    particular server and both have different groups. How can I do this?
    Thanks,
    Cartman.

    Cartman, Jul 9, 2005

  2. Cartman

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:30:59 +1000, in message
     <42cf5303$0$786$>, Cartman wrote:

    > I know that Thunderbird can do multiple news servers, but I need it to
    > handle multiple instances of a news server - I have 2 logins for a
    > particular server and both have different groups. How can I do this?
    > Thanks,
    > Cartman.

    Some servers have more than one domain name, all pointing
    to the server's IP address. Use one of these other domain
    names for the other instance. If there isn't another one,
    use the server's IP address directly.

    For example, all 5 of these are equivalent.

    news.westnet.com.au
    news.wn.com.au
    quokka.westnet.com.au
    quokka.wn.com.au
    202.72.130.18

    The IP address (e.g. 202.72.130.18) should be considered a last resort.
    IP addresses can change, and if so any instance using the IP address
    will fail.

    --
    Cheers
    Ralph

    "It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making
    decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who
    pay no price for being wrong." -- Thomas Sowell

    Ralph Fox, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Cartman

    Cartman Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:30:59 +1000, in message
    > <42cf5303$0$786$>, Cartman wrote:
    >

    >>I know that Thunderbird can do multiple news servers, but I need it to
    >>handle multiple instances of a news server - I have 2 logins for a
    >>particular server and both have different groups. How can I do this?
    >>Thanks,
    >>Cartman.

    > Some servers have more than one domain name, all pointing
    > to the server's IP address. Use one of these other domain
    > names for the other instance. If there isn't another one,
    > use the server's IP address directly.
    >
    > For example, all 5 of these are equivalent.
    >
    > news.westnet.com.au
    > news.wn.com.au
    > quokka.westnet.com.au
    > quokka.wn.com.au
    > 202.72.130.18
    >
    > The IP address (e.g. 202.72.130.18) should be considered a last resort.
    > IP addresses can change, and if so any instance using the IP address
    > will fail.

    Thanks alot that one slipped my mind :)

    Cartman, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Cartman

    Splibbilla Guest

    Cartman <> in
    u:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >> On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 14:30:59 +1000, in message
    >> <42cf5303$0$786$
    >> u>, Cartman wrote:
    >>

    >>>I know that Thunderbird can do multiple news servers, but I need it
    >>>to handle multiple instances of a news server - I have 2 logins for a
    >>>particular server and both have different groups. How can I do this?
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Cartman.

    >> Some servers have more than one domain name, all pointing
    >> to the server's IP address. Use one of these other domain
    >> names for the other instance. If there isn't another one, use the
    >> server's IP address directly.
    >>
    >> For example, all 5 of these are equivalent.
    >>
    >> news.westnet.com.au news.wn.com.au quokka.westnet.com.au
    >> quokka.wn.com.au 202.72.130.18
    >>
    >> The IP address (e.g. 202.72.130.18) should be considered a last
    >> resort. IP addresses can change, and if so any instance using the IP
    >> address will fail.

    i occasionally test my ISP's servers with a ping BAT.

    one IP gives far faster results than the other IPs for nntp.

    so i use the IP. also, DNS failure occurs far more often (never had the IP change, but DNS goes down every couple months)

    so when DNs is down, i alwasy have mail and nntp

    also good idea to bookmark teh IP versoin of critcal websites (such as your ISP and some of teh lookup sites, DNSTUFF = DNS
    Stuff 66.36.247.82 DNS hosting tests, WHOIS, tracert, ping, network domain name tools)

    somewhere i have an IP for google :)
    do it again

    http://66.36.247.82/tools/lookup.ch?name=www.google.dk&type=A
    Domain Type Class TTL Answer

    www.l.google.com. A IN 300 64.233.161.104

    www.l.google.com. A IN 300 64.233.161.99

    www.l.google.com. A IN 300 64.233.161.147

    oh yeah, now i remember i crammed the results inot a text file in my ping.bat folder.

    Splibbilla, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Cartman

    Splibbilla Guest

    echo. |date |find "Current" >>MsPingResult.txt
    echo. MsPing,FtpNntp >>MsPingResult.txt
    ping www.microsoft.com >>MsPingResult.txt
    ping 198.105.232.1 >>MsPingResult.txt
    ping ftp.microsoft.com >>MsPingResult.txt
    ping 198.105.232.6 >>MsPingResult.txt
    ping Msnnews.msn.com >>MsPingResult.txt

    those are the lines in my MsPing.BAT

    the first line doesn't seem to always work.

    Splibbilla, Jul 11, 2005