multiple users

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Y3VydDE5NDU=?=, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. is there a way I can see which users are online when I am on line?
    =?Utf-8?B?Y3VydDE5NDU=?=, Nov 22, 2006

  2. Hi
    There are Millions of users online every moment. Which ones you want to see?
    If you are on a specific BBS, the members that are On might be listed, and
    you can switch On a setting to show the list
    If you want to see a specific group of personal friends there has to be some
    application that looks for these specific people, like IM friends groups.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 22, 2006

  3. I am just talking abut the people on my network, home network. I know it
    sounds funny, but with kids in the house, it is nice to see who is on line.
    I know where I used to work, we could do it.

    =?Utf-8?B?Y3VydDE5NDU=?=, Nov 22, 2006
  4. Hi

    Your home network is probably the classical peer-to peer Network.

    To know who is on line you need to look at a central place that all the
    traffic flows through. The only place in regular peer-to-peer Network is
    probably the Cable/DSL Router. Most Routers have a menu that informs which
    computers are having an active IP you might be able to log to your Router
    (if you use one) and take an occasional look.

    Otherwise, it can be done by installing special "spying" software on each
    computer. The software allows you to monitor from your computer the
    activities of other computers..

    You have to take into consideration that if the users are computer savvy
    they would find ways to disable it. So, YMMV.

    Example, http://www.softactivity.com/employee-monitoring.asp

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 22, 2006
  5. Jack (MVP-Networking). <> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Your home network is probably the classical peer-to peer Network.
    >
    > To know who is on line you need to look at a central place that all the
    > traffic flows through. The only place in regular peer-to-peer Network is
    > probably the Cable/DSL Router. Most Routers have a menu that informs which
    > computers are having an active IP you might be able to log to your Router
    > (if you use one) and take an occasional look.

    This only works if a DHCP server is enabled the guest computer is set up
    to acquire its ip-address from the server.

    > Otherwise, it can be done by installing special "spying" software on each
    > computer. The software allows you to monitor from your computer the
    > activities of other computers..

    Better to connect a hub just before the cable/dsl modem and connect to
    the hub with a cable and a computer running a packet sniffer like
    Ethereal.

    > You have to take into consideration that if the users are computer savvy
    > they would find ways to disable it. So, YMMV.

    No way a with packet sniffer.
    Axel Hammerschmidt, Nov 22, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Y3VydDE5NDU=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    There is a free program called AirSnare, you might take a look at it I
    believe it will do what you want,
    http://home.comcast.net/~jay.deboer/airsnare/

    --
    David Hettel