    (one of the problems was that i tried to play black and white 2 but it said
    i was using Microsoft Windows Server 2003 family, Professional Service Pack 1
    (Build 3790) and it requires windows xp or 2000, but i thought i was using xp)
    =?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?=, Nov 7, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, J.V.d.b.

    > since i read on this forum to install the newest version of windows the
    > last

    When you install the 32-bit version to a system that already has WinXP x64
    installed, the 32-bit Setup will overwrite the newer startup files (C:\NTLDR
    and C:|NTDETECT.COM) with the older versions. The older ones have the same
    names, but they are dated earlier and they are smaller because they don't
    include instructions for booting the newer WinXP x64.

    So long as you follow the proper procedures (install 32-bit WinXP to a
    different volume from x64, for example), all you should have to do is to
    "repair" the startup files after the 32-bit installation. You can do this
    in several ways. One is to boot from the WinXP x64 CD-ROM and run the
    Recovery Console, using its FixMBR and FixBoot commands to restore the newer
    startup files. Another way is to boot into WinXP and copy the newer
    versions over the older ones; they are System and Hidden files, so you will
    have to remove those Attributes before copying - and set the Attributes
    again afterwards. (The long way is to do a repair install of WinXP x64
    after the 32-bit installation, but that's overkill.)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Nov 7, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You can change the boot order of your hard drives making the new x86the boot
    drive. Install the system and when you are done, change the order back.
    You can also make a new file on the current drive, copy the two files ntldr
    and ntdetect.com into it. Install the new system, and when you boot up in
    x86 you can move the two saved files back, replacing the two that are
    installed by x86.
    They also can be drag and dropped from the x64 install disk.

    John Barnes, Nov 8, 2005
  4. thanks, but what about the drivers ? since 32bit and 64bit need different
    chipset drivers for the same bios version. So can I just install the normal
    xp and install different drivers into normal xp later or will that cause
    problems ?

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?=, Nov 8, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Install the Sata or Raid drivers you need at F6 (32-bit) when you install
    x86. If you have an nforce3 or 4 you won't need drivers for the install.
    After the systems are installed, download and install the new chipset driver
    packages from Nvidia or from the website of the mobo.
    If you have a BIOS that warns you will have problems if you install the BIOS
    before a certain chipset version, personally, I would reinstall the older
    BIOS, get your chipset drivers updated in both systems and then reinstall
    the later version, but that is just my cautious approach.

    John Barnes, Nov 8, 2005
  6. thanks, guess i know what to do now, ill go for the cautious approach

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?=, Nov 8, 2005
  7. I have the same motherboard as you (very interesting...!!!) and I happened to
    find the updated BIOS drivers on the ASUS website. Would you be able to help
    me find out how to install the latest chipset drivers, and update the BIOS to
    the latest version (I have 1006, and the latest is 1011)

    I tried the windows based BIOS update utility, but that didn't work. How
    did you do it?

    Also, do you have issues that the PC does not go into standby completely
    (i.e. fans run, and power supply fan is still running...)? I also find that
    trying to reboot, the PC just hangs at the blue screen just before it goes
    black.

    Do you know of any settings I need to change in the BIOS? I have both the
    power management options enabled S1 and S3...
    Enough for now.

    Thanks in advance...

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgRmFqY3o=?=, Nov 9, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Si5WLmQuYi4=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I don't know where you are looking, but the latest BIOS for the A8N-SLI
    Deluxe (maybe you have a different model) is 1014 (or 1015.005 beta). The
    chipset driver package is clearly presented and you download it and click on
    it. It decompresses itself onto your C (default) drive. Follow the install
    instructions. Then you can update the BIOS. Download AWDFLASH and the BIOS
    and create a bootable floppy, put the two files on it and set your BIOS to
    boot from a floppy first. At the A prompt, type AWDFLASH and when asked
    type the name of the BIOS ie 1014.bin
    If you have AVAST A/V that may be causing your shutdown problem.

    John Barnes, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Thanks John.

    Yes, I have Avast AV. I guess that may be it. I'll try disabling it to see.

    Thanks for the BIOS info. I thought there might be something with the
    software. I have updated with floppies before, but it looks like I'll have
    to do it again.

    James.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXMgRmFqY3o=?=, Nov 12, 2005