    unless I use a real email address :-(

    Any way around this?

    TIA
    John Stubbs, Sep 27, 2003

  2. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    John Stubbs wrote:

    > I have read here how you should mung your email address when
    > using newsgroups.
    >
    > I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I
    > cannot post unless I use a real email address :-(
    >
    > Any way around this?
    >
    > TIA

    Read their FAQ

    http://news.individual.net/faq.html#5.3
    Boomer, Sep 27, 2003

  3. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    John wrote:

    > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    > newsgroups.

    > I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
    > unless I use a real email address :-(

    > Any way around this?

    > TIA

    It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.
    No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.
    Since that is a legit addy and they get spam reports by the millions, who
    cares?
    Put your tax dollars to work for you.
    Richard, Sep 27, 2003
  4. John Stubbs

    Guest Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:52:30 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >
    > > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    >> newsgroups.

    >> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
    >> unless I use a real email address :-(

    >> Any way around this?

    >> TIA

    >It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.
    >No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.

    Wanna make a bet? I'm sure at least a few who use address harvesting
    software to grab addresses off Usenet posts will now bw sending spam
    there, thanks to you.

    :)

    Guest, Sep 27, 2003
  5. This is the Flibbydabby Dee Service of the BBC, & on Sat, 27 Sep 2003
    10:47:07 +0000, reanimator uttered this:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:52:30 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >
    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >> > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    >>> newsgroups.

    >>> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
    >>> unless I use a real email address :-(

    >>> Any way around this?

    >>> TIA

    >>It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.
    >>No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.

    > Wanna make a bet? I'm sure at least a few who use address harvesting
    > software to grab addresses off Usenet posts will now bw sending spam
    > there, thanks to you.
    >
    > :)

    JHC, no wonder they call him Richard the St00pid.

    "furrfu"
    William Poaster, Sep 27, 2003
  6. John Stubbs

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:52:30 -0500, Richard wrote:
    > John wrote:
    >
    > > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    >> newsgroups.

    >> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
    >> unless I use a real email address :-(

    >> Any way around this?

    >> TIA

    > It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.

    It's not 'legitimate' to use an email address owned by someone else,
    St00pid.
    [snip rest of retarded post]

    Troll-o-meter: "Richard" = Richard Bullis; Category = Kook
    -----------------------
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    -----------------------
    /\

    Don't listen to "Richard". If there is ever any truth to what
    he says it is for the same reason a broken clock is correct twice a day.

    ---*For More Information On NetKook Richard Bullis*---
    http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/

    "Why can't somebody give us a list of things that everybody thinks and
    nobody says, and another list of things that everybody says and nobody
    thinks?" --Oliver Wendall Holmes
    Jimchip, Sep 27, 2003
  7. John Stubbs

    anthonyberet Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message news:...
    > John wrote:
    >
    > > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    > > newsgroups.

    > > I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
    > > unless I use a real email address :-(

    > > Any way around this?

    > > TIA

    > It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.
    > No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.
    > Since that is a legit addy and they get spam reports by the millions, who
    > cares?
    > Put your tax dollars to work for you.

    The problem with that is that if anyone innocently tries to mail you, when
    you have that reply address, it could have 3 negative results. Firstly, the
    legitimate mail could be treated as spam, wasting the user's ISP's time.
    Secondly, if may be weeded out by staff at wasting their time.
    Thirdly of course, it means the sending user might not realise their mail
    has not got to you.
    Why not use a legitimate, but throw-away email address, and use filtration
    to screen out the spam? -This is what I do, and I find it 100% effective,
    and you could still mail me, if you wished.
    bounce.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:
    http://vote.sparklit.com/web_poll.spark/780772
    anthonyberet
    anthonyberet, Sep 27, 2003
  8. John Stubbs

    John Guest

    >Why not use a legitimate, but throw-away email address, and use filtration
    >to screen out the spam? -This is what I do, and I find it 100% effective,
    >and you could still mail me, if you wished.

    Where do you get this throw away address?

    Is it a Yahoo address or something?
    John, Sep 27, 2003
  9. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:52:30 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    >> John wrote:

    >> > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    >>> newsgroups.

    >>> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot
    >>> post
    >>> unless I use a real email address :-(

    >>> Any way around this?

    >>> TIA

    >>It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.
    >>No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.

    > Wanna make a bet? I'm sure at least a few who use address harvesting
    > software to grab addresses off Usenet posts will now bw sending spam
    > there, thanks to you.

    Ahhhhh, ain't it a shame? do you know what that addy is? It's where you send
    spam reports to, dipshit.
    UCE= "Unsolicited Commercial E-mail".
    So a spammer sends mail there. Saves me the trouble of doing it.
    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  10. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    Jimchip wrote:

    > On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:52:30 -0500, Richard wrote:
    >> John wrote:

    >> > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    >>> newsgroups.

    >>> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot
    >>> post
    >>> unless I use a real email address :-(

    >>> Any way around this?

    >>> TIA

    >> It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.

    > It's not 'legitimate' to use an email address owned by someone else,
    > St00pid.
    > [snip rest of retarded post]

    In this particular case, it is legitimate to use it.
    Check with your ISP and news service, I'll bet they allow it.
    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  11. John Stubbs

    Richard Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:

    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    >> John wrote:

    >> > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    >> > newsgroups.

    >> > I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot

    >> post
    >> > unless I use a real email address :-(

    >> > Any way around this?

    >> > TIA

    >> It's also legitimate to use as a spam trap.
    >> No spammer in his right mind is gonna send his stuff there.
    >> Since that is a legit addy and they get spam reports by the millions,
    >> who
    >> cares?
    >> Put your tax dollars to work for you.

    > The problem with that is that if anyone innocently tries to mail you,
    > when
    > you have that reply address, it could have 3 negative results.
    > Firstly, the
    > legitimate mail could be treated as spam, wasting the user's ISP's
    > time.
    > Secondly, if may be weeded out by staff at wasting their
    > time.
    > Thirdly of course, it means the sending user might not realise their
    > mail
    > has not got to you.
    > Why not use a legitimate, but throw-away email address, and use
    > filtration
    > to screen out the spam? -This is what I do, and I find it 100%
    > effective,
    > and you could still mail me, if you wished.

    The spammer is wasting my time by sending me the crap I don't want.
    If anybody replies to THAT addy thinking it actually is a person's personal
    addy, they need some help.
    No you're not wasting government employee time by somebody sending personal
    mail to it because that is their job and that's what they get paid for.
    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  12. John Stubbs

    Sharon Guest

    John Stubbs wrote:

    > I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    > newsgroups.
    >
    > I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
    > unless I use a real email address :-(
    >
    > Any way around this?
    >
    > TIA

    I have the same news server and had the same problem. Someone
    recommended a privacy.net email address to use for newsgroups and that
    works. Here's the link: http://www.privacy.net/email/
    See my email address on here...basically you just pick a number and
    insert it and start using it. It works like a charm.

    Good Luck,
    Sharon
    Sharon, Sep 28, 2003
  13. John Stubbs

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On 26 Sep 2003 22:23:56 -0700, (John Stubbs)
    wrote:

    >I have read here how you should mung your email address when using
    >newsgroups.
    >
    >I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I cannot post
    >unless I use a real email address :-(
    >
    >Any way around this?

    Set your e-mail address to use something that is valid like
    The domain is valid even if the address
    isn't.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Sep 28, 2003
  14. John Stubbs

    John Guest

    >.basically you just pick a number and
    >insert it and start using it. It works like a charm.

    Can you pick ANY number and use with that address?
    John, Sep 28, 2003
  15. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    Boomer, Sep 28, 2003
  16. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    [ Doc Jeff ] wrote:

    > On 26 Sep 2003 22:23:56 -0700, (John
    > Stubbs) wrote:
    >
    >>I have read here how you should mung your email address when
    >>using newsgroups.
    >>
    >>I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I
    >>cannot post unless I use a real email address :-(
    >>
    >>Any way around this?

    > Set your e-mail address to use something that is valid like
    > The domain is valid even if the address
    > isn't.

    He would lose his account if he did that.
    Boomer, Sep 28, 2003
  17. John Stubbs

    Bri. Guest

    Boomer typed...
    > [ Doc Jeff ] wrote:
    >
    >> On 26 Sep 2003 22:23:56 -0700, (John
    >> Stubbs) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have read here how you should mung your email address when
    >>> using newsgroups.
    >>>
    >>> I have just signed up with News.CIS.DFN.DE and find that I
    >>> cannot post unless I use a real email address :-(
    >>>
    >>> Any way around this?

    >> Set your e-mail address to use something that is valid like
    >> The domain is valid even if the address
    >> isn't.
    >>

    > He would lose his account if he did that.

    [ Doc Jeff ] = TROLL

    --
    Bri.
    Bri., Sep 28, 2003
  18. John Stubbs

    John Guest

    >Did you read the link Sharon posted?
    >http://www.privacy.net/email/

    yes an it says this:

    >Note: if you receive a notice that the address cannot be used because
    >someone else already registered with that address simply add a number as the following have also been set up:

    What Im not understanding is..... can I use
    "me63401"...... a number that big? Or must i use the
    range specified above?
    John, Sep 28, 2003
  19. John wrote:
    >>Did you read the link Sharon posted?
    >>http://www.privacy.net/email/

    > yes an it says this:

    >>Note: if you receive a notice that the address cannot be used because
    >>someone else already registered with that address simply add a number as the following have also been set up:

    > What Im not understanding is..... can I use
    > "me63401"...... a number that big? Or must i use the
    > range specified above?

    Hint: "the following have...been set up".

    What do you perceive the advantage of the me63401 to be? If it's just
    a matter of "art", it's not exactly creative -- it's just a number.

    Why not just use the ones the owners tell you to use?

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    NEW 9/25/03:
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 29, 2003
  20. John Stubbs

    Boomer Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >>>Did you read the link Sharon posted?
    >>>http://www.privacy.net/email/

    >> yes an it says this:

    >>>Note: if you receive a notice that the address
    >>>cannot be used because someone else already registered with
    >>>that address simply add a number as the following have also
    >>>been set up:

    >> What Im not understanding is..... can I use
    >> "me63401"...... a number that big? Or must i use the
    >> range specified above?

    > Hint: "the following have...been set up".
    >
    > What do you perceive the advantage of the me63401 to be? If
    > it's just a matter of "art", it's not exactly creative -- it's
    > just a number.
    >
    > Why not just use the ones the owners tell you to use?

    Thanks, Blinky.
    I just got back online. I would have answered the same. I read the
    statement, at privacy.net, the same as you do.
    Boomer, Sep 29, 2003