    the Inbox affect the speed at which email is being received if filters
    are being used?

    CSB

    Beaver472, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Beaver472

    Peng Guest

    I had at one time many subfolders of the Inbox (well, only five or six
    direct subfolders), and it worked quite fast. But then I got yelled at
    and told it would make my computer catch fire and that I would be
    shunned from the Mozilla newsgroups if I had subfolders of the Inbox.
    :( So I spent _hours_ (Thunderbird just loved spending huge amounts of
    time doing almost nothing; if it had wanted to work quickly, it could
    have finished in a few minutes, but NOOOO) moving everything to a
    folder called "Main" on the same level as the Inbox folder. I don't
    like it as much, but apparently it's a big no-no to have subfolders in
    the Inbox. :\

    Peng, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Beaver472

    Moz Champion Guest

    Beaver472 wrote:
    > Question: can the use of multiple excess folders (more than 6) within
    > the Inbox affect the speed at which email is being received if filters
    > are being used?
    >
    > CSB

    Yes. it can and will.

    The inbox is used to accept incoming mail. Having subfolders within it
    can result in it being unable to accept new mail until the old mail has
    been rewritten to reflect its new (filtered) location.

    Do NOT have subfolders of the inbox
    It will slow down opening of the inbox

    Moz Champion, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Beaver472

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Beaver472 wrote:
    >
    >> Question: can the use of multiple excess folders (more than 6) within
    >> the Inbox affect the speed at which email is being received if filters
    >> are being used?
    >>
    >> CSB

    > Yes. it can and will.
    >
    > The inbox is used to accept incoming mail. Having subfolders within it
    > can result in it being unable to accept new mail until the old mail has
    > been rewritten to reflect its new (filtered) location.
    >
    > Do NOT have subfolders of the inbox
    > It will slow down opening of the inbox

    I have a dozen subfolders under Inbox and two of them have subfolders.
    I have many filters that scan incoming mail and put messages into the
    appropriate folders based on the sender (e.g., a subfolder each for
    Anne, Bob, Chuck, Don, Elaine ... etc.). I see no discernible
    difference in speed of opening the Inbox.

    Perhaps you're intending to say that you shouldn't STORE lots of
    messages in the Inbox or its subfolders? I can see where that might be
    a problem. I don't store many messages in those subfolders but the
    total size of all the mail files under Inbox is about 640 Kb.

    At any rate, it seems to me to be the most logical place to which new
    mail messages should go: a subfolder under Inbox. Heck, they're
    incoming messages.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jun 25, 2005
  5. Beaver472

    Moz Champion Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> Beaver472 wrote:
    >>
    >>> Question: can the use of multiple excess folders (more than 6) within
    >>> the Inbox affect the speed at which email is being received if filters
    >>> are being used?
    >>>
    >>> CSB

    >> Yes. it can and will.
    >>
    >> The inbox is used to accept incoming mail. Having subfolders within it
    >> can result in it being unable to accept new mail until the old mail
    >> has been rewritten to reflect its new (filtered) location.
    >>
    >> Do NOT have subfolders of the inbox
    >> It will slow down opening of the inbox

    > I have a dozen subfolders under Inbox and two of them have subfolders. I
    > have many filters that scan incoming mail and put messages into the
    > appropriate folders based on the sender (e.g., a subfolder each for
    > Anne, Bob, Chuck, Don, Elaine ... etc.). I see no discernible
    > difference in speed of opening the Inbox.
    >
    > Perhaps you're intending to say that you shouldn't STORE lots of
    > messages in the Inbox or its subfolders? I can see where that might be
    > a problem. I don't store many messages in those subfolders but the
    > total size of all the mail files under Inbox is about 640 Kb.
    >
    > At any rate, it seems to me to be the most logical place to which new
    > mail messages should go: a subfolder under Inbox. Heck, they're
    > incoming messages.

    Well, if you have problems, then the 'fix' is to NOT have subfolders of
    the inbox <g>

    In my mind its NOT logical <g>.
    Your inbox on your desk, it has one place to place incoming mail. There
    may be other places in the same stack, but they all require some sort of
    filtering action.

    Once a filter (of any sort) has acted on the incoming mail, then its not
    incoming mail any longer, its been sorted (even minimally) so it
    doesnt belong in the inbox. Thats how I see it anyway.

    Moz Champion, Jun 27, 2005