multiple workgroups with win98

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by AlanG, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. AlanG

    AlanG Guest

    I can't get a new installation to see the rest of the workgroups. It
    worked before I formatted the HD and reinstalled the OS now it's not
    seeing the other workgroups. Indeed it seems to kill the access of the
    workgroup it is assigned to other groups. Can't get it to go to
    another workgroup though.

    We have 4 workgroups. 2 each in separate office buildings connected by
    Dlink900+ bridges. The groups and networks are conncted through hubs
    in each office. The net access is through a SMC router in one office
    which also acts as the DHCP server. All the PCs are using tcp/ip with
    dynamic addressing. Gateway is the router address 192.168.2.1. Can't
    get this one machine to work like that anymore. I have to give it a
    static address to get it to see it's own workgroup but then it freezes
    the rest of the workgroup out of the rest of the network. Pinging the
    other machines from it takes an appreciable amount of time so I'm
    assuming the reason the dynamic address is not being allocated is due
    to the time lag.

    The procedure is something I've followed many times before with no
    problem. The rogue machine is a pc chips pc100 Lm741 about 4 yrs old.
    We have a few of these machines and they are fairly reliable office
    workhorses.

    I have tried using a different network adaptor but the symptoms
    remain. Tried a different cat5 cable but no luck. Tried formatting and
    reinstalling everything again :( This is something I haven't seen
    before.

    I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
    the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.

    Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?

    Alan G

    AlanG, Sep 13, 2003

  2. AlanG

    jeroen Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
    > the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.

    Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
    favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
    > Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?

    I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
    workgroup.
    This should provide some interesting reading:
    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands

    jeroen, Sep 13, 2003

  3. AlanG

    AlanG Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:11:35 +0200, jeroen <4all.nl>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
    >> the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.
    >>

    >Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
    >favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
    >> Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?
    >>

    >I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
    >workgroup.
    >This should provide some interesting reading:
    >http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm

    Thanks.

    I knew about the browse master situation. It's mentioned in my windows
    98 professional reference. Doesn't tell me that it could take up to 50
    minutes to refresh though. That is something new.

    I'll check on monday and set the machine used for faxing to browse
    master and see if that pulls the connection.

    Meanwhile, could the slow response time be the reason the machine
    isn't getting its IP address from the router?

    --
    Alan G
    "The corporate life [of society] must be

    AlanG, Sep 13, 2003
  4. AlanG

    jeroen Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:11:35 +0200, jeroen <4all.nl>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >says...
    > >>
    > >> I'm not a comms expert. I'm hired to look after databases. The rest of
    > >> the stuff is just added on and normally I can manage.
    > >>

    > >Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
    > >favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
    > >> Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can try on monday morning?
    > >>

    > >I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
    > >workgroup.
    > >This should provide some interesting reading:
    > >http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I knew about the browse master situation. It's mentioned in my windows
    > 98 professional reference. Doesn't tell me that it could take up to 50
    > minutes to refresh though. That is something new.

    That's extreme. A workgroup usually sorts it out in 20-30 minutes.
    > I'll check on monday and set the machine used for faxing to browse
    > master and see if that pulls the connection.
    >
    > Meanwhile, could the slow response time be the reason the machine
    > isn't getting its IP address from the router?

    Quite unlikely. DHCP discover packets are rather small and quite quick.

    What you could also try with this machine is make sure all your
    powermanagment settings are set to off. Both in the Bios and in windows.

    Also....

    You did change the network cable I hope?

    jeroen, Sep 14, 2003
  5. AlanG

    AlanG Guest

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:28:24 +0200, jeroen <4all.nl>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:11:35 +0200, jeroen <4all.nl>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>,
    >> >says...

    >> >Feel free to exchange emails. I could use a database guy who owes me a
    >> >favour, I'm a networking guy myself.
    >> >>
    >> >I'd say take a good look at the browse master situation in that
    >> >workgroup.
    >> >This should provide some interesting reading:
    >> >http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/bm.htm

    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> I knew about the browse master situation. It's mentioned in my windows
    >> 98 professional reference. Doesn't tell me that it could take up to 50
    >> minutes to refresh though. That is something new.
    >>

    >That's extreme. A workgroup usually sorts it out in 20-30 minutes.

    That has been my experience. Usually under 10 mins.

    >> I'll check on monday and set the machine used for faxing to browse
    >> master and see if that pulls the connection.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, could the slow response time be the reason the machine
    >> isn't getting its IP address from the router?
    >>

    >Quite unlikely. DHCP discover packets are rather small and quite quick.

    When I use winipcfg all I get is the can't connect error message

    I did manage to ping a box on the other side once then it wouldn't do
    it twice

    >What you could also try with this machine is make sure all your
    >powermanagment settings are set to off. Both in the Bios and in windows.

    Check
    I have monitor going off timed but HD on all the time.

    >Also....
    >
    >You did change the network cable I hope?

    Yes. And network card
    Same symptoms.

    It's possible it is part of a wider fault since we have had reports of
    the wireless link going down a couple of times

    I've had a thought overnight and decided to swap the box with one from
    another office that doesn't get much use. If that works ok then I'll
    know it's the box and not the cabling and/or hub. Could have done this
    yesterday but I'm not fit enough to carry a box up and down three
    flights of stairs anymore:(

    Alan G

    AlanG, Sep 14, 2003