    I also tried installing separate copies of FireFox.

    But I'd prefer to be able to use different color schemes and have access to
    a single set of bookmarks. Is that possible?

    Darek, Mar 4, 2005

  2. Darek wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'd like to use two profiles at the same time (one with dark background and
    > white text, the other white background and black text).
    >
    > The profile manager only lets me choose the profile the first time FireFox
    > starts up. Once there is an existing window, the profile manager doesn't
    > start up.
    >
    > I also tried installing separate copies of FireFox.
    >
    > But I'd prefer to be able to use different color schemes and have access to
    > a single set of bookmarks. Is that possible?

    Firefox will only run one instance of itself at a time. You can open
    two windows, but its still only one instance of the program, therefore
    one profile.

    Even if you have two different versions installed in separate locations,
    the executable is still called firefox.exe. Once firefox.exe is
    detected as running, another firefox.exe, even in another location,
    cannot run.

    There is hack on the executable to get around this. It was posted at
    secnews by Stanimir. Note, I have never actually tried this, but
    Stanimir knows his stuff, so it ought to work:

    1. Get a resource editor such as "Resource Hacker"
    <http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/> (541 KBytes). I'll
    use it in my example but it should be similar for other editors as
    well. It doesn't require special installation - just unzip it in a
    convenient directory.

    2. Make a copy of the original "Netscp.exe" in a temporary directory
    and start the "Resource Hacker";

    3. Drag-n-drop the copy of the executable file you've just made into
    the editor window or open it through the editor File menu;

    4. Locate the only "String Table" resource found in the file
    navigating through the tree panel on the left [pic-1];

    5. Change the "Netscape6" string seen in the text field on the right
    to something different (I've used "Netscape72") [pic-2];

    6. Press the "Compile Script" button and choose File -> Save;
    (should I say exit/close the editor)

    7. Now copy the modified executable file back to the Netscape
    program directory but prior that make sure you rename the original
    or make another copy of it. There you go.

    Additionally, one could rename one of the two executables (of the
    two versions of Netscape) so the processes could be distinguished in
    the Task Manger. One would need to update any shortcuts it may have,
    then.

    The same trick could be used to run couple of Mozilla versions
    simultaneously.

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 4, 2005

  3. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Darek wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I'd like to use two profiles at the same time (one with dark
    >> background and white text, the other white background and black text).
    >>
    >> The profile manager only lets me choose the profile the first time
    >> FireFox starts up. Once there is an existing window, the profile
    >> manager doesn't start up.
    >>
    >> I also tried installing separate copies of FireFox.
    >>
    >> But I'd prefer to be able to use different color schemes and have
    >> access to a single set of bookmarks. Is that possible?

    > Firefox will only run one instance of itself at a time. You can open
    > two windows, but its still only one instance of the program, therefore
    > one profile.
    >
    > Even if you have two different versions installed in separate locations,
    > the executable is still called firefox.exe. Once firefox.exe is
    > detected as running, another firefox.exe, even in another location,
    > cannot run.
    >
    > There is hack on the executable to get around this. It was posted at
    > secnews by Stanimir. Note, I have never actually tried this, but
    > Stanimir knows his stuff, so it ought to work:
    >
    > 1. Get a resource editor such as "Resource Hacker"
    > <http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/> (541 KBytes). I'll
    > use it in my example but it should be similar for other editors as
    > well. It doesn't require special installation - just unzip it in a
    > convenient directory.
    >
    > 2. Make a copy of the original "Netscp.exe" in a temporary directory
    > and start the "Resource Hacker";
    >
    > 3. Drag-n-drop the copy of the executable file you've just made into
    > the editor window or open it through the editor File menu;
    >
    > 4. Locate the only "String Table" resource found in the file
    > navigating through the tree panel on the left [pic-1];
    >
    > 5. Change the "Netscape6" string seen in the text field on the right
    > to something different (I've used "Netscape72") [pic-2];
    >
    > 6. Press the "Compile Script" button and choose File -> Save;
    > (should I say exit/close the editor)
    >
    > 7. Now copy the modified executable file back to the Netscape
    > program directory but prior that make sure you rename the original
    > or make another copy of it. There you go.
    >
    > Additionally, one could rename one of the two executables (of the
    > two versions of Netscape) so the processes could be distinguished in
    > the Task Manger. One would need to update any shortcuts it may have,
    > then.
    >
    > The same trick could be used to run couple of Mozilla versions
    > simultaneously.

    Obviously, I should add, modify the above instructions for Firefox, they
    were originally written for Netscape.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 4, 2005
  4. Darek

    Travis Evans Guest

    On 03/04/2005 10:03 AM, Darek wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I'd like to use two profiles at the same time (one with dark background and
    > white text, the other white background and black text).
    >
    > The profile manager only lets me choose the profile the first time FireFox
    > starts up. Once there is an existing window, the profile manager doesn't
    > start up.
    >
    > I also tried installing separate copies of FireFox.
    >
    > But I'd prefer to be able to use different color schemes and have access to
    > a single set of bookmarks. Is that possible?

    Maybe a bookmarklet or something could do it, and you could place it on
    the Bookmarks toolbar and switch color schemes on-the-fly. I don't know
    enough about JavaScript to make one, though.

    --
    Travis

    [My email address listed is valid, but may change from time to time to
    reduce spam. When emailing me, please check one of my recent Usenet
    messages to make sure you are using the current address; otherwise, I
    may not receive your message.]

    Travis Evans, Mar 4, 2005