    no cabling, and connect the printer to one of it's ports?

    Any suggestions welcomed, and apologies if this is either blatantly
    impossible or just a dumb question
    =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=, Feb 5, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Mike G Guest

    I would use a wireless print server connected to the router in the basement.

    Mike G, Feb 5, 2006

  3. It depends on the feature set of the router. If your device supports
    ethernet/wireless bridging, you should be able to do this. Eg. for an MS
    Base Station see:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814485/en-us

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Feb 5, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UG9wcGEgRWFybA==?=

    Lem Guest

    Poppa Earl wrote:

    > Here is my situation, if anyone can offer me suggestions or help, it would be
    > much appreciated. I have a wireless router in the basement I have networked
    > the Tivo and three upstairs computers and all is well. We inherited a
    > LaserJet 4000 and would like to use it as a communal printer. The printer has
    > an ethernet port. We would like to have it off by itself in a supply closet.
    > I have a spare wireless router. Is it possible to use the second router, with
    > no cabling, and connect the printer to one of it's ports?
    >
    > Any suggestions welcomed, and apologies if this is either blatantly
    > impossible or just a dumb question

    This should be possible, but it's likely more complicated than you might think.

    Because you said the printer has an ethernet port, what you probably have is an
    HP4000n. Basically, the HP4000 was available in a couple of different
    configurations, and the HP4000n was the "network" version, which came with a "HP
    Jetdirect 600N or 610 print server for Ethernet or Token Ring network
    environments" already plugged into one of the printer's two "EIO expansion
    slots." See http://tinyurl.com/czduu

    That HP plug-in print server needs to be configured, and even if you had the CD
    that came with the printer, which included the JetAdmin configuration software,
    that software has been "obsolesced" (as HP calls it). This page
    http://tinyurl.com/4l2sg includes links that may enable you to configure the
    print server that you have. Then -- if your spare router supports bridging, as
    Doug Sherman points out -- you can connect the JetDirect print server to one of
    the bridging router's ports.

    Otherwise, I'd take Mike G's advice and buy a wireless print server and ignore
    the ethernet port on your printer. You'll need one with a parallel (Centronics)
    port -- these printers were pre-USB. And I'd suggest that you get one by the
    same manufacturer as the wireless router to which it will connect.
    Lem, Feb 6, 2006
  5. Hi

    What you need to do is a form of Bridging. Most Wireless Cable/DSL Router
    can not Bridge (Of the brand name, Buffalo Tech., and Belkin, have few
    802.11g Wireless Router that can Bridge).

    This page describes few forms of bridging you might find one that would suit
    you best, http://www.ezlan.net/bridging

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 6, 2006