    this? And what it might take to fix?

    Thanks in advance,
    Dave

    DL, Oct 27, 2005

  2. DL

    Unk Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:57:53 GMT, "DL" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >A problem has developed on my Pentium3 933MHz with WinXP Professional where
    >the machine will reboot each time one of the users (set up for five) chooses
    >to log off.
    >The machine now consistently reboots. Can anybody suggest what might cause
    >this? And what it might take to fix?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Dave

    Windows XP has a default setting to "Restart on failure"

    Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.
    Expand the Event Viewer category and look through each of the three
    sub-categories for the red flagged error records. The date and time
    of these should correspond to your restarts. Double click on an
    error record to see the details of the error.

    You can change this restart behavior if you want.
    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced
    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
    to open the Startup and Recovery window.
    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change the computer will no longer restart when a system
    failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
    Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
    a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch). The contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    as to the underlying cause of the problem.

    Unk, Oct 27, 2005

  3. DL

    DL Guest

    Many thanks. I don't know how I would've ever figured that one out. I sure
    don't want the restarts so I'll see how well this works for a while. Thanks
    again.

    Dave

    DL, Oct 27, 2005
  4. DL