasting its
    signal, and might in fact shut down the repeater.

    Lem, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Hi,

    I have the AirLink AP311W Universal Wireless Repeater.

    You may be able to use this device like you wish.

    In Silicon Valley "MetroFI-Free" offers free internet using 802.11b.

    In San Francisco also.

    The AP311W is NOT recommended!

    It is a low power device. You will have better service with a high power
    device. A stronger antenna may also be necessary.

    When you install the AP311W you are adding another node to their network
    that ANYONE can use.

    The only control you have over the AP311W is the power switch. If when you
    turn power on and your laptop is the closest and most powerful wireless
    signal you may be able to use it if you are the first.

    A firmware upgrade may be possible to allow only your self to use it. I do
    not know if AirLink is working on this. I will need this within a month
    myself.

    The Ethernet connection is for configuration only.

    That is really not needed as there is another way to configure the AP311W
    using IE.

    Other devices may allow more control.

    The streetlight pole type of ISP service is so new that manufactures have
    not yet designed devices to use with it.

    The devices that MetroFI-Free is suggesting currently do not include any
    bridge type devices.

    http://www.metrofi.com/faq_adapter.html

    For some of the fun I have had and are having see this thread:

    Stephen H. Fischer

    Stephen H. Fischer, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Rich Lehman

    William Guest

    Apple's Airport Express can be configured as a wireless repeater. It's
    small and simply plugs into an outlet. It could even be plugged into an
    extesion cord and moved around for best results -- even suspended from a
    broom handle out the window! Works with PCs as well as Macs.

    William, Apr 4, 2006