  1. Stupid question - is it possible to run a Multipoint-PPP on a PPPoE link
    in order to bundle multiple DSL lines?

    Tnx, -gg

    Garry Glendown, Jan 28, 2005

  2. Garry Glendown

    Bob Guest

    Nope. The DSL provider would have to run MLPPP with you.

    -Rob

    Bob, Jan 28, 2005

  3. Bob wrote:
    > Nope. The DSL provider would have to run MLPPP with you.

    I'm the DSL provider, too ... ;)

    Garry Glendown, Jan 28, 2005
  4. Garry Glendown <> wrote:

    Hi Garry,

    > Bob wrote:
    >> Nope. The DSL provider would have to run MLPPP with you.

    > I'm the DSL provider, too ... ;)

    see the recent discussion in the German newsgroup dcii.

    --
    Bjoern A. Zeeb email address in header

    Bjoern A. Zeeb, Jan 28, 2005
  5. On 28.01.2005 18:07 Garry Glendown wrote

    > Stupid question - is it possible to run a Multipoint-PPP on a PPPoE link
    > in order to bundle multiple DSL lines?

    Sorry ... only in German. But it should work for you, Garry.
    http://www.brainworks.de/Site/hersteller/netopia/dokumente/netopia_bonding.pdf

    Arnold
    btw: I guess the correct terminus is "multilink ppp". It's always two
    points ...

    Arnold Nipper, Jan 28, 2005
  6. Garry Glendown

    Guest

    Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
    > Garry Glendown <> wrote:
    >
    > Hi Garry,
    >

    >>Bob wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nope. The DSL provider would have to run MLPPP with you.

    >>I'm the DSL provider, too ... ;)

    > see the recent discussion in the German newsgroup dcii.

    Well, I got it working, kind of ... I have multiple l2tp dialins to our
    router up, using MPP as protocol in Radius, using "ppp multilink" on the
    dialer profile ... here's the dialer config:

    interface Dialer2
    mtu 1492
    bandwidth 2048
    ip address negotiated previous
    ip load-sharing per-packet
    encapsulation ppp
    ip tcp adjust-mss 1416
    no ip mroute-cache
    dialer pool 2
    dialer-group 2
    tag-switching mtu 1452
    tag-switching ip
    ppp authentication chap pap callin dsldialin
    ppp chap hostname x
    ppp chap password x
    ppp pap sent-username x password x
    ppp multilink

    I have no packet loss, BGP comes up just fine, but somehow, only one
    channel is mainly used, and even multiple downloads from different
    destinations don't give me the expected bandwidth ...

    Here's the radius profile I use,

    x Auth-Type == Local, Password == "x"
    Session-Timeout := `%{expr:86400 - ((%l - 3600) %% 86400)}`,
    Service-Type := Framed-User,
    Framed-IP-Address := 212.218.63.18,
    Framed-Netmask := 255.255.255.252,
    Framed-Protocol := MPP,
    Cisco-Avpair -= "lcp:interface-config",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=descr 3M ADSL Backup",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=ip unnumbered lo1",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=tag-switching ip",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=mtu 1492",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=bandwidth 3072",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=tag-switching mtu 1452",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=ip tcp adjust-mss 1412",
    Cisco-Avpair += "lcp:interface-config=no ip mroute-cache"

    "show int viXX conf" on the l2tp dialin router results in this:

    Virtual-Access18 is an VPDN link (sub)interface

    Derived configuration : 317 bytes
    !
    interface Virtual-Access18
    description 3M ADSL Backup
    mtu 1492
    bandwidth 3072
    ip unnumbered Loopback1
    ip tcp adjust-mss 1412
    timeout absolute 905 54
    tag-switching mtu 1452
    tag-switching ip
    peer default ip address pool dsl-pool
    keepalive 60
    down-when-looped
    ppp authentication chap pap callin
    end

    Show int dia2 on the dial-out router gives me this when connected:

    Dialer2 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing)
    Hardware is Unknown
    Internet address is 1.2.3.2/32
    MTU 1492 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
    DTR is pulsed for 1 seconds on reset
    Interface is bound to Vi24
    Interface is bound to Vi23
    Last input never, output never, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:00:17
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/0/256 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 1536 kilobits/sec
    220 packets input, 201559 bytes
    202 packets output, 204567 bytes
    Bound to:
    Virtual-Access24 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is Virtual Access interface
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 100000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation PPP, LCP Open, multilink Closed
    Listen: CDPCP
    Open: TAGCP, IPCP
    PPPoE vaccess, cloned from Dialer2, loopback not set
    Interface is bound to Di2 (Encapsulation PPP)
    Last input 00:00:02, output never, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:00:17
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    211 packets input, 201033 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    202 packets output, 204567 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 carrier transitions
    Bound to:
    Virtual-Access23 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is Virtual Access interface
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 2048 Kbit, DLY 100000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation PPP, LCP Open, multilink Closed
    Listen: CDPCP
    Open: TAGCP, IPCP
    PPPoE vaccess, cloned from Dialer2, loopback not set
    Interface is bound to Di2 (Encapsulation PPP)
    Last input 00:00:00, output never, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:00:19
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: fifo
    Output queue: 0/40 (size/max)
    10 packets input, 604 bytes, 0 no buffer
    0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
    0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns
    0 carrier transitions

    while both channels show some traffic, all my ping traffic ends up on
    one link ... Also, wondering about the "multilink" not showing up on the
    other side's Virtual interface config, while on the dialout-router, it
    is shown:

    #show int vi23 conf
    Virtual-Access23 is a PPP over Ethernet link (sub)interface

    Derived configuration : 346 bytes
    !
    interface Virtual-Access23
    no ip address
    pulse-time 0
    ppp authentication chap pap callin tonline
    ppp chap hostname fd-gw1#
    ppp chap password 7 1515021E057B7A21
    ppp pap sent-username fd-gw1# password 7
    13021E000A5D552F
    ppp multilink
    end

    #show int vi24 conf
    Virtual-Access24 is a PPP over Ethernet link (sub)interface

    Derived configuration : 346 bytes
    !
    interface Virtual-Access24
    no ip address
    pulse-time 0
    ppp authentication chap pap callin tonline
    ppp chap hostname fd-gw1#
    ppp chap password 7 1515021E057B7A21
    ppp pap sent-username fd-gw1# password 7
    13021E000A5D552F
    ppp multilink
    end

    Any idea? Help appreciated ...

    -gg

    , Feb 4, 2005
  7. > ppp chap password 7 1515021E057B7A21

    P.S. - passwords changed already ;)) (d@mn, missed that after c&p)

    Garry Glendown, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Garry Glendown

    Bob Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 11:08:45 +0100, wrote:

    >Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
    >> Garry Glendown <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi Garry,

    >>>I'm the DSL provider, too ... ;)

    I would be interested to know how (or why) you came up with the
    various MTU settings in your config. I understand the 1492 for DSL,
    and a respective MSS for that would be 1452. Just curious....

    -Bob

    Bob, Feb 4, 2005
  9. > I would be interested to know how (or why) you came up with the
    > various MTU settings in your config. I understand the 1492 for DSL,
    > and a respective MSS for that would be 1452. Just curious....

    Oops --- a left-over from a test via GRE tunnel ... should read 1452,
    too ... didn't change anything though ... (as would be expected ...)

    -gg

    Garry Glendown, Feb 4, 2005
  10. Garry Glendown

    Bob Guest

    Ahhh... Thanks.

    Bob, Feb 4, 2005
  11. Re: Multilink PPP on PPPoE link?

    wrote:
    > I have no packet loss, BGP comes up just fine, but somehow, only one
    > channel is mainly used, and even multiple downloads from different
    > destinations don't give me the expected bandwidth ...

    Nobody?

    Garry Glendown, Feb 7, 2005
  12. Garry Glendown

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    Re: Multilink PPP on PPPoE link?

    In article <cu7krm$140$>, says...
    > wrote:
    > > I have no packet loss, BGP comes up just fine, but somehow, only one
    > > channel is mainly used, and even multiple downloads from different
    > > destinations don't give me the expected bandwidth ...

    > Nobody?

    How much troughput do you get? How much latency do you have to get to
    those servers? Did you tested max troughput between boxes? (ttcp might
    help)

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Feb 7, 2005
  13. Re: Multilink PPP on PPPoE link?

    Ivan Ostreš wrote:
    > In article <cu7krm$140$>, says...
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have no packet loss, BGP comes up just fine, but somehow, only one
    >>>channel is mainly used, and even multiple downloads from different
    >>>destinations don't give me the expected bandwidth ...

    >>Nobody?
    >>

    > How much troughput do you get? How much latency do you have to get to
    > those servers? Did you tested max troughput between boxes? (ttcp might
    > help)

    I'm using up to four lines w/ 3072/512kbit capacity (currently testing
    with 2-3 lines), but hardly get over the 3mbit on download. Multiple
    downloads in parallel to different targets don't help either. Download
    is internal, ping times of around 40-50ms. ttcp?

    tnx, -gg

    Garry Glendown, Feb 7, 2005
  14. Garry Glendown

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    Re: Multilink PPP on PPPoE link?

    In article <cu7sq9$4fh$>, says...

    > I'm using up to four lines w/ 3072/512kbit capacity (currently testing
    > with 2-3 lines), but hardly get over the 3mbit on download. Multiple
    > downloads in parallel to different targets don't help either. Download
    > is internal, ping times of around 40-50ms. ttcp?

    ttcp tool is available on some IOS versions (feature sets) and can help
    you to measure troughput between two routers.

    Hm...I hope you're not, but it is possible that you're hitting rfc1323
    LFN...

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Feb 7, 2005
  15. Re: Multilink PPP on PPPoE link?

    Ivan Ostreš wrote:
    > ttcp tool is available on some IOS versions (feature sets) and can help
    > you to measure troughput between two routers.

    Hm ... don't seem to be included in the two routers' IOS ...

    > Hm...I hope you're not, but it is possible that you're hitting rfc1323
    > LFN...

    shouldn't - at typical 40-50ms delay times and "only" 3mbit of
    bandwidth, I shouldn't lose that much bandwidth --- also, I would still
    see the traffic on the counters, which I don't ...

    I know that on ISDN lines multilink connections (though to our Lucent
    PRI routers) nicely load-balance over both links, without configuring
    anything special on the dialer config except for "ppp multilink". Is
    there any config option I'm missing on either side? Do the PPP
    logics/drivers differ for BRI and PPPoE? Has anybody even ever tested
    multilink-PPP over Ethernet? *gg*

    Tnx, -gg

    Garry Glendown, Feb 7, 2005