    just find but I've been out of the business for 5 years and I'm getting old
    so I thought I might ask because I need someone to pat me on the head and
    say it's ok Richard you can do that.
    Richard, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Richard

    zxcvbob Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I know I posted a couple of days ago about Multiple OS's but this is a
    > different question. I only want to add Windows 7 to study so wouldn't a
    > good idea be to get a hard drive holder so I can insert and remove hard
    > drives so not to screw up my main computer with multiple OS's which can
    > lead to some crap happening. So when I want to study my Windows 7 I can
    > just shut down remove my hard drive and insert the hard drive with
    > Windows 7 on it and then do the reserve when I'm ready. I did this about
    > 10 years ago which worked just find but I've been out of the business
    > for 5 years and I'm getting old so I thought I might ask because I need
    > someone to pat me on the head and say it's ok Richard you can do that.

    It works very well with laptops; they are designed to easily remove and
    reinstall the hard-drives. Remove one access screw and they just
    slide/snap in and out. I don't know Windows 7, but I've swapped XP and
    Linux (and Win 98 <--> 2000 back in the bad old days) and each never
    knew the other existed.

    Bob
    zxcvbob, Jun 17, 2009

  3. Richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I know I posted a couple of days ago about Multiple OS's but this is a
    > different question. I only want to add Windows 7 to study so wouldn't a
    > good idea be to get a hard drive holder so I can insert and remove hard
    > drives so not to screw up my main computer with multiple OS's which can
    > lead to some crap happening. So when I want to study my Windows 7 I can
    > just shut down remove my hard drive and insert the hard drive with
    > Windows 7 on it and then do the reserve when I'm ready. I did this
    > about 10 years ago which worked just find but I've been out of the
    > business for 5 years and I'm getting old so I thought I might ask
    > because I need someone to pat me on the head and say it's ok Richard
    > you can do that.

    I have a couple of systems with removable hdd/s and that has certain
    advantages.

    But, depending upon how the system in question is currently populated in
    its case and how easy it would be to have another hdd in the case which
    can be booted from, you might consider not using a removable drive and
    just adding another hdd to a spot inside the case and deciding on a
    method to boot from the original/current drive vs alternatively booting
    from the new extra Win7 drive.

    Most cases have 'one more place' to install another hdd.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 17, 2009
  4. Richard

    elaich Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in

    > I only want to add Windows 7 to study so wouldn't a good
    > idea be to get a hard drive holder so I can insert and remove hard
    > drives so not to screw up my main computer with multiple OS's which
    > can lead to some crap happening.

    Why not just get an external HD USB adaptor?
    elaich, Jun 18, 2009
  5. In message <ve9_l.21681$>, "Richard" wrote:
    > I know I posted a couple of days ago about Multiple OS's but this is a
    > different question. I only want to add Windows 7 to study so wouldn't a
    > good
    > idea be to get a hard drive holder

    Most mini-towers have a spare drive bay to use.

    > so I can insert and remove hard drives

    Just install it and leave it in. Plugging and unplugging connectors leads to
    damaged connectors.

    > so
    > not to screw up my main computer with multiple OS's which can lead to some
    > crap happening. So when I want to study my Windows 7 I can just shut down
    > remove my hard drive and insert the hard drive with Windows 7 on it and
    > then
    > do the reserve when I'm ready. I did this about 10 years ago which worked
    > just find but I've been out of the business for 5 years and I'm getting old
    > so I thought I might ask because I need someone to pat me on the head and
    > say it's ok Richard you can do that.

    Just install a drive and toggle the power *to* the drive with a cheap switch so
    you can choose which drive gets power before you boot.
    Its ugly, its a kludge, but its the cheap and easy way to do it so naturally
    its what *I'd* do :)
    Mount switch on side with duct tape for added beautification...
    HTH

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Jun 18, 2009
  6. Richard

    squirltop Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > I know I posted a couple of days ago about Multiple OS's but this is a
    > different question. I only want to add Windows 7 to study so wouldn't a good
    > idea be to get a hard drive holder so I can insert and remove hard drives so
    > not to screw up my main computer with multiple OS's which can lead to some
    > crap happening. So when I want to study my Windows 7 I can just shut down
    > remove my hard drive and insert the hard drive with Windows 7 on it and then
    > do the reserve when I'm ready. I did this about 10 years ago which worked
    > just find but I've been out of the business for 5 years and I'm getting old
    > so I thought I might ask because I need someone to pat me on the head and
    > say it's ok Richard you can do that.

    I've broke pins (connectors) by removing and hooking up HDs too
    often.

    I think your only issues would be safely making a partition for win7
    and and restoring the operating system(s) booting, which 'may' be lost
    after installing win7.

    I know there are booting restore utilities, and with linux (pclinux)
    I've used 'redolilo' to restore booting.

    seems ubcd (ultimate doot cd) has utilities for booting on it, but
    I've never used any of them.
    squirltop, Jun 18, 2009
  7. Richard

    Andy Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > I know I posted a couple of days ago about Multiple OS's but this is a
    > different question. I only want to add Windows 7 to study so wouldn't a good
    > idea be to get a hard drive holder so I can insert and remove hard drives so
    > not to screw up my main computer with multiple OS's which can lead to some
    > crap happening. So when I want to study my Windows 7 I can just shut down
    > remove my hard drive and insert the hard drive with Windows 7 on it and then
    > do the reserve when I'm ready. I did this about 10 years ago which worked
    > just find but I've been out of the business for 5 years and I'm getting old
    > so I thought I might ask because I need someone to pat me on the head and
    > say it's ok Richard you can do that.

    VirtualBox.

    HTH,
    Andy.