    I presume this is a shortcoming of my hardware. I have an Amd Athlon
    xp2000+ cpu, 386mb sdram, 40gb hd, and a basic graphics card. Is one of
    these to blame, or something else?

    P T, Nov 25, 2006

  2. P T

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I find when I have several tabs open, my computer gets balky: slow
    > response, slow mouse movements, etc. The effect is more pronounced on
    > pages with large images.
    >
    > I presume this is a shortcoming of my hardware. I have an Amd Athlon
    > xp2000+ cpu, 386mb sdram, 40gb hd, and a basic graphics card. Is one of
    > these to blame, or something else?

    I'd look at adding more RAM. I have 1GB RAM, and I frequently have 3
    separate Firefox windows open with roughly 10 open tabs in each window.
    In such cases, it's not at all uncommon for FF to use close to 300MB of
    memory (I'm still running 1.5.0.8).

    I doubt your CPU is the issue - I have an Athlon XP1700+ and have never
    noticed any performance issues like the ones you're describing.
    Depending on how basic your graphics card is, you might want to think
    about upgrading that as well - as long as you're not a gamer, you should
    be able to get a perfectly serviceable graphics card with a decent
    chipset/onboard memory for $50-100.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Nov 25, 2006

  3. P T

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:11:12 -0600, in message <>,
    P T wrote:

    > I find when I have several tabs open, my computer gets balky: slow
    > response, slow mouse movements, etc. The effect is more pronounced on
    > pages with large images.
    >
    > I presume this is a shortcoming of my hardware. I have an Amd Athlon
    > xp2000+ cpu, 386mb sdram, 40gb hd, and a basic graphics card. Is one of
    > these to blame, or something else?

    Do you have Flash ads in each of those multiple tabs?
    I find that several tabs with flash ads can use 100% of a 1500MHz CPU.
    If the several tabs all have static content then no problem.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    30 days to the summer solstice festival

    Ralph Fox, Nov 25, 2006
  4. On 11/24/2006 06:11 PM, P T wrote:
    > I find when I have several tabs open, my computer gets balky: slow
    > response, slow mouse movements, etc. The effect is more pronounced on
    > pages with large images.
    >
    > I presume this is a shortcoming of my hardware. I have an Amd Athlon
    > xp2000+ cpu, 386mb sdram, 40gb hd, and a basic graphics card. Is one of
    > these to blame, or something else?

    This doesn't happen when I have multiple tabs open, but I don't have
    flash installed, and flash sucks much CPU power.

    Mumia W. (reading news), Nov 25, 2006
  5. P T

    Vangard Guest

    > I'd look at adding more RAM. I have 1GB RAM, and I frequently have 3
    > separate Firefox windows open with roughly 10 open tabs in each window.
    > In such cases, it's not at all uncommon for FF to use close to 300MB of
    > memory (I'm still running 1.5.0.8).

    Why do you have all those tabs open at the same time???

    Vangard, Nov 25, 2006
  6. P T

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <ek92dr$pth$>, says...

    > > I'd look at adding more RAM. I have 1GB RAM, and I frequently have 3
    > > separate Firefox windows open with roughly 10 open tabs in each window.
    > > In such cases, it's not at all uncommon for FF to use close to 300MB of
    > > memory (I'm still running 1.5.0.8).

    > Why do you have all those tabs open at the same time???

    I am almost always multitasking on a variety of things, and it's not
    uncommon for me to have FF running continuously for several days to a
    week before restarting it when it starts to get a bit sluggish. Easier
    to open a new tab than it is to close one containing something I'm not
    quite done with.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Nov 26, 2006
  7. P T

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Vangard wrote:
    >> I'd look at adding more RAM. I have 1GB RAM, and I frequently have 3
    >> separate Firefox windows open with roughly 10 open tabs in each
    >> window. In such cases, it's not at all uncommon for FF to use close to
    >> 300MB of memory (I'm still running 1.5.0.8).

    > Why do you have all those tabs open at the same time???

    I keep seeing these questions here. And it's a bit annoying. Not
    aggravating, just a tad suppositional. Does anyone ask you why you run
    Word and Excel at the same time? Or your OS and one other program (hey,
    that's multi-tasking too, ya know?) Or your calendar program and your
    email pgm together? Or any other combination of 2 or 14 things? Hey!
    People are different. We have a tool (a computer) that is good at doing
    many things at once. What's the deal? He runs what he runs because he
    wants to - and *can*. Sheesh.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net