Multiple Security Types?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by dwacon, Mar 23, 2008.

  1. dwacon

    dwacon Guest

    I got a new router and set it up for the WPA2. Great... all my devices work
    EXCEPT Tivo.

    I would rather not spend $60 for another USB receiver... so I rolled back to
    WEP128.

    Is it possible to use two type of security at the same time... and for that
    matter wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

    Maybe I'll stop being thrifty (read, cheap) and just buy the new device...
    unless I can get 100' RJ-45 for less... (just kidding.. mostly).

    --
    Why do you think Jack ran up the hill?
    He needed love he couldn't get from Jill!

    dwacon, Mar 23, 2008

  2. dwacon

    Barb Bowman Guest

    WEP is NOT safe. you would be compromising everything on your
    network. and yes, you are only as secure as the weakest security on
    the entire network.

    if Tivo does not support WPA2/WPA, get yourself something like the
    DGL-3420 or DAP-1555 from DLink or the equivalent from another
    vendor.

    On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 20:17:12 -0400, "dwacon"
    <> wrote:

    >I got a new router and set it up for the WPA2. Great... all my devices work
    >EXCEPT Tivo.
    >
    >I would rather not spend $60 for another USB receiver... so I rolled back to
    >WEP128.
    >
    >Is it possible to use two type of security at the same time... and for that
    >matter wouldn't that defeat the purpose?
    >
    >Maybe I'll stop being thrifty (read, cheap) and just buy the new device...
    >unless I can get 100' RJ-45 for less... (just kidding.. mostly).

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Mar 23, 2008